Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flying an IDS kite (two line safety) using one line safety bar

Forum for kitesurfers
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Flying an IDS kite (two line safety) using one line safety bar

Postby HALF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Can I fly my 2010 Cabrinha Convert IDS with my new North Click bar?
I am wondering if the bridle will handle one line safety release.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Flying an IDS kite (two line safety) using one line safety bar

Postby edt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Should be fine. Try it in light wind conditions first, but I suggest doing that for all control bars, just to see what happens.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 pm

[removed speculation since answer is below]
Last edited by dylan* on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Cabrinha like most kite companies never "cross dress" by this I mean they never test kites and control bars that weren't designed together. So it won't show up in the spreadsheet as "working". It wasn't designed to work and they never tested it so yeah it's up to the customer to go out of spec and find out if it works or not. I understand. There are only so many hours in a day and for Cabrinha the most important thing is tweaking their entire product every year so everything is different and I guess when it's different people buy more kites. Anyway, use that Cab compatibility spreadsheet not as a rule but as a suggestion that doesn't cover stuff that they don't test. But it should work fine the attachment points are more than strong enough. The only problem you might have is because of the different placement of the "Y" on the center lines the kite might have less pinching (about 1 or 2 kilos less, depending) and while for some kites (like the North Rebel or Naish torch) that matters I don't think it's a detectable difference for the cab lineup.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Cabrinha like most kite companies never "cross dress" by this I mean they never test kites and control bars that weren't designed together. So it won't show up in the spreadsheet as "working". It wasn't designed to work and they never tested it so yeah it's up to the customer to go out of spec and find out if it works or not. I understand. There are only so many hours in a day and for Cabrinha the most important thing is tweaking their entire product every year so everything is different and I guess when it's different people buy more kites. Anyway, use that Cab compatibility spreadsheet not as a rule but as a suggestion that doesn't cover stuff that they don't test. But it should work fine the attachment points are more than strong enough. The only problem you might have is because of the different placement of the "Y" on the center lines the kite might have less pinching (about 1 or 2 kilos less, depending) and while for some kites (like the North Rebel or Naish torch) that matters I don't think it's a detectable difference for the cab lineup.
BINGO! Product liability precludes us from saying things work when they haven't been tested properly.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ralu81 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I posted a similar question and I did test it before going out and it worked fine with no issues. I tested it in moderate winds for the kite. Either way it reacted the same way my single line kites do when I flagged out.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Today I tried it with my girlfriends Slingshot Sentinel bar, and it was so much better, it is amazing. The original Cabrinha IDS bar has so much throw it is hard to reach (and the bar stopper doesn't lock well enough), but today with the new bar it was perfect. I hated the kite with the old bar, today I decided to keep it.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Similarly, I fly my 2012 Cabrinha Vector 12m on my Best single-line-flag bar no problems. I like the confidence that if at the end of a long solo downwinder I am overpowered I can just let it go to the leash, and have done that.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby timothymcmackin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:31 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm
The only problem you might have is because of the different placement of the "Y" on the center lines the kite might have less pinching (about 1 or 2 kilos less, depending) and while for some kites (like the North Rebel or Naish torch) that matters I don't think it's a detectable difference for the cab lineup.
Thanks for that tidbit. I'm looking to replace the bar for my 2012 IDS SBs and I was worried because the Y in the center lines looks way closer to the bar in the 2018 Cab trimlite bar than on my 2012 bars.

Is there anything I should be watching for in the performance of the kites that would indicate that the lower Y is causing a problem for them? Not sure what less "pinching" of the center lines would mean for the kite performance.

I guess now that most bars flag onto a single line, it matters less that the bar is compatible with the kite and more that I'm comfortable with the bar and with its adjustment and depower options and with how user-friendly it is. Guess I get to go to the store and heft some bars! :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”