Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Forum for kitesurfers
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Re: Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Postby GraemeF » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:03 pm
but the fact he was banned from his native kite forum
Really? that's interesting and the first I heard of it.

As to the rest of this nonsense once more trying to 'reel me in' with all manner of deceptive bait, downright lies for the most part.

Some facts. I've never been 'bankrupt' or forced by banks to close, indeed if the halfwit that announced it, had any business acumen whatsoever, he would have read that at the time of the Surf-Sales/Ease restructure the Surf Sales balance sheet was half a million pound positive after all it's liabilities were taken into account and no supplier or bank lost money & Ease distribution took over the trading title and any other outstanding liabilities.

Where this bile comes from or why I have no idea, but the way this 'industry' works is precisely because people like me risk everything to bring these products into your market places.

Neither I nor the US distributor are 'lousy' distributors, between us we've raised the Core profile amongst English speaking countries over the past four years and seriously increased the global market presence, Core is the only kite brand still growing and still gaining market share.

You would condemn a man and put his livelihood at stake because someone claims he has a faulty bridle and had to pay to have it mailed to him? Are you all real?

It's well known that fake identity and fake issues are often used on public forums to try and discredit brands even in the odd case of a genuine issue, that this may be, (but if it is, it is in isolation), and as is always the case on this forum, there will be other brand tools weighing in. I've actually been telephoned today to put an end to this drivel by other customers who have used kites very hard for years and had no bridle failure, indeed we are currently trialling a new even thinner bridle on the speed circuit where the XR5 is breaking records that have stood for some time and the rider is very distressed to read all this when it patently isn't the case on his kites after far more use.

Now as for those who allegedly will not deal with me, I'd like names there as well please. I pride myself that other than one account in the West country that still owes me thirteen thousand pounds I can walk into any kiteshop in the country with a smile and expect a warm greeting, many of them owe their very existence to help from me in their early days either as kiteshops or windsurf stores. Now the fact I deliberately choose not to deal with some shops is a commercial decision to keep the Core brand in greater demand than the supply, so the stores that are servicing the market do get to make profit until such time as the market share is big enough to support more outlets and Core big enough to supply that demand and that's how it remains. So it might be easier to suggest somehow a spurned account such as the webshop in the bedroom that operates in iriejohn's region or the worldwide web discount operation that I won't deal with and probably also want me gone will also weigh in with a pet tool, I don't know, but it's not a healthy thing for this or any forum

So, I deal with them in the same way, fake identities and humour, there are far too many keyboard warriors with agendas driven by things like this and gone are the days when we all would meet up and laugh about the days banter on Tuesday night drinks.

Indeed do you not think, given I've been on this and other forums what, 14 years? There would have been a call, or thread, by somebody if I'd owed them money or done them some other disservice in their business dealings with me?

So, let's call it quits on the personal slander shall we? If at some time or other my dubious wit has been misinterpreted, then accept my apology, if I have indeed done something genuinely annoying, then everyone knows I have a phone number, always have, you don't get to trade in this business and walk the beaches of the world for nearly forty years without being legit and if you don't 'get' my humour then I'm also sorry, my Mrs doesn't get it either, so let her do the tongue lashing for you OK?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm

GraemeF wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm
I've actually been telephoned today to put an end to this drivel by other customers who have used kites very hard for years and had no bridle failure, indeed we are currently trialling a new even thinner bridle on the speed circuit where the XR5 is breaking records that have stood for some time and the rider is very distressed to read all this when it patently isn't the case on his kites after far more use.
thinner bridle would be a "no buy" for me for the next core.
it's bad enough that they put thinner "tectanium" lines covered with PU tubes on the 2 center lines.
This thing is just a ticking bomb and you can't predict when it explodes.
Last line broke on me on a high jump, I hit QR and the kite flew away and ended up on a tree..
Nothing on PU would suggest any wear and the whole bar was about 6month old.
Core was nice enough to replace the whole thing.. but now I am replacing those stupid lines every 6 months just in case and it aint cheap!!!
I should also note that I had 2 warranty bar replacements over the last 4 years ;-) (first one broke a half)
Now for the bridles, on XR3/4 they start to get very mushy after about half a year for me.
and yes, some guys will never need to replace them.. if you mow the lawn - they'll last forever..
But the XR is marketed as a wonder kite and big booster! I ride it very powered.
So I would expect them to enforce the bridle and not to make them thinner..
Ideally they should remove the pulleys.
A friend rides the edge in similar conditions and that has zero impact on the bridles...
just my 2 cents..

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 pm

So you didn’t read the bit about the thin bridle being for the speed sailing then?

Not for boosting, freestyle or leaving covered in shit in your car or garage for weeks at a time.

Purely for going fast in specific conditions where actually not having gear failure is high on the priority list.

Did he say it was a retail product or one that was part of the XR5 development cycle for the public? Nope he didn’t

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I am a Cabrinha guy, ride drifters and love them for wave and foiling. I also love my fireball. I have ridden core kites and they are phenomenal from a power stand point. Very quick and reactive and have perfect bar pressure. I have only ridden the xr4 and a larger xr5.
The kites remind me of my Audi. German engineering.

I was on the verge and buying a quiver but could not swallow the price. I dont think they are worth that.

I would just say that Cabrinha and the guys at big winds have been great to me. I am not only buying the product, but i am buying the service.

