Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood Canal, Miriakigan
Gear: Slingshot 06’ Octane 8m, 12m, 17.5 Machine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Lines

Postby Bsham » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:34 pm

I’m looking for suggestions for line replacement on an 2006 Slingshot bar. Slingshot only carries gear comparable with a 2010 bar on their website. Anybody know if these will work or do I need to piece a set together?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: New Lines

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 pm

**Disclaimer, I sell bars...

Good gosh man, just upgrade to a new bar. You can find lots of bars out there on closeout that are going to be just a little more than the replacement line set. And the safety systems have evolved to work significantly better and more reliably since back then. Bonus? You'll get a new leash with your bar and THAT will be better, too! :thumb:

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 pm
**Disclaimer, I sell bars...

Good gosh man, just upgrade to a new bar. You can find lots of bars out there on closeout that are going to be just a little more than the replacement line set. And the safety systems have evolved to work significantly better and more reliably since back then. Bonus? You'll get a new leash with your bar and THAT will be better, too! :thumb:
+100 :thumb:
Control bars are disposable items imo. Most bars are not worth preserving especially for the price of new lines and replacement components.

Bsham
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood Canal, Miriakigan
Gear: Slingshot 06’ Octane 8m, 12m, 17.5 Machine

Postby Bsham » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for the input and thanks for responding. I usually just read forums for info but, my stuff is old and I can’t find anything online for replacements. I have definitely noticed the improvements on bar systems (and kites) over the past 10 years. I did a full inspection of the lines today and the flying lines are in great shape, but the fifth line leader needs to be replaced as it’s worn from trimming for depower/upwind ability. It’s about 4m and I’m not sure slingshot has the same piece anymore. I talked with a local shop and they said they would make me one. I don’t want to buy new gear when I’m still having fun and progressing on the gear I have, but maybe it’s time.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:36 pm

https://greenhatkiteboarding.com/liros- ... -per-meter

+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co1nqFfb7Ps

Use a guitar string to push the line through itself on the splice.

Or, like everyone else said, get a modern bar. I disagree that they're consumable, the line systems are, but the bar and chicken loop and hardware are all pretty sturdy. Replacing lines every season and giving it a solid once over is good practice, and with a roll of kiteline and splicing skills, you can pretty much keep a bar alive forever, or until the grip wears off and it sucks to hold.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:36 pm
Use a guitar string to push the line through itself on the splice.
Or just a piece of MIG welding wire. I use stainless .030 and it works fine. You could also get some .023 for smaller diameter lines, but I have never needed smaller. And copper coated NON-Stainless works too, but it still rusts over time even with the copper coating.

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:36 pm
Or, like everyone else said, get a modern bar. I disagree that they're consumable, the line systems are, but the bar and chicken loop and hardware are all pretty sturdy.
Watch center hole wear. If you kite at a sandy launch, the center hole can wear after about 30-50 depower line replacements (my experience is mostly on North and older Best bars). Once it wears down, the bar will eventually break in half at the center hole since the material has been reduced there.

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:36 pm

If you splice kite line does it not wear where you attach it to your kite without any sleeving?

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:37 pm

I mean with constant attaching and undoing

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes, so either leave it attached all the time or
get (or make) some cheap pigtails and let them wear out and replace only them.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:59 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:48 pm
Yes, so either leave it attached all the time or
get (or make) some cheap pigtails and let them wear out and replace only them.
Or you just re-splice a little further down and add a pigtail to make up that length. If you do a Dacron woven sleeve like I do on the splice (hard to explain), you get 1/2 the lifetime with the original splice, then the other 1/2 of the life with a new splice and pigtail. After that, you retire the line set.

Return to “Kitesurfing”