Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scoring of tricks in GKA air games?

Postby JustAGirl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:30 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:38 pm
Sorry, girl brain here... I don’t get the competitive drive... forgive me
Just picture yourself getting ready for a night out on the town,you dress to slay,and your game is on.You hit the club and check out the competition,maybe hit the ladies room for a few tweaks here and there,game on beeeicches! Time to throw some shade, break the internet with pics, blow up Instagram. :thumb: :buttsmile:

LOL you are hilarious... but nah, with my ugly duck face I have no chance, I don’t nurture illusions ... everybody’s got me BEAT 😃

It’s OK, someone’s gotta lose

I'm with you,little friendly competition among friends is enough for me!

I just try not to let them down by lowering the standards & keep up as best I can...

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:36 pm

competition is how everything moves forward, whether youre just having fun with your friends trying to get a better turn on a wave or throw a trick they cant do to push each other. or if youre on the tour and pushing your gear and your ability to the absolute limit and progressing the sport forward.

i have no desire to compete in anything myself but even i understand that it's necessary to progress the sport. otherwise we'd still be on 2 line kites just getting dragged around

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

dylan* wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:36 pm
competition is how everything moves forward, whether youre just having fun with your friends trying to get a better turn on a wave or throw a trick they cant do to push each other. or if youre on the tour and pushing your gear and your ability to the absolute limit and progressing the sport forward.

i have no desire to compete in anything myself but even i understand that it's necessary to progress the sport. otherwise we'd still be on 2 line kites just getting dragged around
Hm, I’m not sure about that... you don’t have to compete to raise insanely high standards... In fact you are likely to raise them much higher if you are not comparing yourself to others but just keep outdoing yourself...

I never compare myself to others & keep winning prizes for some reason... those who compete with me don’t get it, but that’s why they can’t reach my level... maybe I’m too arrogant to compete in what I know I’m good at

Competition creates mediocrity! Innovation breathes rarefied air...

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm

JustAGirl wrote: I never compare myself to others & keep winning prizes for some reason... those who compete with me don’t get it, but that’s why they can’t reach my level... maybe I’m too arrogant to compete in what I know I’m good at
How are you winning prizes if you're not competing? Do random strangers just walk up to you in the middle of the street and hand you medals or something?

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm
JustAGirl wrote: I never compare myself to others & keep winning prizes for some reason... those who compete with me don’t get it, but that’s why they can’t reach my level... maybe I’m too arrogant to compete in what I know I’m good at
How are you winning prizes if you're not competing? Do random strangers just walk up to you in the middle of the street and hand you medals or something?
By filling out the paperwork, not by competing... I don’t even know who or what the “competition” does, so it’s not competing, not comparing to others... do your own thing or be mediocre, it’s a a choice

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:46 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:33 pm
Honest question: why do you care so much about competitions? Ours is a pretty open-ended, independent hobby. Why measure ourselves with competitive sports?
Worldsails is a fine org; they can discipline the competitive branch of the sport, it’s their right, and means nothing to me!

I mean, I kite for pleasure & to share quality time with my favorite ppl, not to be better than others. It’s a lifestyle, not a rat race... weird!
I do kiteboarding for fun also. But since kiteboarding is also a competition sport, I like to understand the rules and get more information about what's behind the tricks and results in competitions. This helps to widen the scope also to other areas of the sport than my freeriding.

Also one of the questions from any non-kiteboarder is that are there any competitions in your sport.

This sport just offers so much for everyone from a random weekend kiteboarder to competing professional and everything in between.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:52 pm

So a high scoring Regular Jump gets the same points as a high scoring handle pass etc.
Does anyone know how the scoring for board off tricks works? I assume the more complex/technical you get with the board the higher the score, eg, flipping it twice would score more than flipping it once. I assume there must be a kind of standardisation like in freestyle?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Of course...same same

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 pm
Of course...same same
Obviously its called a 'board off' but does it actually specify in the rules it must be the board that is spun/flipped/whatever seeing as the off/on bit seems to be a fairly insignificant(in terms of aesthetics) part of the trick?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm