Forum for kitesurfers
Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar questions Cabrinha and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 am

Hi all, I'm replacing the lines sets on two bars with non-oem ones. Couple of questions please:

Cabrinha
When all four lines are disconnected from the bar and laid out under tension, the four lines do not appear to be the same length on the 2017 Cabrinha bar with trimlite. On my bar, the centre lines are 15cm longer than the steering lines.

I think this is a design feature due to the dyneema rope on the bar ends being longer than the connection point for the centre lines at the power bracket seat. A weird design that I reckon must be to screw people like me up who are trying to use non-oem lines.... And before you ask, the adjustable line connectors on the Cabrinha lines cannot make up this difference if I were to get 4 lines all the same length.

So can anyone please confirm if the difference is in fact 15cm? My lines are pretty old and are probably out by a bit...

Ozone 2018 bar
I haven't had time to pull apart and measure the Ozone bar, can anyone confirm if they are the same or something weird like the cabrinha?

Thanks

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Re: Bar questions Cabrinha and Ozone

Postby Peert » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Do yourself a favour and buy or make a splicing needle and some dyneema..

I make adjustable pigtails myself. This could easily be used to compensate for a 15 cm line difference.
I can shift the knot to change line length relative to each other see foto. The loops are spliced without stitching.
IMG_20180714_132150.jpg
IMG_20180714_132209.jpg

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Yeah that makes more sense. Can you still feed the brummel splice ok with a knot in the loop or does that part not need to go through the line anyway?

Also, what diametre dyneema rope is best?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:39 am

Wondering why you are replacing new lines on an 2018 Ozone bar? What have you heard/learned?

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:32 am

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:39 am
Wondering why you are replacing new lines on an 2018 Ozone bar? What have you heard/learned?
I managed to get the centre and steering line tangled and knotted during a launch at a difficult site. Landed the kite immediately but the damage was already done. They will probably hold up for a while but I foil board offshore and dont want any risks. Ozone race lines are hugely expensive in Australia so Im looking at alternatives.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:00 am

Macster wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 pm
Yeah that makes more sense. Can you still feed the brummel splice ok with a knot in the loop or does that part not need to go through the line anyway?

Also, what diametre dyneema rope is best?
Q1: Yes you could. And no it doesn't need to go through if you do the side with the knot first.

Q2: I use the thinnest loosely woven dyneema I find in the nautical supplies shop. I think it is 3mm 4 would do too.

It really takes a few minutes only to make these.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:00 pm

I used Marlow Ropes 3mm Dyneema D12 to make line length adjusters when I put Slingshot lines on an Airush Smartbar but never thought of making them length adjustable - good idea!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Good idea indeed. Borrowed from Evan. But he will certainly not have been the first/only one that came up with this idea....

Return to “Kitesurfing”