Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Powered kiteloop, fronthand not staying on bar.

Forum for kitesurfers
BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Powered kiteloop, fronthand not staying on bar.

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Hoping for some technique advice on powered loops.
I am very comfortable doing surface downloops, surface kiteloops and heliloops as well as looping back to untwist lines.

I have worked on powered loops right as I leave the water for maximum power for a while. However, I notice that I can not keep my fronthand on the bar during these loops. They are so powerful that I often only can keep the backhand on the bar, which means I need to complete the loop with one hand.
For control reasons, I would rather keep both hands on the bar. Should I try to flex more forward in the waist to follow the power to be able to hold on?

Tips would be great.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Powered kiteloop, fronthand not staying on bar.

Postby edt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:28 pm

I usually "fishpole" the bar in a kiteloop unless I'm doing a drag or grab or something like that. I put both hands on the rear part of the bar. There's no reason you actually need to put your hand on the front part of the bar in a kiteloop. Keep doing what you are doing

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 pm

edt wrote: I usually "fishpole" the bar in a kiteloop unless I'm doing a drag or grab or something like that. I put both hands on the rear part of the bar. There's no reason you actually need to put your hand on the front part of the bar in a kiteloop. Keep doing what you are doing
Thanks, very appreciated!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 am

Maybe move your front hand toward the middle of bar.I use both hands so I can control the speed of kite through the loop.I don't fishpole the bar with my kites(rpm) because that will result in a wimpy/weak loop.I try to steer the kite so I'm at least even with kite as I bring it back up.Don't think I could steer,depower,power up with one hand on bar.But that's just me.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 am

Perhaps your throwing the loop too early - let it pull you up higher until you feel the kite reduces its lift then pull it...
Work your way back to a happy medium... steered loop..

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:34 pm

That's weird, you are hooked in shouldn't be a problem keeping both hands on bar, try maybe front hand closer to center and back hand in middle of bar, that's usually what i do. Well when bar pressure isn't bad i even keep both hands in middle of bar it's usually enough to crank bar.
Both hands on bar is really better eventually you develop some muscle memory and can sheet in or out tiny incement while it loops depending on radius, speed and how stally you feel the loop is going to be.

Another point is probaby whether your shoulder are square to the kite and your stance keeping strong core, if you get yanked out of your stance into a half rotated superman i guess it would be possible to let go of front hand.,

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 pm

You want to be able to do kiteloops with just one hand so you can do grabs on your loop. Nose or crab grabs look nice. I understand with both hands on the bar you can get the kite lower, but I would rather have a nice grab than get the kite lower.

Return to “Kitesurfing”