Local Beach: Folkestone
Favorite Beaches: camber
Gear: ozone north evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bar compatibilty

Postby alec123 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 am

my kite is a north evo 9m 2011 but the bar ive got is from my 13m ozone c4 2016 kite can i fly my north on the same bar as both are set up as four line kites

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Re: bar compatibilty

Postby davedej » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:33 pm

The 2011 North Evo kites are designed for a (4 or 5) high split bar;
2011 trust bar.GIF
Although not everybody wil agree, it is better not the combine the low split Ozon bar with this kite since it will not fly the same as intended. Possibly you need to adjust the back or front lines length to make it work.

See als the opinions on http://www.wetestkites.com/2017/01/02/p ... orth-dice/

Dave
We Test Kites

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 pm

It will work just fine. One would really have pick his nose to find a difference in performance when flying a 9m kite on a high-Y-split vs a V-split bars.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:32 pm

The major difference with Y line is stability in high wind range - the y reduces the kite flare jelly fish.. which means your out of its wind range, send it hard, all kites behave better when doing the Eddie the Eagle thing :thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 am

It is easy enough to put a SS ring in one of the front lines at the height you want and shorten the other front line the same amount. You can then slide the other front line in and out of the SS ring to have a y or v setup. Just know that with the y setup the lines have to go a longer distance to the kite so are functionally a bit shorter so you should lengthen the front line kite bridle or shorten the back lines a bit on the kite side. Experiment and see for yourself how much difference there is on that kite for you.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:43 am

you can use the v distributor from North Click Bar 2018 - $5

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 pm
It will work just fine. One would really have pick his nose to find a difference in performance when flying a 9m kite on a high-Y-split vs a V-split bars.
Sometimes the kites can fly well in both configurations. I can name at least 2 brands that are designed for a low V that fly awfully with a high Y in a really noticeable way (took me 20 minutes of flying a brand new kite that appeared to be a stinker before I remembered I had left in the Y distributor on the bar) and one brand designed for a high Y that flies poorly with a low V. All tested at 9m size. It MIGHT make a difference. You can only test it and see.

I'd personally also consider whether the single front line flag on the Ozone bar would safely flag out the Evo which is designed for a dual line safety. I seem to remember the north reps on the forums saying they only tested back to 2012 for backwards compatibility with the 2015 single line release bars as they found the earlier kites could go into a death loop when the safety was triggered. Not so much a problem when on the water as you can deal with it (search youtube for 'surviving the death loop') but not so good if you ever need to trigger the release on the beach and it starts looping away towards curious bystanders.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:47 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm
alexeyga wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 pm
Sometimes the kites can fly well in both configurations. I can name at least 2 brands that are designed for a low V that fly awfully with a high Y in a really noticeable way (took me 20 minutes of flying a brand new kite that appeared to be a stinker before I remembered I had left in the Y distributor on the bar) and one brand designed for a high Y that flies poorly with a low V. All tested at 9m size. It MIGHT make a difference. You can only test it and see.

I'd personally also consider whether the single front line flag on the Ozone bar would safely flag out the Evo which is designed for a dual line safety. I seem to remember the north reps on the forums saying they only tested back to 2012 for backwards compatibility with the 2015 single line release bars as they found the earlier kites could go into a death loop when the safety was triggered. Not so much a problem when on the water as you can deal with it (search youtube for 'surviving the death loop') but not so good if you ever need to trigger the release on the beach and it starts looping away towards curious bystanders.
I will repeat my-self from some other thread:
-Kites designed to be flown on a V-split shouldn't be flown of the Y-split bars.
-Kites designed to be flown on a Y-split can be flown on any bar. (there are some odd purposefully-designed-for-Y-split exceptions, which attests more to idiotic design decisions than anything else)
-Any kite will flag out on a single front line safety. That's just the nature of things. You flag a flying rag with 4 attachment points - to 1 point and it just folds and looses power. Even if it's not approved by dual-cough-dildo-cough-North engineers - in my books it's still safer than than any 2-front-lines kite on a stock 2-front-lines bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”