Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Leading Edge Bulge

Postby foilholio » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:11 am

The color scheme? Really that is your deciding factor in a kite? Then what about the name Duotone? Maybe North can sell stickers.

No wonder brands put so much effort into their graphics and each year flys the same. They move product with new graphics and just the perception of it being new.

Hopefully Switch release something as good or better than the Neo. People need an option not to support this BS.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am

Nothing wrong with the question but apart from being aesthetically unpleasing, is there actually a problem associated with LEB ? I guess it's probably an indication of the strength of the LE but you can't say that almost all kites apart from the latest Core and some North develop LE strength related issues. With some kites weight is kept to a minimum, and I think both the airush one and ozone edge are amongst those.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Has thanked: 0

Postby Chicken-loop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 pm

foilholio wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:11 am
The color scheme? Really that is your deciding factor in a kite? Then what about the name Duotone? Maybe North can sell stickers.
What’s wrong with not liking the colour scheme? Why would you spend your hard earned cash on a toy that you don’t like the look of? Especially when you can buy one you do like the look of, that performs nearly identically.

I like plain kites, mature looking kites. Elevieght, Core, Ozone, Switch, Airush, North (2013 to 2018) I also like quality and robustness, hence the question about LEB.

I’d also like to know if LEB affects performance due to the increase in the LE diameter and by how much? And is LEB factored into the design parameters?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Wow thankyou for informing me that all the brands make identical kites and the only discernible difference is a color scheme. I would suppose then the more advanced brands would let you choose colors like Pansh, lol.

Thank you again for your informative service.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Chicken-loop wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 am

My agenda is buying a new kite. I was leaning towards a Duotone Neo until I saw the colour scheme. Now exploring other options for a surf/freeride kite..
What size are you looking at?
I dunno if you like the color scheme on the new Naish kites (I love the look of the teal / red), but apparently they are using a new thread that allows for more PSI in the kite without any deforming. The Slash is pretty epic IMO.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 am

tautologies wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 pm

What size are you looking at?
I dunno if you like the color scheme on the new Naish kites (I love the look of the teal / red), but apparently they are using a new thread that allows for more PSI in the kite without any deforming. The Slash is pretty epic IMO.
Just ordered a 2019 8m Pivot with a BTB bar. See what is like when I get it. The problem with where I live, it’s a 6 hour drive to the nearest kite shop so you can’t try before you buy. Hence my question about LEB.

To me a strong frame is as important as a strong canopy.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:42 am

Chicken-loop wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 am

Just ordered a 2019 8m Pivot with a BTB bar. See what is like when I get it. The problem with where I live, it’s a 6 hour drive to the nearest kite shop so you can’t try before you buy. Hence my question about LEB.

To me a strong frame is as important as a strong canopy.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop
Nice!! I really hope it works well for you. I am getting the 7 Slash and 9 Pivot. I agree on the frame part. Especially when you ride in gusty conditions that becomes prominent. The range of the pivot is pretty intense and I cannot tell you how many good wave sessions I've had on it.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3

Postby Chicken-loop » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:59 am

I got the grey and teal. The canopy material is awesome and the dacron seems of good quality. The kite feels incredibly lite from what I am used to. Yet to pump it up, however it says that the recommended pressure is 11psi.

The bar is awesome.....a quality piece of gear with good attention to detail.

Return to “Kitesurfing”