Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Prodigy??

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Prodigy??

Postby matth » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Who's flying them and what do you think. Some reviews make it sound like a beginner kite, whatever that is. And most others say it's a great all around kite, and pretty good wave kite. I also have read its good in gusty wind and depowers really well, all attributes I really like. I have a 12m Flite and love it, But I was thinking Prodigy for the high wind days..7m and a 9.5.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Prodigy??

Postby madworld » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 am

I have them and love them, best all around free riding kite, lots of range, very stable, works in waves etc etc Bla Bla . :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

I have 18 years of kite-boarding experience. Good from beginner to expert to old man. :thumb:

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 pm

I had one, and it's a good all-around kite, decent booster, works really well in gusty conditions. I've since switched to the Roams just because I'm 95% of the time on a surfboard. I've only flown the 14.5m Flite, but the Prodigy has a similar feel. I would highly recommend it for smaller sizes to soak up gusts, it's great for that, better than the Razor and certainly the Flite.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm

sounds good thanks..

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for reviews on Prodigy.. sounds like it would do the job.

I just picked up a Duke and have to say it is a fantastic surfboard for me. I have owned others and nothing has come close to the smoothness of this board. Just eats chop and messy waves like no other IMO. Love it!!!

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:07 pm

matth wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:12 pm
Thanks for reviews on Prodigy.. sounds like it would do the job.

I just picked up a Duke and have to say it is a fantastic surfboard for me. I have owned others and nothing has come close to the smoothness of this board. Just eats chop and messy waves like no other IMO. Love it!!!
Agreed, I will always have the Duke in my quiver, I ride a more traditional shaped surfboard if the waves are decent or spaced out well, but always go back to the Duke. Jester is fun as well.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:08 am

matth wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm
Who's flying them and what do you think. Some reviews make it sound like a beginner kite, whatever that is. And most others say it's a great all around kite, and pretty good wave kite. I also have read its good in gusty wind and depowers really well, all attributes I really like. I have a 12m Flite and love it, But I was thinking Prodigy for the high wind days..7m and a 9.5.
Matth, why not stay with Evos?

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:24 am

alford wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:08 am
matth wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm
Matth, why not stay with Evos?
I'm keeping the Evos to share with my son who is taking up kiting, they are 2016 and I love them. I just want to build a second quiver and really like OR kites.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Has thanked: 0

Postby zig zag » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Great all rounder.. the president of Ocean Rodeo rides these everyday!

I've flown them for over 6yrs now and they weren't even around when I took lessons flying a Razor!

its a set and forget kite.. in the gusty conditions it soaks up and drifts well! my favorite is the 7m for those windy days over 35knots!

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Disclaimer: I sell these and many others...

Matth,
Last year I had the Flite 17/12/8 combo and have now shifted to the 17/12 Flite and 9.5/7 Prodigy. I flew the CRAP out of my 9.5 while I was in the OBX a couple of months ago. I have always liked that 9.5 Prodigy anytime I've ever been on them in the past. I don't know why I waited so long to finally get them. They eat the gusts up like snacks. I've not gotten out on the 7m yet, as I mostly plan to use that when we're been advised to evacuate. :lol:
At any rate, don't let the "beginner kite" description from someone else throw you off. It's got plenty of performance to offer! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”