Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shorten lines on trainerkite?

Forum for kitesurfers
GrodanBoll
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Shorten lines on trainerkite?

Postby GrodanBoll » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am

Is there anyone who has a good idea of how to shorten lines on a trainer kite?

I have a 3m kite which I must use on a windy day that is coming soon. I´m thinking that it should be possible to shorten the lines somehow rather than taking a smaller trainer kite with less good aerodynamics.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shorten lines on trainerkite?

Postby Lokihel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:59 am

Why do you want to shorten the lines?

Shorter lines will not remove a noticeable amount of power from your trainer kite.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am

I am teaching my son on a 2.5 Uno, on 23 meter lines. It's fine! I don't see why you'd want to shorten your lines.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

I do not recommend doing a teaching session in high winds. And definitely make sure you do not give a 2.5m kite to a person under 55kg (125lbs) in high winds. I had one of my students try to teach his son on a 2.5m in high winds and his son got beat up pretty bad. After that, his son never wanted to fly the kite again.

But my main reason for not teaching in high winds is that the student learns almost nothing. With a first session in high winds, then moving onto medium or light winds, the student has no skills to cope with those lighter winds and gets frustrated. This is because light and medium winds require you to keep the kite off of the edge of the window by working it. High winds never teach you how to work the kite.

For the best skill development, go out on a few days when you actually think the wind is border-line not enough. Getting the kite up, and keeping it up in these marginal winds teaches more than you could ever learn in high winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”