Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Forum for kitesurfers
SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Postby SaltWaterDog » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 pm

ulukaya wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 pm
Long story short, if CORE is gonna charge $1700 to a kite but
- has bridle lines that goes off really quick
- has terrible service trying to blame customers
- CORE USA being unresponsive and just using sleazy salesman tactics to charge you more.
- CORE USA has no spare parts and you are depending to shipment from Germany in each issue.

I'm out of this brand, and you are WARNED. I rather stick to a brand that either charges low or better local service.
I feel your pain, I really do. Dealing with a lousy distributor is a pain in the neck. Equipment failures happen and while I have experienced none of what you detail, you absolutely have my sympathy.

It’s a shame you think the guys in Germany no longer deserve your business. Like has been said in the thread already, they are a group of dedicated people who want to provide the absolute best equipment possible and yes, the price certainly reflects that. I know for a fact that quality control is top priority for them and they’re not afraid to dump entire production runs (recently Choice 2 boards) because quality has been compromised. Mistakes and failures happen no matter how much attention to detail you give. I fail to see what you hope to gain from starting a thread like this apart from venting your frustration, but wish you all the best with your next setup.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Hey are you that billionaire guy ?

Last edited by PullStrings on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 am

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 pm
... a lousy distributor. [Core]are a group of dedicated people who want to provide the absolute best equipment possible and yes, the price certainly reflects that.
Then Core should not have appointed a lousy distributor in the USA.

In the UK Core has appointed a distributor that many in the industry will have no dealings with.

Seems that Core need to sort their international act out.

ulukaya
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oak Beach
Style: Big Air
Gear: Core XR5 9m,12m
Carved Imperator V 135x39cm

Postby ulukaya » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:07 am

I started this thread
- with finding out my $1700 kite would have worn bridles in 15-20 sessions while pulleys were intact.
- to get attention from CORE to have a serious distributor in USA who can at least store some spare parts and have some customer service besides mailing invoices everytime you ask a question.
- to find out if there was an issue in the bridle design or material itself.

What they did was
- blaming customer and suggesting customer was a kook to connect bridles wrong.
- Then suggested pulleys would be messed up and sending me an invoice to add pulleys on my bill.
- shipping parts from Germany after lots of attitude.

I already replaced a pair of bridles but others still seem worn out, may need to be changed soon as well. Core have not replied to my support emails, and haven't heard back from Core USA after they charge me. Instead they sent their distributors to the forum to support or talk BS. They are busy with instagram and mail marketing instead of dealing with their real customers. My 6 close friends who have XR5 (yeah we bought all after each other) are all worried and I wouldn't buy any kite from them anymore.

And I warn anyone who would buy a CORE kite to think about service. Cause neither your dealer nor distributor will support you, yes XR5 bridles wear way faster than others, and everytime you need a replacement you'll pay a hefty shipping and wait from Germany. Unless you live close to Germany, it's a big risk to buy Core kites.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:29 am

Really doubt 20 sessions can wear bridles.
As a matter of fact this is a first case I’ve heard of LEI kite bridles failing.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 am
SaltWaterDog wrote:
... a lousy distributor. [Core]are a group of dedicated people who want to provide the absolute best equipment possible and yes, the price certainly reflects that.

In the UK Core has appointed a distributor that many in the industry will have no dealings with.

I'm sympathetic to OP's issue but to conclude that as a trend would be, oh I don't know, stupid? Yes. Yes it would.

You'll have to back up your postulate about the UK distributor being an industry reject before I can take you seriously.

They've only been growing in the last +5 years so the "international act" seems to be well sorted out. My experience with them has been nothing but positive and plenty of other kiters at spots around here echo that experience as well.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 am

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 am
iriejohn wrote:
SaltWaterDog wrote:

I'm sympathetic to OP's issue but to conclude that as a trend would be, oh I don't know, stupid? Yes. Yes it would.
A "trend"? Nice straw man but sorry, I won't bite.
You'll have to back up your postulate about the UK distributor being an industry reject before I can take you seriously.
"Reject"? Your words not mine. The unsecured debts incurred when the distributors previous company went into liquidation are a matter of public record.
They've only been growing in the last +5 years so the "international act" seems to be well sorted out. My experience with them has been nothing but positive and plenty of other kiters at spots around here echo that experience as well.
Given that Core are located in the North of Germany and your location is ...
Local Beach:Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
... one would certainly hope so!!!

