Quite quiver question, should I add a Core XR4/5 15m

Forum for kitesurfers
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Quite quiver question, should I add a Core XR4/5 15m

Postby bkkite » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:13 pm

I own a set of Core XR4s in the following sizes; 9m, 12m, 19m.

I'm wondering if I should fill it in with a 15m XR4/XR5.

Pros of adding a 15:
- my wife is learning to ride, and she's 40lbs lighter than me, so we could share our quiver (I'd be on the 19 when she is on the 15m)
- maybe I can get by riding the 15m is most conditions and get rid of the 19m?
- there are some situations where the wind is probably a little light for the 12 and a 15 might be a better fit?
- maybe the 15m is smaller to travel with?

Cons
- expensive
- takes up more space (I live in a fairly small apartment)
- might be unnecessary

My typical conditions:
- I use the 19m for most of the summer ( May, June / July / Aug)
- I use the 9m 2-3 days in the Spring, and 4-5 days in the fall,
- the 12m gets used consistently throughout the year

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Quite quiver question, should I add a Core XR4/5 15m

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Yup. Do it for your wife's sake if she's really getting into the sport. I'm on the same sizes as you for the XR5 and if I could go back and do it over I would switch out my 6 (which mostly collects dust) for a 15. The 9 can handle so much punishment and the jump from 12 to 19 is fine for me. But the 15 plugs the gap nicely and gives you both flexibility and I think you will like it too. But if you want to get rid of the 19 and have one LW size go for the 17. Or see if you get lucky with a used 15 XR4. The improvements from XR4 to 5 are noticeable but not dramatic.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm
Yup. Do it for your wife's sake if she's really getting into the sport. I'm on the same sizes as you for the XR5 and if I could go back and do it over I would switch out my 6 (which mostly collects dust) for a 15. The 9 can handle so much punishment and the jump from 12 to 19 is fine for me. But the 15 plugs the gap nicely and gives you both flexibility and I think you will like it too. But if you want to get rid of the 19 and have one LW size go for the 17. Or see if you get lucky with a used 15 XR4. The improvements from XR4 to 5 are noticeable but not dramatic.
Thanks, that helps. I guess I'm just wondering if I'm buying more than I need, and if I should just suck it up and make do with the current line up. The clear thing that pushes me in favor is once my wife gets past the point of taking lessons (she's water starting and getting rides that are a couple 100 ft, so getting close)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 pm

If the question is either
Do I need another board? or
Do I need another kite?

The answer is pretty much always yes. Those are not really questions if you already know the answer.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 am

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 pm
If the question is either
Do I need another board? or
Do I need another kite?

The answer is pretty much always yes. Those are not really questions if you already know the answer.
Damn you!!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knotwindy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:42 am

You’re welcome. 😆

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:20 am

bkkite wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 pm
SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm
Thanks, that helps. I guess I'm just wondering if I'm buying more than I need, and if I should just suck it up and make do with the current line up. The clear thing that pushes me in favor is once my wife gets past the point of taking lessons (she's water starting and getting rides that are a couple 100 ft, so getting close)
Yeah, like the other guy said, sounds like you’re there already. Hehe.

For the two of you I think 4 kites is necessary if you want to both kite those summer months when you’re mostly on the 19. It’s the same for me here in Denmark. The 19 gives me at least 15-20 sessions more than those who don’t care for LW kites. That’s a big deal for me. She’ll benefit a lot from LW kiting as I’m sure you already know and a 15 (used or new) is a great way to progress fast and in low risk conditions.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 am

Lol. My wife and I had 12 kites between us and 7 boards but that was stupid. Now down to 7 kites and 4 boards. It would be less but I also foil kite / board.

Just packing our gear tonight for a kiting holiday and we are taking 4 kites and 2 boards which is a good indicator of what we truly need 8, 10, 12 and 15m.

But over to you, I would buy the 15m and a light wind board if necessary and get rid of the 19m. 17-19m kites are so boring.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Are any of you sharing a quiver? How does that typically work out?

Given theres a 40lb weight difference, my wife would always be down a kite size I think.

I think the comment on riding the 15m rather than the 19m is interesting. I won't know till I ride them and understand if I can do away with the 19m. I have a north nugget 5'2 surf board, and I've been riding that on the 19m in light wind days... so it'll be interesting to see if I can pull it off on a 15m

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knotwindy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:56 pm

bkkite wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm
Are any of you sharing a quiver? How does that typically work out?

Given theres a 40lb weight difference, my wife would always be down a kite size I think.
Not necessarily. If she wants to ride a tt powered and you want a strapless surf slightly underpowered for waves, might be same kite size. Happens more than you think. Also, if one of you is already out and the other is getting ready, do you really want to come in all the time to figure out who gets which kite? Some launches it’s easy, others it’s a PITA to do regularly. I know you want to keep the stock and price down but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend to have more fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”