Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Oahu Dream Holiday

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Oahu Dream Holiday

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Im thinking of going their for my dream kiting holiday in a few weeks. Is there a link to local kitesurfing forum or something. Also does anyone know where its better to base yourself.
Thinking 7m Screamer and 9m Xr5 75kg.. would this be enough ?
Hotels very expensive for 14 days so might try air bnb for a place to sleep..
Any other suggestions would be great :)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Oahu Dream Holiday

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Oahu isn't exactly a kiteboarding mecca.

There is good kiting in 2 spots, Kailua and Mokuleia. Moks is more reliable wind in the summer but it's far to get to and remote once you are there.

I would get a rental in Kailua (there are no hotels there) and get a car so you can drive up to moks.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 pm

I used to live there years ago and my go to kites were 12 & 16. I'm 105 kg, so heavier than you. And kites are significantly better now than back then. But, Oahu isn't Maui. Slappysan is right about the 2 main spots. Kailua is easy to get to and very beautiful/family friendly beach. Mokes is...not so much. For some up to date info, I'd shoot a PM to Tautologies and let him fill you in. He's been there as far back as I can remember and still rides. He's also an active member here. Good luck! :thumb:

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Sendit and Slapsam are dead right in my limited experience of kiting on Oahu in the summer. I took the opportunity of learning to ride strapless at Mokuleia, with encouragement from some of the locals about five years ago, like Felix of Switch kites, even got to watch Tophat ride! Also enjoyed a mellow day at Kailua, but my 9m only got used on Maui. I'm 85kg and reasonably competent. No advice on where to stay, I stayed with my brother.

kenn f poulsen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: jomfrugaard
Favorite Beaches: Lanes on maui :o)
Style: wave
Gear: Neo- kazumasurfboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kenn f poulsen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 am

for kitesurf...go to maui..

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks for your replies... which leads me to think ive asked the wrong question..

Ok what would be the best way to have a kiting holiday for two weeks in Hawaii - any islands ?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:19 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 am
Thanks for your replies... which leads me to think ive asked the wrong question..

Ok what would be the best way to have a kiting holiday for two weeks in Hawaii - any islands ?
Like others have mentioned,Maui. You can always island hop if you want to do some look see of other islands. I spend 3 weeks at a time on maui and theres so much to do,see and explore.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Agreed that Maui is the place to go for stronger winds, although in summer the waves are generally disappointing. But there is plenty more to do, get a travel guide book.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:25 am

Go to Maui, stay on the north shore, maybe Paia, or somewhere around there. Paia can be a bit of a traffic bottleneck, but otherwise it's just lovely around there, there's so much to see and do nearby. It's a 15 min drive from Paia to kite beach. Plenty of alternatives for non windy days, though you may not need them. Accommodation, as well as everything else, is expensive. If your budget is stretched, there's a superb backpackers in Paia.

Return to “Kitesurfing”