Switch Helium 3

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Switch Helium 3

Postby alford » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Has anyone tried the Helium 3 in bigger sizes like 16m or 18m?

_Jakobie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North shores, Denmark
Gear: Switch gear. 9+12M Nitro6, 9+12m Element6, 16m Helium3, Brunotti Youri Zoon 140x43 2017, SP straps.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Helium 3

Postby _Jakobie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 pm

In got the H3 in 16m to use on my 140x43 brunotti youri zoon 2017 TT.. From around 10kn with weight 95kg.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 am

And? Oh that's right, you're a sponsered rider.
Anyone with an actual no-strings-attached review? (no pun intended)

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 am

I have a 16m H3 and can only comment on 1 session so far. Had marginal wind to launch(8mph) and am learning to foil. Once up on the board it quickly brought me up on the foil. With apparent wind generated it gave a nice increasing pull which allowed me to park it and ride. In other words it gave me a great session! The bar pressure was medium to light. Turning I can’t comment on as I’m still “butt jibing” but it gave a strong rapid loop to start. I’ve had many (too many)large kites in my 9 yrs of kiting. This is the best so far understanding its based on one session and I may be bias as I want to think I made the right choice

Brody
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pinnaroo
Favorite Beaches: Cabaret, Cocos, WA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Switch, Underground, NP

Postby Brody » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:48 am

Haven't been on this forum for ages but when I saw the Helium 3 post it conjured up very pleasant memories of our recent trip to Cocos Keeling islands where I had my first ride on the 18m Helium 3. Only had a 2-3 hour session on the kite and its the first 18m kite I've owned in more than 10 years since owning a 18m Naish X2. I used to fly Naish, Best and then tried the Switch Nitro3 about 4 seasons ago. I've been flying the Nitro 3 12m and 8m the past few years, recently bought a used 10m Nitro 5 and also bought the 18M Helium 3 out of the box to ensure that I could kite each day at Cocos should the wind drop below 15knts. (only did that 1 morning out of the 7 days)

I'm not really into low wind kiting but I was not going to visit a kitesurfing paradise and sit on the beach. The dominant kite at Cocos would be North and average size 9-12m2

Anyway, the Helium material feels a lot thinner than the Nitros, it does not have all the scuff protection of the Nitros and pack up almost the same size as the 10m Nitro 5. Still broke my back to pump-up the bloody thing. Same single pump system as the Nitros and yet to see how long it will last. Both my 8 and 12 Nitro 3s developed a leak in a strut where the strut delaminated at the bladder connection after 4 seasons. One of the 12m bridle attachments where its sewn into the main bladder has become very frayed as well but besides that the kites so far have given me no issues. The kites are still better than me and a different kite is not going to make me a better rider anyway...its mostly in my mind (mental block) to try new stuff and crash and burn...and not the kite.

Only had a morning session in 15-18 knots and had the kite 50% depowered on the bar, me, after a hearty breakfast coming in at 102 KG and on a 140X40 BOARD...still pulled like a truck. Impressions that came to mind as I launched and started kiting were thoughts like solid, light, spongy...and it flies fairly different from the Nitros. Bar pressure was really light, surprisingly so when only using a 45cm bar. The kite just sat in the window and the canopy was totally solid. Nice floaty jumps...especially in time between take off and landing, spotting me at least 1 additional second to do what I have to do. Did a few kiteloops and she turned quick enough for such a big kite.

Reckon if the kite is fully powered I should get away with 12kts, anything less and i'll rather go surfing anyway.

Honestly enjoyed the kite and stoked that I did not waste my money. It ticks all the boxes in what I look for in a kite...Medium Bar pressure, responsive, no flapping, must not be jerky in gusts, must provide float when jumping and sit fairly up in the window

Below our Cocos trip, the Helium is close to the end.
https://youtu.be/ESve1a5tCAc

_Jakobie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North shores, Denmark
Gear: Switch gear. 9+12M Nitro6, 9+12m Element6, 16m Helium3, Brunotti Youri Zoon 140x43 2017, SP straps.

Postby _Jakobie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm

alford wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 am
And? Oh that's right, you're a sponsered rider.
Anyone with an actual no-strings-attached review? (no pun intended)
Relax... :cry:
You can always go to the review tab at the Helium site..

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 pm

alford wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 pm
Has anyone tried the Helium 3 in bigger sizes like 16m or 18m?
I haven't tried the bigger ones but it looks as if you can do freestyle on them: https://www.facebook.com/SwitchKites/vi ... 545877573/

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:13 am

I just got my Switch Helium V3 16m last week and rode it for the first time tonight on the race hydrofoil(580sq cm front wing) in 8-11mph wind. I'm 210lbs and my hydro doesn't get going until you have forward speed, period. Once up it's game on thou! A few experienced hydro guys even have trouble with my foil. I'm also coming from a 17m Contra that is flying really poorly. I also have a 16m NRG which is just terrible in the low end so I don't hydro with it often. It is such a higher aspect kite it stalls immediately after the first downstroke.

Noticeable kite things....weight vs the 17m Contra seems about the same...close enough I'm not even going to measure it. And the kite floated just fine in the light winds. Weight and float in those light winds is not an issue. The middle strut seems like it may be a much smaller in diameter. The leading edge is smaller in diameter. I always thought the Contra's diameter on the LE was a little too large.

