Forum for kitesurfers
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

How to fall correctly?

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm

In many sports - like skiing - instructor would teach you how to fall safely before you can actually ski.
Have not had anyone explaining this to me in relation to kitesurfing.

Question:
What is safest way to fall in kitesurfing?

I just mean riding along - lost balance/wave/gust/floating obstruction - boom...
From beginner's point of view mostly - not talking jumps here.

I fell may be 300 times so far and only had 1 bad one (board pulled hard on the legs, back got over stretched - had back pain for months)...
How do I avoid this kind of scenario for example (and other bad cases I probably haven't experienced so far too)..
As I improve I will be probably going faster etc ... There are jumps too.

I guess main thing is not to loop your kite at full power when you fall :)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: How to fall correctly?

Postby grigorib » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:19 pm

My general guidance is following
- don't let one foot in a strap while falling. Both or none.
- kick the board off your feet if going down fast from high and have no kite support
- power up to fall further downwind from a foil
- ride foil with hooks or strapless
- don't use board leash
- don't use boots
- wear impact/floatation vest
- wear a helmet maybe

I guess majority of mine are related to feet injuries
Last edited by grigorib on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Two hands in the middle of the bar, kite depowered somewhat. Focus on keeping your kite in the air. This helps keeping your orientation. This also helps not extending one of your arms towards the water, a natural though silly reaction. It opens up your ribs on one side for some unnecessary impact...

If you have time, make your body small.

Having two hands on the bar also lowers the risk of pulling an unwanted kiteloop, often resulting in a second, maybe bigger crash.

All part of the deal :-).

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:21 pm

The main thing is to sheet out on the bar or let go of it completely to depower the kite so that you don't get dragged.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:42 pm

If you _do_ ride with boots, an impact vest is recommended as your ribs take a pounding when you do a body-slam.
I used to wear a helmet but not anymore because it looks uncool. :lol: No the real reason I don't wear a helmet while kiting anymore is I don't go that fast and I think the cons outweigh the pros.
Lastly, if possible I generally try to steer the kite up which buys me a few more seconds after the fall to keep the kite in the air, which makes getting back on the board easier.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Keep your mouth closed

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I find trying not to get pulled over the front of the board is handy, I broke a fibia in a crash where the key elements were pulled over the front, one foot in strap and an accidental kiteloop. I tend to mainly crash jumping now and my "technique" is either ditch the board if high and scared, or land with board in front of me and feet / ass first.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:37 pm

As a mostly beginner
Kamikuza wrote:Keep your mouth closed
JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:21 pm
The main thing is to sheet out on the bar or let go of it completely to depower the kite so that you don't get dragged.
These two and relax, if it’s to late to do anything & it’s going to happen, let it. Don’t fight it and tighten up. :bye:
Last edited by knotwindy on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I did a trick DVD and also had a section called "how to crash" where I explain what to look out for when doing jumps and you are about to crash.

Import is that you crazy with the board at an angle to the water, so it slips away and you won't impact hard on the knees...so do always lift your legs.
Basically you crash a bit on the board and immediately after on the butt...

more info about the DVD here www.airstyle.tv
Has several sections of how tos...plus all the tricks.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm

In my case it's all about 2 priorities.
Do I want to keep my board on my feet at all costs, to avoid the hassle of bodydragging?
Do I want to keep the kite in the air at all costs, to avoid the hassle of restarting the kite from water?

The first one really depends, if the waves are very high I might lose my sight on the board very quickly and keep on bodydragging for a long while.
In that case I try to avoid losing my board, at the possible expense of getting hurt.

The second one, I'll always try to keep the kite in the air. But I'm not a beginner anymore, so the changes of the kite looping while I crash are very slim nowadays.

Return to “Kitesurfing”