Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Diani beach (Kenya) - best waves & where to stay?

Forum for kitesurfers
RQO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dubai
Favorite Beaches: St. Lucia
Style: Beginner-intermediate
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Diani beach (Kenya) - best waves & where to stay?

Postby RQO » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:29 am

Hi, thinking of visiting Diani beach to kitesurf the waves there. I understand waves are best at the opening on the reef. Where exactly is it? Can it be kited in all tide conditions? Besides this, what accommodation would you recommend that is closest to the opening in the reef?

Thanks in advance!

Qman
Rare Poster
Gear: 6m and 9m

Re: Diani beach (Kenya) - best waves & where to stay?

Postby Qman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi I was at Diani Beach December 2017 to Feb 2018. I stayed near Lymingtons, this area was the busiest area for kiteing, followed by around Forty Theives Bar and a Core school slightly futher south of Lymingtons. The reef in all these places is kiteable on all tides. There isn't much wave at high tide. Accomodation around any of these places would be good. Hardly anyone goes out to the reef they just stick to the flat water on the inside.

The wind was super constant 10m weather everyday .(I'm 69kgs). The kitesurfing was great. It's one of the most underated places I've been to. There is a large amount of plastics in the sea. Make sure you visit Colobus Conservation.

lisaped
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Diani beach (Kenya) - best waves & where to stay?

Postby lisaped » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 pm

I am not sure you'll be able to surf at low tide in the area of the reef as waves are small. At high tide you can go through reef anywhere but waves are also not big, may be 1-2m.
Don't think local kite spots give you any preference. You can stay at any hotel or private cottage on the beach and conditions will be the same or even better. We made sure of that twice after visiting Diani-Galu.
Colobuses leave everywhere you stay there.
Forty Thieves Bar is a dull place. Go just opposite across Diany avenue to the local Kenian bar (don't remember the name) There are tons of local girls which will fight between each other to win you. The place is overcrowded. But if you reserve a table beforehand..hm, get ready to big fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”