Affordable Kite - Highest Jump - Longest Hangtime

forum for kitesurfers

njrider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Brand Affiliation: None

Affordable Kite - Highest Jump - Longest Hangtime

Postby njrider » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a new kite. I would consider myself an intermediate to advanced rider and I mostly ride twin tips.

With all the new kites and crazy marketing nonsense, I'm confused what to buy. So I'm asking for your input on what kite can jump the highest, have the longest hangtime and is a good bargain. This might be a lot to ask but what the heck. Thanks

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Re: Affordable Kite - Highest Jump - Longest Hangtime

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Dont know where you are based.
This matters with respect to availability of brands and prices.. It could help if you specify.
In Europe Gong strutspeed is an example of cheaper (currently 419€ for a 10 meter, 369€ for a 7) hi aspect ratio kite. These type of kites typically jump very decent and have hangtime.
Ga Pure is also affordable and among the high jumping kites. Switch Nitro another example.

a99
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Buy used 2-3 year kite if you are not pro. I had few cheap brands and later used good brand kite, really better have good aerodynamical kite than cheap new with some uknown control problems, even as you jump for height and its related with risk. Cheap or good kite for easy free ride dont matter, but when it's about control precision with risk than brand name is point.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 pm

NJkiter, if what you want is big jumps, long hang time, plus a bargain price, it's hard to beat the 2017 Cabrinha Apollos now on sale in the USA. Read the reviews before you buy (e.g., don't expect a wave or wakestyle kite out of the Apollo). This is a good time to buy last year's models in many brands. Lots of bargains out there, IMHO. :thumb:

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 pm

High and long - two different kite design's :cool2:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 pm

9m Turbine delivered the best ever jumping performance for me so far

knyfe
Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:22 am

older Edges in 10 if you want to go high - larger if you want to go long.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 pm
NJkiter, if what you want is big jumps, long hang time, plus a bargain price, it's hard to beat the 2017 Cabrinha Apollos now on sale in the USA. Read the reviews before you buy (e.g., don't expect a wave or wakestyle kite out of the Apollo). This is a good time to buy last year's models in many brands. Lots of bargains out there, IMHO. :thumb:
I'd second that. It's a cheater kite in many ways. Ride it over powered and it jumps huge.

I bought all of Cabrinha's 2017 Apollo inventory they had left and still have all sizes in stock.

All sizes 50% off.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Last edited by toyletbowl on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romkis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Monciskes, Svencele (Lithuania)
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 11m 2017

Manta hydrofoil

Postby Romkis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 am

If you want to have really big and hight jumps, you have to choose foil kites. You can buy used one if you want to have it cheap. Don't recommend cheap brands...

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Pivot 5-7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:35 am

What's the wind & water like at your location? Flat water, short period waves or long period waves impact your options. Also, what's the dominant windspeed?

First advice is of course to make sure the indian is optimized, so if your technique needs improvement, spend your money there for the highest impact on both height and duration of your jumps.

While you will be able to jump very high on a foil kite, they're less suited for high winds, especially when gusty. I wouldn't fly a foil sized smaller than 9-10 meters. Pro's/very advanced riders can and will do so but us mere mortals should synchronize ability and equipment.

Kites like the Ozone Edge and the North/Duotone Rebel give you both high jumps and long hangtime. They're not the quickest in the air or the easiest to relaunch but their performance is relatively easily accessible. If jumping is all you want, I'd probably choose from this category. A good choice for flat water and long period waves. Shorter period not as much, then you want a kite you can redirect quickly to launch off a ramp that suddenly presents itself. Then a quick kite, more c-kite like, would be better. Think Naish Torch, North/Duotone Vegas, or -slightly easier to fly- the Naish Dash or the Slingshot RPM. Those kites will need much more work to fly high but if you're willing and able to get there, they will reward you with great jumps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”