Rare Poster
Gear: Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switchblade 11m experience?

Postby Spider00de » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Hallo,

I am considering to buy an 11m Switchblade 2017. Right now I have an 9m Switchblade as well and I would like to replace my 12m Best TS with a 11m Switchblade.

Has anyone experience with this size? Does the kite have an appropriate turning speed? Since I also have a WaveBoard, is the 11m Switchblade still suitable for wave kiting.

Thanks a lot

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Re: Switchblade 11m experience?

Postby Bartolo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:29 pm

No. I wouldn't go there, as a wave kite. I had a Switchbl. 10m but it is not suitable as a wave kite imo.Too slow turning. And 11m is bigger so even slower. Actually I was just saying to my buddy today that I finally found a good 10m kite that is good for TT and lightwind surfboard. (For smaller sizes 9/7/5 I use wave kites, for lighter wind I always want an allround kite that is suitable for freeride/jumping TT and surfboard) I tried Switchblade , Naish Pivot and Catalyst, all 10m but none of them I really liked as a lightwind wavekite. Now I am riding the Eleveight RS 10m, (which is succesor brand of your best ts designer) and it really shines.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Yup. That RS is maybe the most all-round kite I’ve ever had the pleasure of flying. I for one am very tempted by Eleveight kites as a future quiver. And this is their first range! Can’t wait to see how they keep developing their line up.

Spider00de
Rare Poster

Postby Spider00de » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm

I would not like to change to Eleveight. I experienced a quiet bad customer service with Best. Eleveight is new on the market an time will show how it works. That is why I prefer a more stable brand like Cabrinha. And I really like the 9qm switchblade even in waves. Has a nice drift imho...

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Spider00de wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm
I would not like to change to Eleveight. I experienced a quiet bad customer service with Best. Eleveight is new on the market an time will show how it works. That is why I prefer a more stable brand like Cabrinha. And I really like the 9qm switchblade even in waves. Has a nice drift imho...
If you want to stay with Cab, consider a 12m FX. Lighter, so works better in low winds.

Eleveight is old Best without the bad parts basically. I think it's a safe bet also.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Spider00de wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm
I understand your point with Best. I have seen a lot of complaints about their support. That's, at least what I understood, the reason some employees decided to start their own brand Eleveight. Offcourse they have to proof themselves now but as for me so far so good.

I agree the Switchblade drifts okay, that was not my point, I think it is sluggish and rather slow turning. You might give the Cab Drifter a thought also, better for waves but less for jumping, if that's what you want.

Spider00de
Rare Poster

Postby Spider00de » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 pm

I really like jumping with my TwinTip as well and I like the lift of the SB. But now also starting to play in the waves with the directional... probably an all around kite is the best.

Anyone experience with the differences of the SB in 11m and 12m?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 pm

I have had 12m SB and 10M SB. 10M was definitely a little faster and flew like a typical SB, lot's of pull, heavy bar pressure. I can only guess the 11m would be slightly faster than the 12m. As far as waves go SB would not be a great choice IMO. I really like my EVOS for all around kite better than my old SBs.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 pm

If you have a 9m I would get the 12m.
The twelve is really fun for jumping on twintip but a little slow for surfboards (I am not sure other twelves are much faster )

Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Postby Van Hunk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am

Ahoi

If you have a 9 go for the 12 switchblade. You won't regret it. It is slower but you'll be kiting when most other guys are sitting on the beach staring at their navels hoping for more wind.

My suggestion is also to further pimp your quiver by buying 6m line extensions from your Cab dealer. (Gets you to 30m lines)

Line extentions turn your 9 into a 11 and your 12 into a 14 when required. (line extensions is without a doubt the most value you can add to your quiver for the least amount of money.)

Good luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”