Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Fusion and Kitesurfing Videos, The Future of POV?

Forum for kitesurfers
bluepearlqatar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Furwait QATAR
Favorite Beaches: To Many to List
Style: Go Out And Ride
Gear: Shinn, Cabrinha, Airush
Brand Affiliation: Shinn, Cabrinha, Airush
Has thanked: 0

GoPro Fusion and Kitesurfing Videos, The Future of POV?

Postby bluepearlqatar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am

Been playing with the Go Pro Fusion for the last 2 months and the flexibility you get from this camera on a selfie stick whilst riding is amazing. It is not perfect by any means but gives a lot of creative flexibility when editing a piece. There are the headaches related to editing and the cost to get the most out of this camera is far above the cost of the camera itself once you dial in a powerful editing suite/ software and extra storage. All in all pretty stoked with the editing potential for this in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN034_1MSfc

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: GOPRO Fusion and Kitesurfing Videos, The Future of POV?

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Can you get decent quick and dirty edits using the iphone or ipad app?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:21 pm

I don't think so. The Workflow is horrible. It takes ages to get the footage stitched and into an editing program and couple that with the fact that very few phones can run the Fusion App, it becomes pretty much useless. I am of the opinion that unless Go Pro can come up with a killer product soon, where the Hardware and software work together perfectly, they will be gone in a few years.

There are however some 360 cams where they managed to get good workflow, like the Nikon Keymission 360, so there is potential there.

--
Gunnar

bluepearlqatar
Rare Poster

Postby bluepearlqatar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm

The GOPRO Fusion fits into the semipro sort of category as the output is very clean with a high data rate, phone app with the camera is next to useless because of the data rate. I think this is a top quality product but is very niche and the guys that can get the most out of it will already have the hardware and software to deal with it (hardware & software think 4kUSD and up). The stitching of the footage is an overnight process which once you have your work flow dialled then is not so much of a headache and once the footage is rendered and you import into Adobe Premere this camera comes into its own and allows for shots you did not think were possible using Key Frames very easily.

The GOPRO Fusion however I would NOT put into the amateur category and you need to know what you are doing to get the most out of it otherwise I would go Rylo (water casing on this sucks thou). The Fusion camera is super durable but yet again the lenses need to be protected and without the casing can be scratched if not taken care of.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sgallian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Went with the Rylo... I prefered the form factor, and the insane stabilization (camera is in my hand, did not have a long pole...)[youtube]https://youtu.be/-NjQ-36seV0[/youtube].
Since I've purchased it, I understand that Insta360 went and copied the stabilization feature, so if you want something even cheaper, might be it (though not sure about their waterprrof case)
Big letdown with Rylo is the waterproof case, tend to stratch easily, hence the forsaken drops on the lenses...
Good/bad thing, everything is done on smartphone.

bluepearlqatar
Rare Poster

Postby bluepearlqatar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm

The GOPRO Fusion fits into the semipro sort of category as the output is very clean with a high data rate, phone app with the camera is next to useless because of the data rate. I think this is a top quality product but is very niche and the guys that can get the most out of it will already have the hardware and software to deal with it (hardware & software think 4kUSD and up). The stitching of the footage is an overnight process which once you have your work flow dialled then is not so much of a headache and once the footage is rendered and you import into Adobe Premere this camera comes into its own and allows for shots you did not think were possible using Key Frames very easily.

The GOPRO Fusion however I would NOT put into the amateur category and you need to know what you are doing to get the most out of it otherwise I would go Rylo (water casing on this sucks thou). The Fusion camera is super durable but yet again the lenses need to be protected and without the casing can be scratched if not taken care of.

The video posted was made of about 20 mins of footage.
Rendering of Footage was around 10 hours (Overnight).
Editing of Footage Grading and Exporting 2 hours.

Apart from the rendering of the footage where I was sleeping anyway the actual workflow with adobe premiere and a fast MacBook Pro was fairly straight forward. Its the Rendering which takes the time and because of this I would not put into the quick and dirty category at all.

Wish List would be 60 FPS at 5.2K, Only 30 currently.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 am

bluepearlqatar wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am
Been playing with the Go Pro Fusion for the last 2 months and the flexibility you get from this camera on a selfie stick whilst riding is amazing. It is not perfect by any means but gives a lot of creative flexibility when editing a piece. There are the headaches related to editing and the cost to get the most out of this camera is far above the cost of the camera itself once you dial in a powerful editing suite/ software and extra storage. All in all pretty stoked with the editing potential for this in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN034_1MSfc
Quite interesting edit!

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro Fusion and Kitesurfing Videos, The Future of POV?

Postby danidr » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm a bit tired of kitesurfing videos, most of them are the same.

Congrats, your's is the first interesting one in quite some time!! I really like it!

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:42 pm

It gives the sensation like a drone in your hand. If that makes sense. Nice kite too!

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:49 am

Shot some video with a RYLO 360 yesterday:

https://youtu.be/frFgoXXkRqE

It was a bit misty and low light. I like that you can film yourself or your buddy with the same mount. Just need a new string mount to get it so the mount is not in the way in the forward view

Here is some from earlier in the summer with better light, but still some stuff on the lens:

https://youtu.be/WlI2UnrMN58

Return to “Kitesurfing”