Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha Switchblade base collars

Postby espana2323 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi,

I have a Cabrinha Switchblade 2015 that I bought used. Today, when the leading edge of the kite hit the water hard (not very hard), resulted in one of the tubings that connect the main blader with a strut bladder to come off resulting in the deflation of the main bladder. When I tried to connect it back on it wasn’t clear to me what’s the right way to place the base collar around the valvue. I found this video https://youtu.be/X-PBgFCFplA that shows how to do this (time 5:54 in video) but I still can’t tell which is the right or wrong side that the base collar needs to go on.

Can someone please advise on this?

Thanks.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Cabrinha Switchblade base collars

Postby dylan* » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 am

There should be one on each end of the tube, one for each valve. If you lost one in the water during the crash (or just can't figure it out) you can always just use a zip tie instead, that's what most brands (used to?) use

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 am

dylan* wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 am
There should be one on each end of the tube, one for each valve. If you lost one in the water during the crash (or just can't figure it out) you can always just use a zip tie instead, that's what most brands (used to?) use
Hi Dylan,

That part is clear to me. What is not clear is how should the orientation of the collars be so they lock well with the tube. As you can see from the image of the collars https://goo.gl/images/4urjKY (here is another one https://goo.gl/images/G8tYfr) they have some “teeth” inside but they have a different distance from each end of the edge of the collar. I tried insering them using both orientations but when I pull the tube it comes off. So I am trying to see what I am doing wrong here.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:42 am

espana2323 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 am
... what I am doing wrong here.
Nothing, those little black collars don't secure the hose over the valve end very well.

Small UV-resistant zip tie will hold much better.

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:49 am

GregK wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:42 am
espana2323 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 am
... what I am doing wrong here.
Nothing, those little black collars don't secure the hose over the valve end very well.

Small UV-resistant zip tie will hold much better.
Hi Greg,

Wouldn’t the zip ties damage the canopy material if they rub on it (assuming the neoprene sleeve is missing)? Also how many zip ties per valvue would you recommend to use?

Thanks.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 am

One zip tie should be enough if applied tight and clamps the hose down on the space between hose barbs on the valve end.

If the neoprene valve cover is missing, I'll stitch a small zip-tie cover from black 1/2-inch elastic, which must go on the hose first before the zip tie is installed.

Yes if the end of the zip tie is not cut flush and zip tie's lock is positioned on the canopy side of the hose, there is a good chance of the zip tie pin-holing the canopy. However, if the zip tie's lock is positioned on the strut or LE pocket side of the hose, this fabric is about 4 time thicker than the canopy fabric and unlikely to be damaged by the zip ties.

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 am

GregK wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 am
One zip tie should be enough if applied tight and clamps the hose down on the space between hose barbs on the valve end.

If the neoprene valve cover is missing, I'll stitch a small zip-tie cover from black 1/2-inch elastic, which must go on the hose first before the zip tie is installed.

Yes if the end of the zip tie is not cut flush and zip tie's lock is positioned on the canopy side of the hose, there is a good chance of the zip tie pin-holing the canopy. However, if the zip tie's lock is positioned on the strut or LE pocket side of the hose, this fabric is about 4 time thicker than the canopy fabric and unlikely to be damaged by the zip ties.
Thanks for the info Greg.

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 am

I noticed that one end of the base collar is flat while the other is a bit round. I think that the flat part should be touching the valvue once inserted. Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks.

Pera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 82 kg
Local Beach: Bygdin Lagune. The mountains in Norway
Style: Freeride, jumping, gliding
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades 2015, 2020,2021 6-12m
Cabrinha Contra 2021 11m
Cabrinha Moto 2022 12m
Cabrinha Nitro 2024 12m
Cabrinha Ace Wood 2018

Postby Pera » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 am

This is how the base collars look like on my 2015 Switchblade.Notice the elevation outside the base collars pointing away from the valve.
Attachments
DSC_1295_LI (3).jpg

espana2323
Rare Poster

Postby espana2323 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am

Pera wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 am
This is how the base collars look like on my 2015 Switchblade.Notice the elevation outside the base collars pointing away from the valve.
Great! Thanks Pera. Based on that elevation, the flat side is touching the valvue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”