Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:45 am

Core and Ozone are two brands ruined for me by a couple of their distributors.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:35 am

deniska wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 am
james wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 pm
So you didn’t read the bit about the thin bridle being for the speed sailing then?

Not for boosting, freestyle or leaving covered in shit in your car or garage for weeks at a time.

Purely for going fast in specific conditions where actually not having gear failure is high on the priority list.

Did he say it was a retail product or one that was part of the XR5 development cycle for the public? Nope he didn’t
Yes I did read it.. thanks!
They already did put a hair-thin tektanium shit line in PU as a center "safety" line in new bars. Not race bars! That's out there! It is breaking!
Previous thick line was eaten in a few months BUT at least you could see the wear.. not the case with the new one.
And self-unwind feature stopped working either.. the replaced bar is less than 1 year old, but I doubt they will be replacing it again.. can someone prove me wrong?
It sucks that "revolutionary" ceramic self-untwist swivel in a $600 bar cannot last a year would not you think?
So yeah, if they pretend that XR5/6 is a race kite and do this shit, I'll dump it w/o thinking..

Let’s take it down a notch..

No one is pretending anything is a Race kite. No one HAS to have the most expensive bar either the sensor 2 is more than enough, you think the techtanium one is over priced? , don’t buy it. You don’t want a carved board? Get the choice or other TT save some money.

I had a ceramic bearing set up replaced, the new one was fine and now run a sensor 2 bar with same swivel, no problem

PU covering on all depower lines on ALL brands can be attacked

Cab, north click bar, ozone they all cover the line.

It’s not that core are out on their own and the only ones doing it so clearly the guys designing the gear across multiple brands feel it is of benefit

This thread is odd really, in 12 pages the op never put up a picture of the failure as usually happens or they are called out to do so.

Plus the USA dustributor has said nothing publicly or to the OP.

This is just plain weird.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby thewindego » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Real is always the most expensive and with the exchange its not the place for me to buy. Also their prices have gone up since the spring by $200 or so it seems. But ozone at Real and north rebel at oceantoair are same or more than core.

If you get a 12m xr5 its $2029CDn list in Canada. At silent sports a new switchblade 12m is $2200 so what you state is not fair to hammer on Core prices IMO.

The gear is solid and no complaints from my experience with my dealer.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm

james wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:35 am

Let’s take it down a notch..

No one is pretending anything is a Race kite. No one HAS to have the most expensive bar either the sensor 2 is more than enough, you think the techtanium one is over priced? , don’t buy it. You don’t want a carved board? Get the choice or other TT save some money.

I had a ceramic bearing set up replaced, the new one was fine and now run a sensor 2 bar with same swivel, no problem

PU covering on all depower lines on ALL brands can be attacked

Cab, north click bar, ozone they all cover the line.

It’s not that core are out on their own and the only ones doing it so clearly the guys designing the gear across multiple brands feel it is of benefit

This thread is odd really, in 12 pages the op never put up a picture of the failure as usually happens or they are called out to do so.

Plus the USA dustributor has said nothing publicly or to the OP.

This is just plain weird.
My bad.. it must be my english (not my native language).. I probably misinterpreted it when the UK dealer (?) said that xr5 was breaking some race records and they were working on thinner race bridles for it... So not a race kite.. good.. The guys at ozone foil division can breath easier now :-)
Yes others also cover center lines with PU.. but they don't use stupid thin lines that break within 6 months!! I keep stressing this because it's not fun when the gear lets you down like this. Core replaced the bar, but they did not replaced a ripped kite that ended up on a tree because of that :-( !!!
anyway, there are 2 main reasons why people keep venting in this thread:
1) expectation that an expensive new gear should last at least a year of normal use (I am not talking abuse.. but if your bar breaks a half, your lines break w/o any visible signs of wear, your swivel stops spinning, etc that seems reasonable to be upset about -it's just bad design!)
2) expectation that regional dealer would have spare parts at reasonable prices.. sorry but it's not reasonable to pay $50 for a single 20inch bridle line

Bruce Buffer
Rare Poster
Gear: shopping bag on 2 lines
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bruce Buffer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:43 pm

AAAAAAANDdd NEEEEWW OVERPRICED CHAMPION OF THE WORLLLLDdd

According to Core site and if google exchange is correct, 12m XR5 is 2,393.86 Canadian Dollar at the moment. Almost 200$ more than latest greatest Cabrinha Switchblade at Silent Sports. Nice thewindego!

