Style: N/a
Gear: North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Safety line slack under the Y, north trust bar 2013 5th

Postby Amin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey All,

I just got a 2013 north trust bar 5 lines and when I was trimming it I noticed that the red safety line under the Y is very loose. I wanted to know if this is normal or if it should be considered as a problem ? FYI - All lines are same length above the Y, the bar was actually perfectly trimmed but still this slack and longer red safety line worries me. Ps: I am completely new to kitesurfing please be indulgent if my question is stupid. Before asking it I searched on many forum and couldn’t find an exact answer with 5th line length on north trust bars. Actually this line is composed of 4 different segments ( one red, attached to one blue, then one yellow and finally one blue again after the Y, this goes with three balls and the Y ring, plus the leash loop.
A7112CF8-F0F4-458D-AE9A-B126F100A8A2.jpeg
As you can see the red line is slack
F698FB6A-3BED-4728-A4BD-97269A1B241B.jpeg
I have to pull about 20cm on the leash ring to make it straight as other lines.
Many thanks 🙏

Amin

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Safety line slack under the Y, north trust bar 2013 5th

Postby sarc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 am

20cm is fine. It's critical that the safety line is NOT tight otherwise it's carrying the load of all 3 front lines and it's not designed to do that. OK to shorten it a bit if you want but I wouldn't bother.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 am

20 is a bit too much...10 is better...look at the end of the red line you should be able to adjust if there are some knots and shorten it

Keep in mind that when you will be powered up riding the strong white line will stretch a bit and the red safety sagging will shorten by about 3-4 cm

Like it was said you don't want a tight leash ring jammed against the QR hole...it will wear out the red line...plus could flatten out the kite's shape ( by making 5th line above "Y" too tight )

When you pull on the trimmer almost all the way in high wind to shorten the front lines the red line can become quite slack...so start with less slack when the trimmer is all the way out

Have fun !

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:43 am

I have the same bar and was confused but only way to know is by actually flying it in powered conditions...i think you should first fly it before shortening

Amin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Sea, Jeddah, Saudia Arabia
Atlantic Ocean, Morocco
Favorite Beaches: Red Sea
Style: N/a
Gear: North Rebel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Amin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:21 am

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful ! I’ll keep as is and fly it first and shorten it a bit if I feel it’s too slack when flying.

Have a nice day!

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 am

I have the exact same issue on a 2016 trust bar. I have two. One I bought new and have used 10x and one I bought from a di£&head (I’ll call him Kahron painter and decorator for this thread) from Cleethorpes. He said it was nearly new and was used 10x. The term ‘mint’ was used no less. A word as powerful in its simplicity and genuine trustworthiness as ‘crispy’ in my book. Thinking of Kahron as a upstanding member of the Kitesurf fraternity I took Kahron at he(r) word. Alas, this does not apply to all our Cleethandatal cousins.

When comparing both the (clearly very f£&king) much older (William the Conqueror kitesurfed from France with this) bar from Kahron had fade/discoloured lines, faded/heavily worn safely stretch lines - a dogs dinner and the result of heavy use akin to a school or bigger jumper over 3 seasons.

Having tried to send it back (Kahron blamed his boss Neve) and refused all requests, name-calling, unhelpful, ‘bodge it and scarper’ type. Was too busy demoing new gear on the south coast. Be warned about buying gear from Kahron and Neve from Cleethorpes - they can be identified by the eye patches, wooden legs and parrots and will be asking for payment in Spanish gold.

Kahron’s advice was to sell it on....nice chapess our Kahron. I have replaced most of the front lines from the chicken loop to the 5th line. The extremely helpful chaps at Bracklesham BR sent me all the right stuff. My only issue is North changed the replacement 5th line above the Y and it requires some fiddling around. I can get everything sorted above the Y but have 10cm of slack under the Y when I ‘pull on my ring’ 😂.

After my long ramble (had to get Kahron from Cleethorpes off my chest ‘me hearties’) I’ve concluded from the above that a slack red safety below the line of 10cm is okay. My original bar is about 5cm. That and to test it. Or should I take to a shop and get it fixed up properly? Probably the later but then I would have had this cathartic experience.

I thank you.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:47 am

They can put bungees in their kites but fail to put a bungee on their flagout line to keep it under slight tension when trimming. Is there a reason not to put a bungee there like all other brands?

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:21 am

A bungee only has a certain elastic span. By trimming the kite, you would use up that elastic span, making the safety line a loaded 5th.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am

That is only when you make the flagout line way too short. It should be 100mm too long fully extended and the bungee should be at least long enough to accommodate the entire trim range.

Also funny to read/hear how many riders think the amount of slack in the flagout line has anything to do with the trim of the loaded fifth above the Y-split. Really funny to explain them that the only thing they change is the amount that the flagout line sags.

Return to “Kitesurfing”