jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Light Years Ahead - The Airush Ultra V2

Postby jkrug » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm

having a 12M UL, it's hard to see (literally) any difference between the two versions. i think it's a good kite for foiling, but i never thought weight was a big issue for this kite. contrary to their claims, it does not relaunch well. quite often that long thin strut can get stuck down in the water, and with any water on the canopy, it ain't coming up, especially not in light winds. and it's a very slow turner....but in my experience, all 12M's are (especially foil kites). so i'd rather hear they improved those facets rather than made it lighter. and i also consider this kite a foil-only kite. it does not jump well; it is bad in waves on a surfboard. hmm, i sound very negative here, but again, i DO like the kite for foiling and would seriously consider getting the new 10M V2 as its turning speed is likely far better than my 12M.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:23 pm

jkrug wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm
having a 12M UL, it's hard to see (literally) any difference between the two versions. i think it's a good kite for foiling, but i never thought weight was a big issue for this kite. contrary to their claims, it does not relaunch well. quite often that long thin strut can get stuck down in the water, and with any water on the canopy, it ain't coming up, especially not in light winds. and it's a very slow turner....but in my experience, all 12M's are (especially foil kites). so i'd rather hear they improved those facets rather than made it lighter. and i also consider this kite a foil-only kite. it does not jump well; it is bad in waves on a surfboard. hmm, i sound very negative here, but again, i DO like the kite for foiling and would seriously consider getting the new 10M V2 as its turning speed is likely far better than my 12M.
Good real review about the U 12 M :thumb: i thought it might be my 12m kite for strapless surf ( don t like my AR wave 12 M and don t think i would like any 12 wave kite). I am giving up for now.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:18 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 am

If the centre of the V2 bridle is set to the "Freestyle" setting (which opens up the canopy) you get stacks more power and low end but turning speed is slower of course. Takes 10 seconds to change.

The first time I did this I was astonished because instead of the typical industry bullshit it really worked very well!
So now if you can fix the over-cooked spaghetti they use for a leading edge, you'll be sweet. Oh and I forgot the flapping, fix that too.
No flapping that I've experienced.

As for "over-cooked spaghetti", you've lost me there - can you post a pic showing this please?
LE buckles with any kind of load on it, above I'd say 80kg. A video would be more appropriate.

Admittedly, it's a lot less flapping than the Reo but that wouldn't be hard.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 am
iriejohn wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:18 am

So now if you can fix the over-cooked spaghetti they use for a leading edge, you'll be sweet. Oh and I forgot the flapping, fix that too.

As for "over-cooked spaghetti", you've lost me there - can you post a pic showing this please?
LE buckles with any kind of load on it, above I'd say 80kg. A video would be more appropriate.

OK, then please post a video showing an Enduro V2 LE buckling/flapping. And don't forget the spaghetti. Thanks.

Thanks.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 am
Kamikuza wrote:
iriejohn wrote:

OK, then please post a video showing an Enduro V2 LE buckling/flapping. And don't forget the spaghetti. Thanks.

Thanks.
You'll just have to take my word as a gentlemen, or just go ahead and deny my life experiences. Thanks thanks.

...holy Jesus whatever you do, don't Google Image search "limp noodle gif" :o that'll learn me for trying to be a smarty pants...

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 am

jkrug wrote:

Quite contrary to my experience. actually. And those of several others, see the big Ultra thread elsewhere on this site. I haven't had any issues with relaunch or the strut getting stuck, do you pump enough air into the kite? I was actually pleasantly surprised by the turning speed, it's good for a 12m! Haven't been out on the waveboard yet unfortunately so no comment there but I'm pretty optimistic there.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 am
Kamikuza wrote:

Thanks.
You'll just have to take my word as a gentlemen, or just go ahead and deny my life experiences. Thanks thanks.

...holy Jesus whatever you do, don't Google Image search "limp noodle gif" :o that'll learn me for trying to be a smarty pants...

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:57 pm

BudhaNl wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 am
jkrug wrote:

Quite contrary to my experience. actually. And those of several others, see the big Ultra thread elsewhere on this site. I haven't had any issues with relaunch or the strut getting stuck, do you pump enough air into the kite? I was actually pleasantly surprised by the turning speed, it's good for a 12m! Haven't been out on the waveboard yet unfortunately so no comment there but I'm pretty optimistic there.

Mmmm i will have to try it now! :thumb:

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Changed
Last edited by Foxi on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:50 pm

alfredo68 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:57 pm
BudhaNl wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 am
jkrug wrote:

Mmmm i will have to try it now! :thumb:
you should absolutely try it. i never meant my comments to be anything but my personal opinion, and understand fully that others may feel differently. However, it is not my opinion that the center (only) strut has gotten stuck in the water. i've had guys out trying to release it for me while i'm down. Again, only been a problem in light winds (< 12) with water on canopy, so not likely to occur if no waves/chop. I pump as hard as i think the kite can stand, but maybe need more...dunno. I also fly the Airush Wave kites (8 and 10M) and greatly prefer them in waves when not foiling. 10M Wave has almost same low end as 12M UL, though because its so fast I think I'm generating much of that power. Tried the 12M Wave...too slow for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”