Need advice for beginner - kite size

Forum for kitesurfers
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Need advice for beginner - kite size

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Rolling fast on a 6 sqm LEI with skateboard-landboard at low tide... onshore 7 knots...it don't get any flatter of a surface...hard packed sand...very efficient indeed

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:07 am

Big attitude from someone who has limited experience, clearly.
A gentleman would never ask a lady her age or her weight, but as you don’t appear to fit that bill, let me set a few facts straight.
Why would you conclude 'I didn’t read correctly' from my post? It’s rhetorical, please don’t answer it.
Anyway, it’s a line graph for given weights, it doesn’t have ‘categories’.
You asked if you were ‘reading it right’ and I’m the illiterate one? Again, don't answer it.
Well 10m at 10 knots suggests you weigh around 45Kg-48Kg
You can’t kite in 10knts, ok I think we’ve got it. Maybe someone else of a similar weight could – see the earlier posts.

I was interested to know if this graph was meaningful at the lower weight end and there seems to be many different opinions across a number of weights.

It appears grigorib has a different opinion of the graph, but has remained factual, putting up an argument for something he believes, he hasn’t all shouty and name calling.
He believes 70Kg with a 10m, quite different to your opinion of this ‘absurd’ graph.

JustAGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:58 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:03 am
Well, only you know your weight.
Funny the kite is in the right ball park for me at 116Kg and most of the comments for the OP at 54Kg
Seems for 90Kg it is about 6 knots over stated (Hummmm..) and from your comments under stated by a measure too at the very low weight end :o

I suppose the figures on the graph do assume a certain level of competence as well as a uniform method of wind measurement.

JustAGirl wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 pm
Clearly you didn’t read correctly: 10 meters at 10 Knots only fits the 50 kg category on the chart, so take a wild guess where my weight fits 🙄 I didn’t think I have to spell it out for the contentious but illiterate

Show me one person who weighs 50 - 54 kg who can ride a 10 in 10 Knots. The scale is way off!

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:59 pm

I can see how on a big lake with swell and built-up current after couple of days of same direction 10 knots wind less 4 mph current could mean seriously challenging conditions to ride even with a 17m. Even in 12-14 knots and current you feel kite flying solid standing on shore but barely gets you riding on water.

For folks riding oceanside it's well known situation and they'd easily frown upon 10m for 10 knots assessment.

On the other hand you get a light buddy into calm water of flats (or flooded beach) and suddenly it is a pleasure ride, and absolutely gorgeous LW cruising. Not much jumping besides being quick and strong with your legs but fun.

Obviously conditions matter. I love this crowd here, hugs!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:17 pm

My fave is long shore current 2-3 knots due to a tropical system offshore & lightwind side side-on coming from the opposite direction...with clean 4-5 ft waves...on a 17 sqm

Major fun and juice to boot

Great sign is too see the surfers drifting...paddling against the current to stay in one place ...and surfers walking back from where the wind is coming from

Return to “Kitesurfing”