Forum for kitesurfers
Stuart15
Rare Poster
Gear: None at the moment
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Totall novice

Postby Stuart15 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am

Hi all I’ve never kite surfed before, but I’m a half decent park wake boarder,have you any advice where I could get some lessons please, I live in London,thanks stu

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Totall novice

Postby iriejohn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am

Stuart15 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am
Hi all I’ve never kite surfed before, but I’m a half decent park wake boarder,have you any advice where I could get some lessons please, I live in London,thanks stu
If you're in south London then 2XS on West Wittering beach. Beach and bookings: 01243 513077

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Stuart, thank you for asking for lessons and welcome to the sport. It is very addictive and versatile.

Your board skills will serve you well later, but as you have understood kite skills is what gets you going and doing it safely is critical....but you understand that so you are way ahead of the curve.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Kite, kite ,kite, it's all about the kite. Board skills may help a little but give you little advantage. Sailing and weather knowledge are far more beneficial IMO. Kiting is about learning the dance between the kite and the board(edging, resistance). It can be a little frustrating figuring it out at first , but once it clicks you will progress fast. Take the lesson, hangout at the local kite spot, ask questions, make friends and learn....good luck

Stuart15
Rare Poster
Gear: None at the moment
Been thanked: 0

Postby Stuart15 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for all your input

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Stuart15 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am
I live in London and you can get in touch with the London Kitesurfers on Facebook, Meetups, Telegram etc. 500 folks of varying skills. Good source of community and advice.

Depending on the wind, you’ll find most people frequent Camber Sands, Greatstone, Lancing, Shoreham and Worthing on Westerlies or Southerlies - Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Southend, Whitstable or Minnis Bay for other directions.

Further afield there’s Hunstanton, West Whittering, Hayling Island, Isle of W or Poole H.

Flat is Uncle Tom’s or Poole but wind can be.....

Nearest big sandy beach is Camber Sands IMO. Lots of space and friendly community. I learnt in Poole but if I was to recommend anyone now (even though Camber is not flat) then I’d recommend Ant at Camber Kitesurfing. Local legend and gent. Enjoy :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”