Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Floatation/impact vest

Postby Mike101 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm

A lot depends on wind conditions at my local spot. If it's pure onshore I don't use the vest as I don't have to go far out to tack back. If it's cross shore I will wear the vest. If it's in between I will make the call but I have been caught out. I always wear the vest when sea temps are really cold.

kiterkay
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hurghada Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: Element Watersports El Gouna
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One Bandit
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiterkay » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm
So I'm not sure if it's because of where I kite and other spots aren't like my hometown but I've never kited further out to sea than I can comfortably swim back in, are people generally kiting way out further than a swim is possible? Or am I just very floaty?!
I'm sure you've got the right approach and we probably shouldn't kite further than we can swim in but, yeah, I do. I don't eat 5 fruit and veg every day either :D :o

My plea in mitigation is that I don't do it alone, and/or it's in view of the rescue boat so if I got in trouble it would be visible...but immediate pick up might not be possible. Pretty sure I could float/swim for a good while but depending on the tide and wind, would it be long enough? Dunno. Hence the consideration of vests.

Also, when I got dragged underwater by a defiant kite and wind combo, I was within my own depth. Maybe a floatation vest wouldn't have kept me on the surface given the power dragging me under, but maybe it would. I'm not an advanced kiter so I'm not embarrassed to be the one of the rare people on the beach wearing one. Well, I won't be if it looks good :D :D

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

kiterkay wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm
I'm sure you've got the right approach and we probably shouldn't kite further than we can swim in but, yeah, I do. I don't eat 5 fruit and veg every day either :D :o

My plea in mitigation is that I don't do it alone, and/or it's in view of the rescue boat so if I got in trouble it would be visible...but immediate pick up might not be possible. Pretty sure I could float/swim for a good while but depending on the tide and wind, would it be long enough? Dunno. Hence the consideration of vests.

Also, when I got dragged underwater by a defiant kite and wind combo, I was within my own depth. Maybe a floatation vest wouldn't have kept me on the surface given the power dragging me under, but maybe it would. I'm not an advanced kiter so I'm not embarrassed to be the one of the rare people on the beach wearing one. Well, I won't be if it looks good :D :D
Ha ha, I'm not judging...one of the main reasons I do what I do is I regularly kite on my own with no one around....which is a no no too. Maybe if there was people around, rescue available etc I would go further out and then it would become more of a consideration. I'm chubby too so I'm floaty and warm :lol:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:36 pm

kiterkay wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm
I'm not an advanced kiter....... :D :D
Flotation has nothing to do with kiting skills. Flotation has to do with the situation in which you suddenly find yourself out in the ocean with nothing floaty to hang onto. Kites can fail and become luggage or be released beyond your reach of a sprint swim. Twin-tips are luggage too. Surfboards can get away from you almost as easily as a kite.

Don't put your life in the hands of the kite/bar/release/lines and your skill with them. Know how far you can swim, keep up your swimming skills by swimming a few times a year, and wear safe flotation for your environment - but don't rely on that alone. And never rely on others as your only means of rescue.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 pm

I have the ION one, plus a whistle and knife just in case. The zip broke which annoyed me but superglue fixed it. Now I can’t get the damn thing off...boom boom. 😂

kiterkay
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hurghada Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: Element Watersports El Gouna
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One Bandit

Postby kiterkay » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Spoke to helpful guy at Robin Hood Watersports (UK) who's checked with the manufacturers and there's nothing with 50N floatiness (the CE mark standard) that's 'underfit' at the moment - ie goes under the harness. He says the kit for next year is being released in the next few weeks so maybe something will emerge.

I tried the ION one in Tarifa this week...horrible fit but it's standard issue becuase the beach shelves steeply into waves so you're out of your depth within a few metres. Had to pull it down over the harness but there's nowhere for the hook so you can't pull it down far enough, and my armpits were at the bottom of the holes, with the shoulders sitting around my ears. Kinda got used to its bulkiness but still wouldn't buy one.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 pm

kiterkay wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 pm
Spoke to helpful guy at Robin Hood Watersports (UK) who's checked with the manufacturers and there's nothing with 50N floatiness (the CE mark standard) that's 'underfit' at the moment - ie goes under the harness.
Since you're looking within the UK market, I'd recommend checking out Mystic's Block vest (if it fits you).
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... lor_2b6080

It's not CE rated, but I'd bet it's equal to, or more than a CE50 rated vest (50 newtons/11.2lbs) of flotation. It's also an "underfit" design. The next closest would be LF's Supreme or DaKine's Surface vest which are both available internationally FWIK.

In the US, ProMotion out of The Gorge (Oregon) that makes my most favorite floatation vest. The Kite Vest has 12-13lbs of floatation (CE50 = 11.2lbs), so it's plenty of float (especially with a wetsuit). My favorite feature is the adjustable waist section. It can adjust to fit comfortably snug under a harness regardless if it's against bare skin or a 5mm wetsuit. I also like the back pocket for holding an emergency ID, car key, energy bar, etc.
http://www.wetsuit.com/2New_Buoyancy_an ... Vests.html

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 pm

kiterkay wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 pm
Spoke to helpful guy at Robin Hood Watersports (UK) who's checked with the manufacturers and there's nothing with 50N floatiness (the CE mark standard) that's 'underfit' at the moment - ie goes under the harness. He says the kit for next year is being released in the next few weeks so maybe something will emerge.

I tried the ION one in Tarifa this week...horrible fit but it's standard issue becuase the beach shelves steeply into waves so you're out of your depth within a few metres. Had to pull it down over the harness but there's nowhere for the hook so you can't pull it down far enough, and my armpits were at the bottom of the holes, with the shoulders sitting around my ears. Kinda got used to its bulkiness but still wouldn't buy one.
This is the ION one I use...(no affiliation with the website, was just the first one I found). You pull it down over the spreader bar hook to stop it riding up. Nice and bright for vis as well. Doesn’t go under the harness so if that’s what you’re after it’s not for you.

https://www.windkitesurfsup.com/product ... ter-x-vest

Return to “Kitesurfing”