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:23 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 am
SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 am
iriejohn wrote:

A "trend"? Nice straw man but sorry, I won't bite.
"Reject"? Your words not mine. The unsecured debts incurred when the distributors previous company went into liquidation are a matter of public record.
Given that Core are located in the North of Germany and your location is ...
Local Beach:Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
... one would certainly hope so!!!
Oh don’t be such a drama queen. Straw man my ass. You’re happy to suggest Core needs to sort out their international distribution on the basis of one pissed off customer and a claim that you won’t even back up. I don’t know what’s gone on with the UK distributor in the past but simply going bankrupt is not enough to conclude “many in the industry will have no dealings with” said distributor. But if you know better, by all means, educate me please.

I’ve done the whole online offensive after crap customer care and it involved screen shots of poor correspondence showing a clear intent to run from responsibility. The OP has provided none of that despite the ominous headline warning us all to beware. Equipment failure sucks and happens to all of us at some point. On that I’m sympathetic but that’s it.

If someone wants to generalise about a product that I own and have had no problems with at all, then I’ll chime in and add some perspective. Doesn’t take away from their experience, but I’m grateful for the second reminder of where I live. In case I forget I now know where to ask for help. Not that it matters, but one reason why Core made sense to me was the fact that I live a couple hours drive from HQ. Whether corresponding or showing up in person, I’ve only been treated the way a customer should be treated. And while reading about someone else’s bad experience is no fun, it’s unfair to smear them as a bunch of money hungry used car salesmen who run from responsibility, just because one individual pissed on your foot and told you it was raining that day.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Drama aside, ALL of this reflects on a kite company. This forum wields significant influence on the global kite scene.

Like it or not, we're in the age of influencers and how a brand reflects on here is a factor to their brand.

I venture to guess the majority of kiters have not tried a core product, but that won't stop them from forming an opinion, based more on how they reflect than the merit of performance, quality or service.

One of the local kiters I respect most has a Core kite. Thats a big influence on my opinion. We both follow the industry as enthusiasts. I value his opinion highly. He loves his XR, it looks super clean and solid in the sky, and I can clearly see it's quick and powerful for it's size. If this place didn't exist, I'd be super keen to try one, but Im ambivalent and not really inclined to make an effort. Why is that? Ive tried to figure it out myself.

Its pretty much solely based on what I've read here that my opinion is what it is. There are so many good kites out there, that simply reflecting poorly is enough, to drop a brand down a very long list.

The three biggest factors pushing them down my list..... Their marketing, their UK distributor, their super fans, their price.

They have always had over the top marketing with crap editing and uber tech nonsense. As they grew it went from garbage speak to the shallow end of Instagram culture. Future C and tectanium to bubble butts in indo. Hollow, cringe worthy gloss, with the wiff of elitism. Would think a German brand self aware enough to do better. - first gen German descendant with plenty of time in country and around Germans abroad.

Their UK distributor is one of the least genuine personalities on here with multiple accounts, slander, and derision as hallmarks. You can look into previous business history if you wish, but the fact he was banned from his native kite forum and openly anti kiting as a windsurfing distributor prior to selling kites was enough for me to discount those who choose to hire him.

Super fans are not really up to the company itself, but non the less reflect on them. Something in the brand speaks to these people, and they in turn speak volumes.

The pricing reeks of elitism. The first bar in the industry over $600. Production twin tips over $1000. Breaking new ground that no one outside a share holder should be proud of. It's excessive to the point of transparency. Kite gear as status symbol is most definitely a personal turn off.

On another note. I think its absolutely essential for this forum to call out inappropriate consumer behaviour. In this case, I already know I'm a little too ignorant and biased to weigh in on the OP. Maybe one of Captain Core's other personas can shed a more balanced light on that!

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:36 pm

@jumptheshark....Very good summary of what many people think of Core ... Specially about the UK distributor .. An arrogant and unpleasant character

Return to “Kitesurfing”