Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Opinion on NP helmets

Postby RickI » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:56 am

I wouldn't use the Gath Surf Hat for kitesurfing for the reasons you suspect. I currently use the NP helmet and have done for several years. I used the Gath Gedi for several years as well. I used the Protec Ace Wake for many years before that as well but preferred the other two helmets due to their lighter weight among other considerations. The ear covers fell off all three helmets in time, bad for ear protection against perforation from a hard water impact but better for hearing during your sessions.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby espana23 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:14 am

RickI wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:56 am
I wouldn't use the Gath Surf Hat for kitesurfing for the reasons you suspect. I currently use the NP helmet and have done for several years. I used the Gath Gedi for several years as well. I used the Protec Ace Wake for many years before that as well but preferred the other two helmets due to their lighter weight among other considerations. The ear covers fell off all three helmets in time, bad for ear protection against perforation from a hard water impact but better for hearing during your sessions.
Are the ear covers that easy to fall off? Can you secure them in any way so they don't fall off? Can you buy replacements?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Are the ear covers that easy to fall off? Can you secure them in any way so they don't fall off? Can you buy replacements?
Each helmet had a lot of use, that was about four or five helmets in full-time service over 17 year period. They were never badly dinged they just wore out. The ear cover retention system is a little different in all three. You could probably do something with tie wraps to improve the retention.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby espana23 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:37 pm

RickI wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm
Each helmet had a lot of use, that was about four or five helmets in full-time service over 17 year period. They were never badly dinged they just wore out. The ear cover retention system is a little different in all three. You could probably do something with tie wraps to improve the retention.

Thanks for the info.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm

You are correct, the "Carbon" is just the look, not the construction. The NP's all have the same construction. And just like was mentioned before, the sizing is fairly generous and adjustable. We use them in our school, as well.

SENDIT!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:41 am

I am not a fan of ear covers on helmets. They tend to act as resonators to make wind noise much louder. They might help with ear impacts and keep wind out, but they don't stop water getting in your ears.

In winter I wore a neoprene surf hat under the helmet. That damped out the wind noise a little and kept my ears relatively dry. It's also a lot warmer than just a helmet. Best by far is a wetsuit with a fully integrated hood. It's much warmer and the close fitting hood means my ears stay dry. I am a little obsessive about keeping my ears dry after finally having surgery to correct surfer's ear.

In warmer weather I wear a surf hat. The FCS and Patagonia surf hats have neoprene ear covers that reduce wind and stop water impact. Getting water in my ears is not such a concern in warmer weather and it drains out much better since I had the surgery.

I liked the Gath Convertible surf hat best of all when it worked. It's light and reasonably comfortable and had less vents that create a heap of wind noise. I ended up returning it. The adjustment system is a set of adhesive strips. They're fine until the glue lets go. Gath gave me lots of replacement strips but they would not hold for more than 1-2 sessions in cold weather. I could have tried different glues but I didn't want to put that much effort into making a helmet work when it was the most expensive helmet by a long way.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:44 pm

espana2323 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:24 pm
ScoopZ wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:19 pm
My "black carbon" NP helmet is a lot more stylish than the white gath helmet I used to have.....on the occasions I choose to wear it anyway.

Using the medium, they are surprisingly roomy as I normally size as a large.
The "black carbon" one from NP, does not differ in weight and protection compared to the non-carbon NP ones correct? My understanding is that the "carbon" they refer to is due to the paint work on the helmet, correct?
Yes its just a dipped graphic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”