Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gaastra pure vs switchblade

Forum for kitesurfers
oshaugho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gaastra pure vs switchblade

Postby oshaugho » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Anyone here have any experience on either of these kites? I am looking at either in 2018. I would be looking at 12m in switchblade and 1em in Ga pure
I have flown the switchblade in 11m boardering on overpowered and like it. Great all rounder excellent lift and float and good pop. Nice medium bar pressure. Only issue i have is not available in 13m which is perfect size for me.

No experience with ga pure but the limited available reviews sound good.
I know the switchblade is a powerful kite. Woukd the 12m switchblade compare to the 13m pure? I am 98kgs and in this size kite i would be mainly freeriding/jumping with some limited unhooking. I like to hold as much power as possible and not spend my time working the arse out of it.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Re: Gaastra pure vs switchblade

Postby mikelet » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:39 pm

What kind of material is Gaastra using for the LE and for the canopy ??? :roll: who knows ?, no info in their site....
My experience with Gaastra many ,many years ago (Stealths) , was Nylon Canopys that tend to stretch alot with the time....instead of a proven single,double,triple,or quad (overweigth :D ) Ripstop poly... Maybe they changed materials with the time...
I sincerely prefer a single Ripstop over a Nylon canopy...
Every brand should let us know on their website what kind of material are they using on their kites...... :roll:
That said , maybe the performance it's there and it's a superb kite ...i don't have the pleasure to try....
On the other hand , Switchs are a proven design made with proven and recognized materials on the industry.... :bye:

oshaugho

Postby oshaugho » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Not really any info there but thanks for your input.
Anyine who has actually tried both here who could provide some input?

oshaugho

Postby oshaugho » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am

If no one has experience with both can anyone comment on the low end of the 2018 12m switchblade?
I am coming off a 13m blade mist (freestyle bridles c style kite) that has good low end for my 100kgs. Can start having fun from 16 kts. Would 12m switchblade be similar?

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 pm

I start having fun (jump etc.) at 14knots with a 135 twintip and I weigh 85kg.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dazarter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:46 pm

I ride a Gaastra Pure 2016 in 13 - 10 - 8 and love the kites to bits - the best ive used so far.....

Materials are excellent - i thing single ripstop with some dacron on the edge - no pullies nothing really to wear out. i run a switch and a liquid force bar with the kites - the 13 mainly with 27 m lines to give it mor dive in light conditions. They are not the most powerfull kites but i feels perfectly balenced and a very good mixture for the hight and low ends....
ive had kites (liquid force 14m) that had a great lowend but stoped at 16 knots! my Gastra 13 goes from 13 knots to about 30 (nice is untill about 22Knots :D ) lower than that i go sup boarding or mountain biking to give me stamina for more time on the water :D

I would describe the Pure 2016 (similar to 2017) to be a higher performace alround kite that is great fun and relative easy to fly - quick but not too fast, water start is perfect - short bridles. i can also say its a jumping machine and really does have great pull upwards (thats why i would not recommend the kite for beginners) the 13 with longer lines slows it down and allows more control and time in the air for tricks.
I have no comparison to a switch blade (should also be a good kite) . the bar pressure is in the middle catergory - i like it light for long sessions but the pure seems to hit the point and it has a perfect feel and you always no where the kite is :D .

I also had an older gaastra jeykl which was so well made it was bulletproof but also too heavy but in a 9 m that does not really matter. the pure is lighter ( 3 stuts are more than enough) with much less dacron material and seems to be holding up really well my third session has just started with the kites and there are no signs of wear and tear - i do look after my kites....
living in Germany gaastra are becoming popular again and rightly so, they are cheaper than most and are great to ride....with no drops in the qualitat ...

oh yea i weigh 82 kg dry (board 142x42) - so i quess the pure 13 would be good from about 15 knots with twintip for your 100 (real world knots :thumb: )

Hope i could help....

PNWKiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha/Duotone/Slingshot

Postby PNWKiter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 pm

There is a reason the Switchblade is the #1 selling kite in the world. The kites huge range and boosting ability is second to none. You also get the support of Cabrinha dealers around the world, something that Gaastra cannot offer. I have bought quivers of Switchblades for years and have never been disappointed!

dazarter
Medium Poster

Postby dazarter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am

Switchblades are proberly very good kites but from experience, gaastra are and i know very good kites. was out yesterday a bit overpowered in winds from 17 to 27 knots with my 13 qm 2016 Pure jumping what felt like to the moon :D - thats my woo measurement - and fully in control most of the time. I have to say im not a person who follows the crowds and just buys into the big overhyped marketing brands who add a good few hundred euros - dollars just that you can ride there kites. Im dont kitesurf to pose on the beach infact im very happy on my own just enjoying the wind and nature....im saying this because i dont let marketing influence my buying habits. I test - compare prices - test again and then buy what works for for me - if you have the chance i would test both...most kites today are very well made with just small fine differences - that can made a diffence to your riding :o

dazarter
Medium Poster

Postby dazarter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am

Forgot to say - ive had the best support from Gaastra - always answering my questions straight away, parts always available - very friendly
its was a different story from the support at Slinghot - also a good kite but i had not support and no spare parts were available!

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm 116Kg and rig my 12m S/B when it's blowing a fairly steady 17 to 22 knots (ignoring typical gusts)
I'd use a C/F TT Elite 140 in this wind
Hope this helps.

Have you considered a 13m Ozone Edge? From your OP this sounds ideal.

oshaugho wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am
If no one has experience with both can anyone comment on the low end of the 2018 12m switchblade?
I am coming off a 13m blade mist (freestyle bridles c style kite) that has good low end for my 100kgs. Can start having fun from 16 kts. Would 12m switchblade be similar?

Return to “Kitesurfing”