Style: Freeride, kitefoil
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need advice for kitefoil in waves

Postby peter-rider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi !

I am wondering about starting kite foiling in waves. Does anyone have any bits of advice on the wing sizes? or the brands that offer gear for that?

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Re: Need advice for kitefoil in waves

Postby bay surfer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm

You need a slower wing. Board with some nose.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:04 pm

In general, large wings with thicker profile. Foils designed for surfing or SUPing work well. Just about all foil manufacturers are making such foils now. Moses, Zeeko, Naish, Slingshot, LF, Lift............................ Check out their websites for choices. Some dealers provide reviews on some brands on Youtube. For example MAC kiteboarding https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgaSOa ... -hR8vRRy5A

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm

massive following for the Moses 633 Onda wing(Onda is italian for wave)
check out the kitefoiling section on this forum, its all you need to know and more.
The Onda wing set up is not cheap, but may well be the best wave wing set by far, but that's only my thoughts.
It is a set, fuse, wing and stabilizer, 3 parts that make up the set,this is why the cost is high.
reassuringly expensive.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:30 pm

Hmm, I dunno why people aren't asking what the size and type waves you are planning to ride in are?
On a regular average sized kite foil you can ride shoulder high waves quite easily. Personally, I believe a medium aspect wing will suit it better than high AR, but I do not think size is necessarily the first issue...on a bigger foil you can go with a smaller kite so it might be an advantage just for that.

Also look for thick waves that kind of barely break. It will be a deep there than the beachbreak type. A kite can pull you in with a lot of speed.
I have still yet to try my surf foil with a kite so I might change my mind, but I dunno yet. :-)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 pm

I ride a Liquid Force Impulse foil, it is a cross over kite/wave foil. It can easily be ridden on swells of the Great Lakes so anything is possible. I have not tried ocean swells yet but if it can do Lake swells it has to be able to do Ocean swells.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:10 am

one big thing to look for in any sort of wave or swell riding is a wing which keeps you going when it breaks the surface as often happens on wave shapes when you carve round or get pushed up high as you accelerate downwind on a fast wave,
crossing over white water on the wrong wing style will dump you as well.
all avoidable and more easily recoverable by using a highly rated wave foil.

Thomas D
Rare Poster
Style: freeride and waves
Gear: Takoon, North, Cabrinha, Sroka

Postby Thomas D » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:47 am

Do not only focus on the wing but also focus on the mast, I would recommend to use a short one to have more control and more focus on the wave. Also it's good to choose 100% carbon mast and wing, a lot of brands are using foam inside so when you touch a rock on the reef, you just destroy the foil in no time.
I ride the SROKA foil carbon with a 730 cm2 wing and it makes the kite so easy to fly and surf even under power. The shape and the outline of this wing is a little different from what I saw in another brands and thickness give me a lot of tolerance and softness in the waves but that's just my thoughts.

peter-rider
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride, kitefoil
Gear: Zeeko

Postby peter-rider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 am

Hey guys, thank you all for your advice/ youtube videos, I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Using a short mast is very debatable...

I would never recommend this, as you will HAVE to focus all the time when riding the wave, not to crash because of ventilation.
Even on smaller but steeper waves, and even worse in bigger waves, this is a major issue.

Some like short masts, I have no idea why, but maybe because they also SUP or Surf foil without a kite?

I have three wave specific wings, a 570 cm2, a 790 cm2 large one, and a 1200 cm2 "Surf" wing.

Does not work for me with my 83 cm mast, too short for almost everything and I have to waste a lot of energy trying NOT to crash on or down the faces, or just when carving tight :(
- unless you can live with touching down occasionally instead of fluid flying - I cant...

So use my 92 cm when not too choppy, and my 100 cm otherwise - that is what I've found works best also with the huge Surf wing and a small kite :thumb:

Dont invest in a new mast if you got one now, try the new wing, MANY Surf wings around now and more to come, and see how it works, you might go either up in length or down, so dont waste money before you have more experience is my advice :D

You might like short masts, you might hate short masts - my point is just that there are VERY different opinions on this one, so you wont have a clue beforehand what will work for YOU.

8) Peter

Heading out to the waves with a 7 m2 kite last week, a 100 cm mast, using the huge Ketos Surf wing KF660-1200 (1200 cm2) in 10 knots of wind - yes, you use a lot smaller kites with the Surf wings, amazing :rollgrin:
In 14 knots a 5 m2 kite can be used for a 77 kg rider just perfectly powered in waves :D

PF.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”