AlexL
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Board size advice

Postby AlexL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a little more than a beginner, 82kg, and would like to get a buy a 2016 Shinn Bronq 135 X 41 but I'm not sure if it's the right size for me.

Is it to small for my weight, should I look for a 42 wide board? How many knots does an intermediate rider needs to ride the 41 board with a Swichblade 12m kite?

Shinn website, I fit both sizes:
135 x 41 <85 kg
136 x 42 80 to 100 k

I have a larger Shinn King Gee 146 and I'm covered for lighter winds.

thanks in advance,
Alex

Paul982
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Goring, Lancing, south east uk
Style: face plants galore
Gear: switchblade 7, 10
crazyfly sculp 12
raptor pro
Has thanked: 0

Re: Board size advice

Postby Paul982 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:50 pm

My wetsuit weighs about 5-10kg when wet. So I'd go for the 136. Also I ride a 12m on a 140cm raptor pro from 18 to 28 knots. Hope that helps :D

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby Rob_85 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Go for the bigger board. When starting everyone thinks a small board is the bollocks, but in reality has little advantage (in the ranges you’re considering). If you ever plan on using boots on your TT you’ll want it a little bigger than with straps. Several (most?) freestyle pros use boards in the 140 range with boots when weighing less than 80kg. When learning, the extra surface area, especially extra width, will help carry you through lulls or when you make a mistake and lose power in the kite.

I’m 86kg and ride a 138x42 axis diversion. Was recently on a clinic with a pro rider and he thought that was on the small size. He’s about 75kg and rides a 142x42 which doesn’t hold him back in freestyle rotations.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Rob_85 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm
Go for the bigger board. When starting everyone thinks a small board is the bollocks, but in reality has little advantage (in the ranges you’re considering). If you ever plan on using boots on your TT you’ll want it a little bigger than with straps. Several (most?) freestyle pros use boards in the 140 range with boots when weighing less than 80kg. When learning, the extra surface area, especially extra width, will help carry you through lulls or when you make a mistake and lose power in the kite.

I’m 86kg and ride a 138x42 axis diversion. Was recently on a clinic with a pro rider and he thought that was on the small size. He’s about 75kg and rides a 142x42 which doesn’t hold him back in freestyle rotations.
Some beginner if he's into freestyle rotations! ;-)

But yes, better to go for 42 wide board.

Frozenfox
Rare Poster
Gear: Nkb

Postby Frozenfox » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 am

Apologies for jumping in on your post, but can somebody explain the advantages of a smaller board when weighing 75-80kg, Thanks

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby Rob_85 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Lighter, will be faster for rotations etc. Can often hold down more power on a smaller board if overpowered. A really big board can be more challenging in choppy conditions.

I’m my opinion, especially if you’re a beginner/intermediate (if a higher level you’ll know what works for you), there are more disadvantages on being on a board that is too small than too large. For example, bigger board is better upwind, has better planing so more forgiving if you make a mistake and lose power in the the kite, learning new things (e.g. transitions, riding toeside), or simply lulls in the wind. When jumping I find a slightly larger board is also more forgiving and you’re less likely to catch an edge (goes for other tricks/manoeuvres) and gives a softer landing.

A lot will depend on local conditions, how powered up you ride, water conditions etc.

If in doubt between two sizes, go bigger.

Frozenfox
Rare Poster
Gear: Nkb

Postby Frozenfox » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Rob_85 appreciate it, thanks for the explanation

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 am

Fully agree with Rob.

Too small severely restricts you (as a beginner). Too big isn't really that much of a problem (at least not for a beginner).

I don't really know why, but as Rob mentioned earlier smaller is for some reason seen as better. Even among kiters that are taking their first lessons I have heard people requesting smaller boards. It is like it is innate in humans to want small boards.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 am

When I was first starting I didn't want to go for a big board, for some reason I thought I would grow out of it quickly....what actually happened was it took me a year of struggling before finally admitting I needed a bigger board, first session out on it I was riding comfortably upwind. Previously I'd only managed a few downwind runs.

I would definitely go for the bigger board, more buoyancy is more forgiving when your kite skills are building, you don't immediately sink before you've figured out what you need to do.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:10 pm

For your reference, i have exactly this board and size that you mentioned: 135x41, but my weight varies between 65 and 67kg. The board seems perfect for me when powered, i use it with a 8m. For lighter days i use a 141x40 slingshot vision, with a 12m. Both with pads, no boots.
By the way, the Bronq is awesome! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”