Forum for kitesurfers
apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Fuerteventura in Oct

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Going to Flag Beach for a week in October half-term for family hols/treat. Hoping to kite a bit. Windguru archive seems to suggest 50% chance that time of year, potentially 2 or 3 days out of the week.

Can’t foil yet so will be taking my trusty TT CF Cruiser Pro and 14m and 17m. Is it worth taking the 11m?

Any recommendations, experience or local advice to share?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Fuerteventura in Oct

Postby gmb13 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am

It is pretty much impossible to say what wind we will get here in October. We have had Octobers where is has been windy pretty much all the time and we also have had Octobers where it has only been possible to kite with a normal board about 5 days. Bring all the kites you can fit in your bag.

Another Word of advice. Windguru is pretty much useless for the North of the island because of the Microclimates we have here, especially regarding statistics as they only take the low resolution forecasts into account as we have no reliable weather stations here.

When you are here the most reliable forecast is the spanish national weather service site http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... oo&opc3=vi

This is about 90% accurate.

And if the wind is light, come and talk to me about learning to foil :-)

--
Gunnar

apollo4000
Frequent Poster

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am
It is pretty much impossible to say what wind we will get here in October. We have had Octobers where is has been windy pretty much all the time and we also have had Octobers where it has only been possible to kite with a normal board about 5 days. Bring all the kites you can fit in your bag.

Another Word of advice. Windguru is pretty much useless for the North of the island because of the Microclimates we have here, especially regarding statistics as they only take the low resolution forecasts into account as we have no reliable weather stations here.

When you are here the most reliable forecast is the spanish national weather service site http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/predicc ... oo&opc3=vi

This is about 90% accurate.

And if the wind is light, come and talk to me about learning to foil :-)

--
Gunnar
Will do - will ping you a pm as I’d like to learn

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SLiiCK » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:18 am

As gmb said take as many kites as you can if your limited to 2 I would take the the 11 and 17 gives you a better wind range I’ve been kiting there nearly every year for the past 18 years in January as you don’t rely on then on trade winds then its all down to the weather systems not sure if October is the same but I usually take a 10m and a 17m a light wind board, surfboard and usuall tt I do have a foil but it would put me over the weight limit but you do have the opportunity above to learn. Have a good time!
Steve

apollo4000
Frequent Poster

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:08 am

SLiiCK wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:18 am
As gmb said take as many kites as you can if your limited to 2 I would take the the 11 and 17 gives you a better wind range I’ve been kiting there nearly every year for the past 18 years in January as you don’t rely on then on trade winds then its all down to the weather systems not sure if October is the same but I usually take a 10m and a 17m a light wind board, surfboard and usuall tt I do have a foil but it would put me over the weight limit but you do have the opportunity above to learn. Have a good time!
Steve
Thanks mate - great tips. Will take 10m, 14m and 17m to be safe.

Return to “Kitesurfing”