Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Emirates to Cape Town

Postby bri7 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:56 pm

HI all,

Done BA a few times, it's crap...

Has anyone flown Emirates from Europe to Cape Town via Dubai. Is the kite bag allowed as your main baggage (up to 30kg) My bag would also include a surfboard.

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Re: Emirates to Cape Town

Postby Pemba » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:24 pm

I've flown Emirates from Europe (Amsterdam and Dusseldorf) to Joburg a few times. I'm quite sure my boards (twintips) went through without paying extra, but its a while ago and I considered myself lucky, they kind of seemed to "slip through", it's not as if they told me "kiteboards ? No problem, no extra cost".. Kites I always carry in my hand luggage.

Snapback
Rare Poster
Gear: RPM - Asylum

Postby Snapback » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:58 pm

i flew from switzerland-dubai-cpt one year ago with my 5'2 surfboard/kites/clothes in one bag without paying extra.. i think i reservated before tho!

TimS
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Core GTS/XR

Postby TimS » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Yes from AMS - dubai - CPT and back, pretty long trip but great flights i can recommend.
Bagage is free, make sure to reservate your bagage.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Guys thanks for the note, I will be flying from Geneva so thanks for the heads up about reserving the bag

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 am

It seems to me like they have changed the rules a bit since I flew with Emirates. Before it was super easy if you stayed below 30kg (overweight was ridiculously expensive). I didn't have to tell anyone. Checked it in. Was asked to go to the special luggage counter (in Europe - not Africa) and everything went as if you just checked in a normal bag. Now I believe they have a different description on their homepage flying from Africa at least.

The total dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece must not exceed 150 cmcentimeter (59 inches). You’ll be charged an additional fee for any individual items exceeding dimensions of 150 cmcentimeter (59 inches), up to a maximum of 300 cmcentimeter (118 inches).

I did not pay anything extra even if my bag exceeded 150cm flying home from Africa.

If your surfeboard means the bag exceeds 300cm (length+width+heigh), probably won't, you might have an issue. If not you might be asked to pay an "additional fee" (don't know what that means - can't find it) flying home. I doubt it though.

https://www.emirates.com/english/before ... ggage.aspx

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm

I fly Emirates all the time between africa/asia/europe and north america. The included bags/weight (depends on the route) includes bikes, kites, boards, etc which i fly with all the time. You wont have an issue as long as its within the bag/weight restrictions.

"All sporting equipment including golf equipment, bicycles and ski equipment
Emirates will accept sporting equipment as checked baggage and part of your standard baggage allowance."

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

I've flown with Emirates several times and they always accepted surf and kite equipment without any problems. I never contacted them before traveling but to be double prepared it might be wise. I also carried both kitesurfing surfboard bag and an SUP without problems. SUP though using my sons baggage allowance and then pack all clothes in wifes baggage allowance.

Here's the link to their rules https://www.emirates.com/english/help/f ... -equipment NOTE, there's a difference from where you travel. It's NOT allowed to bring sports equipment for free if you're traveling where the piece concept applies. If it's the weight concept it's allowed. I believe it's only North, Central and South America that uses the piece concept but from what Shawn was saying they allowed it for free anyway or maybe he was lucky.

Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Postby Van Hunk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:43 pm

The question you have to ask is whether the additional 12 hours of flying (return included) via Dubai is worth saving a couple of bucks on excess luggage.

In my view it is not. At all. Especially when it is a lottery what you'll pay based on the person at the check in counter, reserved luggage or not.

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm

I always fly Emirates to CT. I never paid for my surf luggage as long as I am within the weight limit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”