Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 am
foilholio wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:12 am
thewindego wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 am
Cheap ...get what you paid for. Sorry but most times true.
Yes you do get what you pay for,...
...a feeling of being less gay, a feeling of being more gay...
Are you saying with Pansh you get a feeling of being “exactly and precisely one”?
No come now lets not be homophobic. What I am saying is that the big brands give the purchaser a certain sexual belief reinforcement of their imagined sexuality, or as a comforter of denialed actual sexuality. Now let me give you an example. Best kites, their flyers are the most macho masculine types you could imagine. But they go around flying kites with a giant penis with wings on it. Where do we see this in real life else where? Well pride parades where bum punchers get their wangs out and wear angel wings. So it would seem flying a Best kite is some sort of conscious unconscious admittance to a certain sexuality.

Now with a Pansh I get the feeling of being a Chineseman out in the open farm field in one of those epic Chinese movies. I can even speak Chinese, choong ke chong chong ching ching. It's glorious, no need for penis on my kites!

Now grig, grigy? grigori? Lets not fight. see this
grigorib wrote: they’re confident, they know how to talk to and satisfy a girl.
This is excellent life advice but a little offensive to Pullstrings and his F.A.G. ( Florida Ass Gropers). Lets tone down the homophobia and add a little man so our Best friends can feel more comfortable
grigorib wrote: they’re confident, they know how to talk to and satisfy a girl or man if that's what your into or have penises on your gear, it's all fine by me.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:48 am

I buy all new kite gear every two years and put about 50-75 sessions on each kite before selling. The money I spent on my new Naish Dashes was totally worth it. I feel a greater sense of confidence boosting 50 feet on newer gear compared to old gear that could have a bridle snap from up high or during a loop.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am

Blame the industry, they ate themselves alive.

Everyone knows kite kit markup is absolutely insane.

The industry (gka) decided to dance with the kooks otherwise known as world sailing and paid the price.

How are youth supposed to get excited watching GKAs freestyle clown show.

There was a time when there were a lot of younger riders.. the industry made sure to kill off that idea.

I would say slingshot is one of the few brands that didnt sell out, and maybe duotone by the sounds of it with their ceo saying that they did not want to be part of sailing/directed by it.

Yup they are out of their minds.. becoming snake oil salesman with their marketing garbage and markups.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

Bill C wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 am
You can buy a decent mountain bike for the price of one kite and not sit on your hands waiting for wind.
But then you'd be shitty mountain biking instead of kiting?

I could buy 1250 mars bars instead of a kite too but then I'd be a fat git with no teeth instead of a kitesurfer.

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am

Beardytello wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am
Bill C wrote:
You can buy a decent mountain bike for the price of one kite and not sit on your hands waiting for wind.

I could buy 1250 mars bars instead of a kite too but then I'd be a fat git with no teeth instead of a kitesurfer.
Really? You must think kiting is the 'end all'. Well, its not. I know perfectly capable kiters who quit or go infrequently because they got bored or decided to pursue something else. They made a decision not to buy new kite gear and spend their disposable income elsewhere. If they go a few times a year to get a kite fix, they'll use their old gear because its 'good enough' to get on the water.

Looks like you joined in 2016 which is relatively new. There will be a defining moment where you can't glean anymore hype and buying new equipment won't be a substitute either.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Bill C wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am
Beardytello wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am
Bill C wrote:

Really? You must think kiting is the 'end all'. Well, its not. I know perfectly capable kiters who quit or go infrequently because they got bored or decided to pursue something else. They made a decision not to buy new kite gear and spend their disposable income elsewhere. If they go a few times a year to get a kite fix, they'll use their old gear because its 'good enough' to get on the water.

Looks like you joined in 2016 which is relatively new. There will be a defining moment where you can't glean anymore hype and buying new equipment won't be a substitute either.

A couple of years back, I couldn't imagine agreeing with this, been at it a while and a change of location, to a place where the kiting conditions are not so great, has made me explore other interests more.
May be a resurgence in future years, we'll see.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Market rulez. If something is too expensive for its value (for "value" I mean its attractiveness for the customer, not the actual physical value) it will for sure end its life shortly. If they can sell a bar for 490 bucks, it means there are customers ready to shell out the money.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Bill C wrote:

Pffft. Casuals.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am
How are youth supposed to get excited watching GKAs freestyle clown show.
I don’t want to seed hate. Bunch of guys are coming to sport to ride boots and ramps and I’m glad they do.
Other bunch figured out they can use a little wind engine to rock on their surfboards instead of socializing in water for 15 minutes before each 45 seconds ride.
Some guys like big air and nice quick/floaty tricks
Some like speed and racing
Some ride the magic carpet of a foil

For each of above the gear is different - we’re in sport of many disciplines and blessed to be able to tell industry what we want next. But hey, markups on everything are crazy - on closes, cars, housing, electronics, gadgets... but I’m damn sure I dan get a a curious newbie a set of gear for split of the price of newly released one. And I can still rock on 2008 ARC...well kinda..I’d be cursing a lot :)

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Bill C wrote:
Really? You must think kiting is the 'end all'. Well, its not.
It's not, to you, anymore...and that's fine! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D

I'm still happy being stoked and that I have a hobby I love more than any other I've ever had.

Return to “Kitesurfing”