Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Woo3 and Xensr compared

Forum for kitesurfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Woo3 and Xensr compared

Postby fluidity » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 am

I've suggested a likely cause of error before.
No degrees here, no top 20 android apps, no genius friends to advise on other's errors.
However, the woo chips have to work out an average water height level reference if they are going to record a jump height from lake/river/sea level. If the average water level reference is calculated by the chip manufacturer (who cares very little about woos and a whole lot more about selling gaming console sensors and airbag crash sensors) then that average height calculation is going to be averaged over a period of time regardless of whether some of it was in the air.
Then the woo software writers get all the high level maths tools to analyse the "facts"as reported by the factory chip maths coprocessor and the zero height references are distorted by the jump periods influencing the averages.
So the woo software writer is working with bad data and every jump looses height due to the woo thinking it's already higher at the moment it starts.
Clear to everybody? :D

wrogu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wrogu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 am

fluidity wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 am
I've suggested a likely cause of error before.
No degrees here, no top 20 android apps, no genius friends to advise on other's errors.
However, the woo chips have to work out an average water height level reference if they are going to record a jump height from lake/river/sea level. If the average water level reference is calculated by the chip manufacturer (who cares very little about woos and a whole lot more about selling gaming console sensors and airbag crash sensors) then that average height calculation is going to be averaged over a period of time regardless of whether some of it was in the air.
Then the woo software writers get all the high level maths tools to analyse the "facts"as reported by the factory chip maths coprocessor and the zero height references are distorted by the jump periods influencing the averages.
So the woo software writer is working with bad data and every jump looses height due to the woo thinking it's already higher at the moment it starts.
Clear to everybody? :D
No!

Wo bases on accelerometer, not some pressure sensor or other shit which needs water level reference. You dont need to know the water level.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm

deniska wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 am
I worked 20+ years in IT, codding for sparc, amd, x86, iphone, nokia, PSP.. you name it!
I had a game in app store that landed in top 20 list... PSP project that had a huge following..
And those were my spare time / hobby projects..
you are right.. what do I know? :-D
you wanna talk math? cool.. I have a degrees in math, physics and CIS... you? oh right.. your friends.. :roll:
nice bio but you are still wrong. oh hey look at how smart i think i am this should change the factual errors in my other post!!! hahahahaha
dude its ok to be wrong. it happens. it happens a lot with woo. does woo really stand for Wrong Observed Outcomes? :lol:

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Calirider/deniska, you both acting childish, please stop?!

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:20 am

People are missing the point.
- It's comparative fun with estimated heights....which are surprisingly accurate in our group experience.....many many woo's, all versions, 10's of thousands of boosts....and the top guys are always the top. The challengers are always the challengers and the low guys are usually the low. Its amazing technology and fun for what it is. It has made me a better kiter faster than I ever would have been without it. I love chasing the guys ahead of me...and I have to work damn hard to achieve my gains.
- Second point...its as much about the software and the social aspect. Without that, its dead. I've made lots of new and great new friends because of this aspect of it.
- Taking apart someone else's innovation and copying it.....nice. But good luck....its not about the electronics, its about the algorithms. Oh, then you are going to write the bluetooth integration, the phone apps etc and sell it all for less. An absolute failure that would be....and lots of money spent doing it. Woo, run by entrepreneurs who do nothing but focus on this one task in a niche market are lucky to be making it....and its only because of the focus and integration and business smarts. And with all of that goodness behind them...they still may not make it.
- Its basically an accelerometer and works based on time and change in direction and rate of change to calculate height. The same methods used in sensitive aircraft instrumentation....no sea level like someone claims, not pressure change, no GPS....none of these are as accurate as this method. Testing testing and trial and error and innovation got them here.
And FWIW, woo 3 is consistently lower for me back to back with 2.
Xenser failed because it tried to do too much, launched before it was ready and was unable to support those that bought it.

Its amazing how sadly negative people can get around something that is supposed to be 100% fun....the sport, the equipment and the accessories....for nothing but fun...and many many normal people see it as that.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:50 am

Wooow great comment Cwood! I think your comment is spot on! Nobody really ares about the exact hight (ofcourse would be a benefit) but as you said see your progression/compete against others thats what its all about! I think it is all quite comparable and all difference might be due to differences on location on the board and riding conditions but are neglacible! It’s great to work on your progress and it is really tough to go higher every time and you have to work hard! In the process WOO provides you the tools to see all of this and even compare to others! Lets stup wining and start riding and having fun!

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North

Postby COOP » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am

Well if you think it's fun and making you a better kiter, then good for you.
I myself over the years push myself to master tricks. So if I master the dark slide kiteloop, I then push to add a backroll in to it. If I master the front roll transition I then try to do a double front roll and so on and so on. If one of the crew starts to pull off an awesome new trick it then inspires me to push myself and master it. That for me is where the fun, adrenaline is and it brings me back to the water over the many years with more enthusiasm to go harder not a make believe gimmick!
I think you guys are missing out if you need this to improve or brag

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am

COOP wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am
I myself over the years push myself to master tricks. So if I master the dark slide kiteloop, I then push to add a backroll in to it. If I master the front roll transition I then try to do a double front roll and so on and so on. If one of the crew starts to pull off an awesome new trick it then inspires me to push myself and master it. That for me is where the fun, adrenaline is and it brings me back to the water over the many years with more enthusiasm to go harder not a make believe gimmick!
Exactly...
Jump higher its easier than perform tricks ..the Jump devices make this worst and now on my beachs only guys Jump ugly up and down..no more style no more nothing to Watch
When i finish my session i go home in the past i was Happy to stay and Watch tricks ...now so boring people..very sad

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am

kiterocky wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am
COOP wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am
Exactly...
Jump higher its easier than perform tricks ..the Jump devices make this worst and now on my beachs only guys Jump ugly up and down..no more style no more nothing to Watch
When i finish my session i go home in the past i was Happy to stay and Watch tricks ...now so boring people..very sad
Yes, I think you have a good point. Pushing yourself to jump better/higher stimulated by the whole WOO thing doesn't mean you can't also push yourself doing new tricks though. WOO has a freestyle mode but as well but it's pretty limited, basically made for unhooked tricks only, but still I'm always surprised to see how few people use it.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 am

Unless your spot is atypical I doubt this is the case. Jumping high is easier than doing tricks so inevitably you’ll only see a small proportion of riders doing fancy stuff. I see very few Woos attached to boards around the various places I kite so there’s no way they are changing the habits of most riders. Also they record rotations so surely a high woo score would occur with tricky stuff...?(don’t have one!)

Return to “Kitesurfing”