I really really like our local Core dealer. He's a true lifesaver and a safety ambassador. Sporty d00d, 6'4" 220lb that's into martial arts. We call him Sheep Shearer.
You know when you take a breather and an average beachgoer comes up to you asking questions about your parachute??? Well you need not to worry about being bothered because he's already on his way.
Jumps right off the water, wedges himself in between you and bewildered beachgoer, ready to answer any question while our kites are having sex high up in the air.
Shortly after you can see them at the bar where beer is on him while he explains how super easy and safe kiteboarding really is, I mean anybody can do it. Rumor has it that one time use of his wife comes with each purchase of a new 10m and up.
On his favorite days of straight onshore he will often work 6 mile stretch of the beach practicing his slalom skills between swimmers while his uber kite and tactanium lines are making shaving sound right above people sun bathing.
So you can't reason with him, you can't beat him up, can't call cops on him and we emailed CoreUSA. Nobody replied.

GraemeF: "Are you all real?"
Last edited by Bruce Buffer on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ulukaya
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oak Beach
Style: Big Air
Gear: Core XR5 9m,12m
Carved Imperator V 135x39cm

Postby ulukaya » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Indeed I emailed both Germany and USA even pointed out this post. I have emails and all, nothing to hide. They decided to stay silent themselves and let few of their distributors talk.

Even though I submitted my serial numbers and all, they didn't even care about warranty, they applied full price and the international shipping. I didn't even ask for a free bridle. But when the USA distributor Brett emailed me with attitude and with his words "you are welcome that we put this order in on Sunday night", that's what it tipped me off. I pay a really high price for a kite, asking for a service, getting charged international shipping, he puts an order on Sunday evening after I reached out on Thursday night, and I'm welcome?

Also to point out this is happening in NY, where we don't get that much regular wind or too much sun. I don't even know how other Core kites can stand fully exposure to sun in South regions and in places where there is wind everyday. And we are talking just big air, no crazy loops, tomahawks, freestyle trials. There is zero abuse and super light usage.

I'm sorry if Core thinks letting customers down and doubling down on marketing is the way to go, this thread will keep alive.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Then Brett is a douche...

Thing is though the longer this post goes it morphs from people feeling sympathy for the shit you had to feeling like you are now dragging it on to be vindictive l

Clearly Brett doesnt give a f*** so this post doesn’t effect him in the slightest, if it did you would have had a response from him.

How does the store you bought from feel about this? Are you wanting to harm them or Brett’s business?

The responsibility for sorting you out is actually the stores if you look into it, it certainly is in The Uk.

Unless you have the situation of the distributor selling direct in which case I stand by the fact that Brett had mugged you off. Not Core, Brett.

A better title might be

Don’t buy Core kites from Brett....

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:39 pm

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Plus $600 CDN for their lowest price bar and $1150CDN for a board.

That's 3780..... $4270 CDN after tax for a one kite one board quiver. (12m)

$4800.....$5424 CDN after tax for a 12m with their top bar and board.

I'm pretty sure it's not fake news to point out that Core offer some of the most expensive kite gear on the market.

ulukaya
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oak Beach
Style: Big Air
Gear: Core XR5 9m,12m
Carved Imperator V 135x39cm

Postby ulukaya » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 pm

james wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 pm
How does the store you bought from feel about this? Are you wanting to harm them or Brett’s business?

Unless you have the situation of the distributor selling direct in which case I stand by the fact that Brett had mugged you off. Not Core, Brett.

A better title might be

Don’t buy Core kites from Brett....
My store is still trying to hear from Core Germany. I'm not trying to harm either.

Your suggestion would be true if there was another way to get spare parts in USA. Even when you order online yourself, they cancel it and make Core USA do a new invoice.
And Core is the one who chose this distributor and staying behind him. All your emails to HQ from US, simply bounces to him.

I went to the international sales manager Philip Schinnagel and he simply said to handle with Core USA.
I wanted to warn people so they know they have no service if they end up buying a Core kite in USA.

Here's some extra context:
We get some corporate/group buys, and get discounts form various brands. I wanted to establish same with Core USA. I made it clear the terms and percentages cause no one wants to give their emails for little where they can get much more slack from their local dealers. He asks me to collect emails for the group buy. We collect over 30 emails ready to buy, and he comes back with quarter of the percentage we put as minimum, keeping all our confidential email and names for marketing. That's what I call sleazy marketing. Obviously all those 30 people ended up buying other brands where they got 6-8 times more percentage discounts. I opened this to HQ, and all I heard was distributor has the last word.

Separate from this group, 6 of my friends ended up buying 12 Core XR5 kites from Europe. I think damage already has been done to in one case to Core, other case to only Core USA. So I'm not trying to teach them business. I'm warning prospective buyers and asking owners to demand their service rights.

So if Core doesn't give you another option to get spare parts besides dealing with this guy in USA and shipping your parts from Germany, then it affects all the people who buys Core kites in USA.
If UK distributor is similar it affects the entire UK, cause you don't have a 2nd option. You are buying the most expensive kite brand knowing that you'll have no service whatsoever.
You've been warned.
Last edited by ulukaya on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”