Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nitro 7 Proto Photos

Forum for kitesurfers
galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15m Ghost V2, 12m SS RPX, 10/8/7/6/5/4 V6 SST, 8m SS UFO V2, 6m Ghost V2, 4&5 Contra 1S, SS Phantasm 684/633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'0 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 3.5 Cab X3, 4.4 Vayu, 6.0 Slingwing V4
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Re: Nitro 7 Proto Photos

Postby galewarning » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Unless someone picks up the design and makes the N7, we might never know how it compares to previous versions. I do know that if Switch comes out with a Nitro, it's only similar in name, not design. Other than just a few reaches on another person's N5, I've only ridden Nitros from N2 to N4. They definitely have a good top end. A wee bit of a challenge to relaunch on the bottom end. Forced me to stop dropping the kite. :wink:
I heard the N6 was a great kite.
-B
lewmt wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:52 pm
Re: Heavy Nitros
...Am still curious if there are any noticeable performance differences between the N7 & N6's? Pictures don't say much about what may have changed other than colors...

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hansen Design » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:55 am

Hello Lewmt:
That proto was built in early 2018 to the late 2017 Nitro7 design brief calling for lighter weight, faster turning and better re-launch. Testing with a variety of pro and advanced riders including challenging gusty overpowered Gorge conditions has been 100% positive. It keeps the classic Nitro rip off the water and boost altitude with better float and megaloop catch the older versions lacked. N6 was a good step up from N4 & N5. N7 is a refinement of N6 homing in on the few remaining needs expressed in the design brief and by N6 riders. Somewhere around 75% of the general N5-N6 improvement with a good dose of user-friendliness lacking in earlier models. At this point it probably cannot get much better and still be a Nitro.

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info Bill. Looks like a great looking kite. I've read that you no longer work on Switch kite designs. Is this true? Would you be willing to explain why the separation? A big part of my decision to pull the trigger on some H3's was that you designed the Helium. Did you design the H3? Really impressed with this kite. Thanks!!

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello cnski:
One year ago, Switch management made the decision to outsource their products from other vendors (bars, boards, kites, etc) and cease in-house development to reduce costs. They did not reveal this decision publically or to their customers. I'm sorry to hear you made a purchase of the H3 believing it my design but very glad you like it. I believe it to be a re-branded Storm Voyager from France. Also, I had no part in the E6 model which appears to be from Ikon kites.
Cheers!

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Was there a similar thread about the krypto or is it the drugs that I'm doing make me imagine things?

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable

Postby mattenzuchtig » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Kykeon wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 pm
Was there a similar thread about the krypto or is it the drugs that I'm doing make me imagine things?
it seems to have vanished, I have been looking for it too...because I wrote a comment...
Matti

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Postby jorg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:31 pm

My guess a fake account under Marc Jacobs in that thread suggested that Bill copied Core kite when he was designing The Krypto. The admin must have deleted it after such questionable accusations from that fake account.
Last edited by jorg on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 pm

That's funny... everyone brand copies a design that sells really well - nothing new there..
The Cloud kite started off a copycat design rush by many big brands recently :)

Always a market spot for good kites at a cheaper price.. not everyone is rich

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 am

Hello Shave & Jorg:
I have a 30+ year longstanding policy to never copy anything no matter the product. When it is proposed I offer an immediate resignation (as I did vehemently in this case.) The kite shown was one of a suite of 5 protos exploring 3vs5 strut versions with similar profile and spanwise AoA and varying AR and bridles. It is vastly different from any existing kite on the market with more panels and a new innovative sawtooth fabric orientation seam to cleanly preserve shape under load. Personally, I think it is a great kite. Anyone interested is welcome to come to the Gorge and fly kites with me when I am not working. I have many interesting prototype kites to try and the local beers rock.
:-)
Cheers!

hajvar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, NY
Gilgo Beach
Robert Moses
Democrat Point
Tobay
Gear: 2016 Naish Park HD 7m-9m-12m
Switchkites Legacy 2 12m
Tona Flow 140 x 43.3
Ronix Park Boots
Been thanked: 0

Postby hajvar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:20 am

Hansen Design wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 am
Hello Shave & Jorg:
I have a 30+ year longstanding policy to never copy anything no matter the product. When it is proposed I offer an immediate resignation (as I did vehemently in this case.) The kite shown was one of a suite of 5 protos exploring 3vs5 strut versions with similar profile and spanwise AoA and varying AR and bridles. It is vastly different from any existing kite on the market with more panels and a new innovative sawtooth fabric orientation seam to cleanly preserve shape under load. Personally, I think it is a great kite. Anyone interested is welcome to come to the Gorge and fly kites with me when I am not working. I have many interesting prototype kites to try and the local beers rock.
:-)
Cheers!
I appreciate your honesty and it is frankly refreshing in a world of marketing and smoke and mirrors...
I am glad to see that you are still working on exciting new projects and kites.
Best of luck in your new endeavors.

Return to “Kitesurfing”