Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Forum for kitesurfers
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Postby jakemoore » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Flysurfer has the right idea with pulley lines. They include a set with the kite and make it known they are a wear out part.

Ozone and FS include some of the through the bar wear out lines with new kit.

Maybe other manufacturer does not include. Pulley lines and through the bar lines wear out. It still has a cost up front or on the back end.

Buy from the dealer, buy somewhere else or make your own. Annapolis Performance Sailing charges $14 to do an eye splice. 2 splices plus line and shipping and you are in the same ball park as a free line paid shipping from Europe. Nobody is getting rich on these line replacements and their time has a value.

Some customers should come with a warning label.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:00 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:22 pm
CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Look at the pictures, there is no wear. Just failure from a single point load with the hint of a cut. Much as you might wish it, this is not a case of wear and tear, it's not even a case of failure due to defect. You keyboard warriors with all your experience... Know the square root of diddly squat.
What do think was the cause of the failures?
It's fairly obvious what I think, but being charitable,
Without being charitable, exactly what do you think?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:06 am

tautologies wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 pm
What pulley is this kite using?
:tv:

:coffee:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:22 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 pm
***** the line was snagged in a previous launch incident but didn't fail, and or failed the next time, but it was almost certainly snagged on something sharp to breach the woven outer and to sufficient depth that the inner core was also compromised in one incident*****
That is the most logical explanation......since when it went kaput....the wind was only 15 knots
I bet the line on the other bridle side that did not break shows very minimal normal wear at the back and forth pulley location
Well said Captain Kirk !!

Now this is what Spock has to say to the OP

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:14 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:10 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm
Graeme F is.....well he is Graeme F - known for being less than courteous to other posters, a COREporate hack, and doubling down without any hint of an apology every single time.

Really, what's this then?
GraemeF wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm

If at some time or other my dubious wit has been misinterpreted, then accept my apology,

And if he'd known he was apologising to one of Trumps childlike climate change deniers in the face of fake news I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have bothered.

Are you a Flat Earther and Creationist as well?

Just checking who we have here these days, that carbon credits thread was very revealing.

I bet you think Dinosaurs are a scientific construct. [ur]lhttps://www.christiansagainstdinosaurs.com[/url

Only in America. :lol:

And here you go on again! But your blanket apology covers everything, past, present and future! So you are forgiven?

Let me just put this simply. When you are called out on making fun of a something like a natural disaster and the people who live in that region who are facing the death and destruction that disaster has brought upon them, apologize for that specific instance. I mean, was that reference called for or not? Was that reference a fun and light hearted poke? - No, it was just disgusting. But your blanket apology covers everything, past, present and future! So you are forgiven?

I do not really care about any insults you hurl specifically at me, but stop with horrible bigoted generalizations that include entire regions or countries. HOW DO YOU WORK FOR CORE??? And how do you claim to be anti Trump, anti religion, and anti "flat earther" when you display the same poor taste and bigotry as those you tout as being idiotic? If you really are a leftist, you need some serious court mandated sensitivity training. Ask Core if they will put you through that training and post back with why your blanket apology, followed by the same insult was not really very sensitive of you.

Seriously, Graeme F, you are making Trump look good.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:01 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:19 pm
Look at the pictures, there is no wear. Just failure from a single point load with the hint of a cut. Much as you might wish it, this is not a case of wear and tear, it's not even a case of failure due to defect. You keyboard warriors with all your experience... Know the square root of diddly squat.
I don't think you are making it any better for the CORE, the company, here..
read the original post...
Now your version: the guy cuts his own bridle line, in order to buy a new one from core and gets pissed that US dealer does not store parts and charges him international shipping that exceeds the price of that line? Or are you claiming that he made up the entire story just to piss CORE?
Accidental cut? with flying lines I'd say - sure! People step on them press them against sharp rock, shells..
Bridles are usually under the kite.. XR5 takes pride in short bridles.. this shit gets shorter every release :-) ... I don't see how they could be accidentally cut.. I mean possible but not very likely.
My understanding is that OP did not even pretend to claim warranty on the snapped bridle.. he was just pissed that getting the replacements are so costly and complicated..
what's unreasonable here?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:06 am
tautologies wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 pm
What pulley is this kite using?
:tv:

:coffee:
Yeah pretty much every other company stopped using these. The pulley wheel can be super sharp and cut through a bridle. They aren't made for kiting.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 pm

tautologies wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 am

Yeah pretty much every other company stopped using these. The pulley wheel can be super sharp and cut through a bridle. They aren't made for kiting.
Kiting for 700 hours / 350 sessions / 3.5 years that's how long they are good for the pulleys and bridles until it becomes the time to think of replacing the whole system

Not 15-20 sessions / 30-40 hours / 9 months like complaining OP

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Do you guys realize no matter what if the OP had an agenda or he was just honestly complaining, the damage that all this ridiculous discussion, calling names and blaming game is causing to Core image is waaaay worse than his initial complain? If he actually had a plan to "hurt" Core, damn he was really successfull, but because of yours.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:44 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 pm
tautologies wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 am

Kiting for 700 hours / 350 sessions / 3.5 years that's how long they are good for the pulleys and bridles until it becomes the time to think of replacing the whole system

Not 15-20 sessions / 30-40 hours / 9 months like complaining OP
I don't think that goes for all of them, which is why I most brands use the sheaveless pulleys. Not trying to argue with you here, but you both might be right. There is no reason to think OP is lying, because the story seems plausible when you know that the pulley might be the culprit.

The solution would be easy here. Brand could ship via normal postage service. So a slight additional effort would go along way here.

OP, check your pulley.

Return to “Kitesurfing”