Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver area
Gear: Freestyle and Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nobile foil board nightmare!

Postby Van kite » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I recently purchased a Nobile split board to help with travel. I took it to La Ventana and my gear was lighter than my twin tip but the good news stopped there. I started with the mid sized foil which appeared to fit perfectly but after my first session showed a slight rip on the sides of the shaft. This caused the shaft to loosen during my session. I changed to the full length shaft and it fit perfectly and didn’t rip. I contacted Nobile about the flaw and they refused responsibility. They claimed Their R&D department determined I put the teardrop shape in backwards- obviously this is impossible.

The bad news didn’t stop there. As I continued to use the board with the long mast on my fifth session I started to notice failure along a seam in the middle of the board. Again I sent photos and details to Nobile and they refused to honor their 1 year warranty- Stay away from Nobile Foil Boards. It was light but I did not jump or push it at all and this was a manufacturer defect which they refused to honor. Horrible customer service!!
Attachments
0F41B2C6-FD5F-4E67-BCDD-C1DA5CE11669.jpeg

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Nobile foil board nightmare!

Postby BWD » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:45 pm

If you didn’t put mast on backwards, why is the crushed part of the rear of the mast located exactly as far from the screw as the distance from the front screw to the leading edge?
Is there an explanation?
Obviously something pressed on it very hard to dig a groove through there and deform the metal.
What else could it be?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 pm

which board did you have? the 2017 or 2018? I also had my splitboard(2017) fail at the connection but this was after almost 2 years of hard use. I was thinking about buying the new one but if you had this happen with the updated version I will stay away. I wish Flysurfer would come out with a split foil board.

=Jason-

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:11 am

Funny coincidence.. I just lost a mast yesterday...
I did a small jump and had to kick the board off on landing (one foot came out of the straps and I did not want to risk it)
When I body dragged back, I found the board belly up with no mast :-)
Looks like shitty construction to me, but I doubt they will replace it on warranty..
The irony of it is, they just sent me a new base plate, to replace the rusty one after a long email ping pong..
They kept telling that it was my fault that it corroded badly after ~20 sessions.. well I told them that I had a 2 year old SS hoverglide with no corrosion whatsoever..
Now I have a broken board and a base plate :-)
nobile.jpg

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 am

I have a hoverglide I’ve been treating badly for over a year without corrosion issues.

Nobile splitboard was in my shopping list for a travel setup.

Now I will have to come up with another plan...

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:05 am

35653816_10103128945175875_2256087986342985728_o.jpg
This is what happened to my Nobile Split hydrofoilboard. No jumping but did have hard use for about 18 months. This issue basically killed to board, only way to keep using it was using aluminum metal plates on the top and bottom. I tried to epoxy it with bolts as support and didn't last more than 15 minutes. I would absolutely buy the new 2018 board in a heart beat if I knew it was an improved, stronger board. No better travel hydrofoil board out there.

=Jason-

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 am

Looks and sounds like poor build quality , but to top it all off by blaming the customer and having such a poor lack of customer service and assistance especially when these things cost a fortune is madness...

Best to chose another brand with a more honest customer service approach.... or if your travel a lot to kite spots can't you rent the foils at the schools or shops near the spot?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Barryg101 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 am
Looks and sounds like poor build quality , but to top it all off by blaming the customer and having such a poor lack of customer service and assistance especially when these things cost a fortune is madness...

Best to chose another brand with a more honest customer service approach.... or if your travel a lot to kite spots can't you rent the foils at the schools or shops near the spot?
I took mine last year on a 16000 km motorcycle trip through over a dozen countries by motorcycle. No other option out there and for that trip, the setup was fantastic. I've spent the last three months hydrofoiling at least 5 out of 7 days and I guess it ended up being too much stress on the connection. It's a shame because I really liked the board and it greatly progressed my strapless skill and jibs.

=J-

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:33 pm

I faced some resistance from the customer service
They were insisting that I scratched the base plate and that caused the corrosion in a bunch of places...
It took some arguing to convince them that it was not my fault.. like I did not scratch it inside the mast mounting hole :-)

seems like bad build quality all over... but I think they redesigned the plate in 2018 version...
hope they reinforced the board too.. great concept, poor implementation for now.. :-(
37205009_2077784678900665_7792715011763208192_n.jpg

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:01 am

I also purchased a Split Foil combo it was a demo from a big retailer it was supposed to be almost new. I really just wanted the split board but it would have been cheaper to get that and sell the foil. I had to return it one of the screw was damaged in the foil board the thread was chewed up. I'm not impressed they use tiny M6 screws while every other foils I have seen uses M8. The whole thing seemed very flimsy compared to other foils I have seen. I was happy to return it too bad I like the split board idea...

Return to “Kitesurfing”