I had a bar issue a few years back.. Big winds fixed it for $75. Cabrinha later issued a recall on the bar and Bigwinds called me, and refunded me the charge. This is what i have come to expect from these guys.

What ever happened here with the core bridal, you now have 11 pages of bad press on an issue that could have been solved by sending out a new bridal free of charge. The OP's tittle then would have been, "Core Kites, the one to buy"

As a retailer, wholesaler or Manf, sometimes even when you might be right, it is best to suck it up and cater to the customer. When you spend $1500 on a kite and something breaks right away, i would certainly think it should be covered.

Just my $.02.

ulukaya
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oak Beach
Style: Big Air
Gear: Core XR5 9m,12m
Carved Imperator V 135x39cm

Postby ulukaya » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Yeah I liked the kite to the bits, coming from SB it was way more playful and I felt in control.

But the reason I paid into Core was what I heard about their durability, quality and service. I decided to buy new so I had no reliability issue. I had the first issue in 9 months from a brand new kite and felt betrayed right away.

I take excellent care on the kites, always dry fold them in no wind zone and keep in AC controlled room. Since I mostly do big air and so kite rarely touches water and never leave them all day under sun.

It's a testament that Core doesn't care that they let this bad PR open for this long and haven't even responded to any of my support emails.

Core USA simply put an invoice instead of asking the issue, they even further assumed pulleys would be stuck and even added complete bridal setup in my invoice. (If the kite is fully intact and only 9 months old but you are saying your whole bridle lines should be damaged, you are actually admitting that your whole setup, and quality is terrible.)

My dealer also requested bridal lines and he hasn't heard back from Core main office either. All this issue happening, I'm sending photos and serial numbers, all I got was invoices and credit card transactions.

When I had Cabrinha, I would either get it repaired quick or find spare parts in same days. I had an issue with an LF foilboard, they replaced right away, Ocean Rodeo was ready to do so even though I didn't need at the end, Ride Engine had a supply problem, they resolved. Core could go only so much with the "German engineering" BS. North or Duotone is German too, but you don't hear them saying we are gonna set the price high but not going to service you, instead keep charging you for every incremental.
Last edited by ulukaya on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ulukaya
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oak Beach
Style: Big Air
Gear: Core XR5 9m,12m
Carved Imperator V 135x39cm

Postby ulukaya » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 pm

GraemeF wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm
Neither I nor the US distributor are 'lousy' distributors, between us we've raised the Core profile amongst English speaking countries over the past four years and seriously increased the global market presence, Core is the only kite brand still growing and still gaining market share.
What did you do for English speaking countries? Did you translate the web page from German to English. Cause my Chrome browser already does that automatically with Google Translate.

When I tried to learn about Core kites from Core USA, all I get back was "this is an amazing kite, here's your invoice".

All my knowledge and reason to buy about Core kites came from my local kiters. I have a small whatsapp group for 10 local friends, 6 of us bought XR5 in this year, just because we recommended each other. and few others in the beach. After this I'll be first one to leave the boat and wouldn't recommend any one.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 am

Everybody always bashes core for being so expensive. I don't see that in list price compared to any other big brand. Fake news LOL.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 am

Fake news! Seriously? Tell me honestly that bar is not the most expensive bar you have ever bought.

https://store.corekites.com/collections ... sor-2s-pro

That’s $969 Canada bucks on their web store, $1088 CDN from Real...Their most expensive bar by $230 US.

https://store.corekites.com/collections ... wakestyler

Thats $1492 CDN for a TT.

Their kites look reasonable until you see the price quoted is for the 5m! $1739 US... $2283 CDN for a 12m from Real. $2387 CDN on their webstore.

Not even their most expensive option. The wake style bar... add 50 euro, and the Carved boards..... even more. Their biggest light wind kite is $2985 CDN from their store.

Thats a whopping $3371 CDN for a 12m XR5 with bar from Real....Throw in the TT and your looking at almost 5 grand for a one kite one board quiver.

Priciest on the market by a decent margin.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 am

james wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 pm
So you didn’t read the bit about the thin bridle being for the speed sailing then?

Not for boosting, freestyle or leaving covered in shit in your car or garage for weeks at a time.

Purely for going fast in specific conditions where actually not having gear failure is high on the priority list.

Did he say it was a retail product or one that was part of the XR5 development cycle for the public? Nope he didn’t
Yes I did read it.. thanks!
They already did put a hair-thin tektanium shit line in PU as a center "safety" line in new bars. Not race bars! That's out there! It is breaking!
Previous thick line was eaten in a few months BUT at least you could see the wear.. not the case with the new one.
And self-unwind feature stopped working either.. the replaced bar is less than 1 year old, but I doubt they will be replacing it again.. can someone prove me wrong?
It sucks that "revolutionary" ceramic self-untwist swivel in a $600 bar cannot last a year would not you think?
So yeah, if they pretend that XR5/6 is a race kite and do this shit, I'll dump it w/o thinking..

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 am

Unfortunelly some brands/reps undervaluate the cost of bad exposure, and this tread is a clear example of that. You simply will be not able to measure how much this bad exposure will cost to the brand. I am myself a Core enthusiat and I am disapointed on how all this issue has been handled, and, besides loving the kites, I will definetelly take into account when buy new gear. That free bridle lines (being the OP right or not) would have cost waaay much less, thats a fact.
I hope that all the manufacturers have being paying attention to this discussion and taking some lessons fom it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”