Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North & Duotone - Your Questions Answered by CEO Till Eberle

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 pm

doesn't matter how you spin it ...this name is stupid ..
this is what happens when a bunch of kitesurfers given up their day job and dabble in marketing...
BTW: did you know that Google wasn't called google ...it was ...backrub.... thank god they did change the name..
people who think names don't matter live under a rock or have no idea of branding or psychology behind names..
Kitesurfing is a mature industry and every kite is made of same materials in few factories so branding and marketing is where the battle is and North made a big mistake...

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/the- ... ?r=US&IR=T

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North & Duotone - Your Questions Answered by CEO Till Eberle

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 am

Nice article. Personally I don't think the name is very good, too many syllables. 2tone would have been better, Ion as already establish would have been much better. Before if Ion was instead North I would have been more likely to buy from them, such is brand power. It will be interesting to see if a brand can fail merely from a significant name change. I don't think that can happen though in isolation to other things. Brands are often built from their products. What I would say will be a contributor to the downfall of Dtone is the blindsidedness of the likes of Ken Winner to things like foil kites. Already they lose their most lucrative customers to foilkite brands.

Return to “Kitesurfing”