Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Grand Cayman - Barker's - Surf/Reef

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Grand Cayman - Barker's - Surf/Reef

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:58 pm

I visited Grand Cayman and kited Barker's back in 2013, I loved it, one of my favorite spots I've visited. At that point, I was strictly a flat water/boosting on small bumps kind of kiter. Now, I'm more into waves and ride a surfboard 90% of the time.

I'm just wondering if I visited in February, what are the waves like on the outside of the reef? Any other spots on the East End that would be worth checking. It's a good spot for the wife as well, that's why I'm thinking about re-visiting.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Grand Cayman - Barker's - Surf/Reef

Postby POACHER » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm

On the East End you can launch out of Collier's. It's a nice sand beach, has sun shade and is an easy launch. From there if you ride north you can get through the reef in front of The Reef resort. They have some large posts in the water to designate the channel. Outside there can be some decent swell. I've just cruised through there on my twin tip. I know the locals do a downwinder from there.

When Barkers is slammed with people, the East End is very quiet and uncrowded.

Worth a shot.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Grand Cayman - Barker's - Surf/Reef

Postby bkkite » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I just did Barkers in April and there where 5-10 other people out there each day plus horses swimming. It was slightly onshore wind, so not ideal, but still a ton of fun in crystal clear water.

Had I had more time, I would have driven out to the east end to check out the more secluded spots

Return to “Kitesurfing”