The wind was dead onshore and that makes for a bitch of a time getting off the beach because you basically are paddling with your feet hard enough to exhaust yourself to keep the kite up. I did not have to once loop the kite to keep it alive although once I though I should have and I risked it and it still found wind and rose upwards, whew. I got about 60-80m off the beach and FULLY expected to fail getting going, but holy fkin shit the 16m is much faster than my old 17m Contra. What I need when foiling is I need my 1st downstroke to get me upright and then I need a powerful upstroke to keep me up and tension the lines and the 2nd downstroke is critical. This kite seriously did exactly what I am looking for, it got me upright enough where I could swing the kite all the way to the other side of the window and it happened so fast I was not under the kite and the center lines were tight where my next downstroke yanked me nicely and I was foiling lit up immediately in 10 mph. Stoked!

Bar pressure may be about the same, I cannot pin point why the bar pressure feels different than the contra but it feels different, but not heavier or lighter. weird

Jumping...I love to boost on the hydro...even though it was light I can get going 22mph in those winds on the hydro and can get decent air. I think the Contra is a little larger jumper and floatier, but not sure yet. That's just my first assumption.

Upwind...much better on the Switch kite. I rode some nice angles and she didn't wan't to stall out nor did she even have the hint of stalling out when I was waterstarting which is what my concern was. My NRG is almost unfoilable in light winds because the kite is so slow and stally in those winds and water starting angles you have to put the kite in.

I'm really happy with this kite...I bought a cheap Pansh 15m Apollo 2 foil kite and that thing is just too slow to foil in 10mph winds. It pulls me out of the water then takes 3 full seconds to get the kite back up...I dislike that kite...except I love boosting on it with a TT in 18knots lmfao, fking huge air.

The bad....I think the kite has enough of a lean to the left that I'm going to have to send it back. My right shoulder is sore from holding her up going left foot forward. I'm going to ride it again in a little better wind and then I'm also going to flip my bar lines and attach them all in reverse so as to make damn sure it is not my bar and is the kite. I could clearly tell the kite wanted to dive into the water tacking left foot forward. I also did some nice jumps and 2 times when I jumped going right foot forward the fkin kite was way behind me after the send and dangerously so. Without experience it could have hurt, but I redirected hard as f*** and the kite was fast enough to save me. I checked all my bar lines 5 days ago, they are dead nuts perfect. Anyway...I'll report back, but she is a sweet riding kite for light wind foiling and I am stoked about her, but I think she may be a bit defective.

Overall, if you need a foiling kite for that wicked low end, this kite is killer...I will responds back to some TT riding with it and downloops and such. I'm a fan.
These users thanked the author lovethepirk for the post:
Delta99 (Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello guys,
Yesterday it was my first run on my 7m helium3.
flown in 45 cms bar, 27 meter lines
wind range at 17 to 22 knots.
road it with a nobile 134 x 42tt.
im 75kg with all gear, and intermediate kiter kitting since 2006.
first impressions:
Let me start by saying that windcharts are totally misleading.
started kitting and had to depower it half way.
Rigged the kite for the bottom setting in briddles and faster turn.
this kite builds power. dont be fooled by the small size i was wipping it around and the kite is fast generating lots of speed.it climbes well when underpowered and drifts exceptionally.
it shines in following the rider when lines go slack or when dropping angle downwind. hard to make this kite hindemburg.
ood upwind i was able to keep up in speed angle with all the 9m guys ridding.
i was the only one riding a 7m.
turn radius is tight and down loops were super controled ... meaning continuous power thru the loop. quite nice feeling. did some backrolls with kiteloops and the power was spot on to complete the trick solid pull.
relaunch its easy and extrelly fast. so its super begginer friendly.
this kite jumps very well and the description on website does not represent it.no ta bigair kite but a good jumper!
Made some really nice jumping. it wont rip u like the nytro but it has a good pull upwards.
Glide is not its forte in the 7m but if well directed it will land you softly.
kite has some canopy flutter when turning softlly when underpowered (arm fully exteded).
wind started to decrease to 15 to 19 knots and i was able to continue riding with 9 meter guys but in the 15 knot range was underpowered and kite started to backstall and struggled to keep ground.
to sum it up session was really nice and kite looks and feels solid.
looking forward for another session and trying it with the hydrofoil and on the sea.

overall Happy customer ,really nice kite! props to switch for awesome affordable gear.
core xr5 and north rebel dudes laughed when i rigged it. some notted and said it was the wrong kite wrong size.
after the session everyone was checking it out!
this alone made my day!!!
Prejudice is a beeaaaatch !!
good winds to everyone!!!
These users thanked the author windfreak74 for the post:
Delta99 (Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 am

lovethepirk wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:13 am
I just got my Switch Helium V3 16m last week and rode it for the first time tonight on the race hydrofoil(580sq cm front wing) in 8-11mph wind. I'm 210lbs and my hydro doesn't get going until you have forward speed, period. Once up it's game on thou! A few experienced hydro guys even have trouble with my foil. I'm also coming from a 17m Contra that is flying really poorly. I also have a 16m NRG which is just terrible in the low end so I don't hydro with it often. It is such a higher aspect kite it stalls immediately after the first downstroke.

Noticeable kite things....weight vs the 17m Contra seems about the same...close enough I'm not even going to measure it. And the kite floated just fine in the light winds. Weight and float in those light winds is not an issue. The middle strut seems like it may be a much smaller in diameter. The leading edge is smaller in diameter. I always thought the Contra's diameter on the LE was a little too large.

The wind was dead onshore and that makes for a bitch of a time getting off the beach because you basically are paddling with your feet hard enough to exhaust yourself to keep the kite up. I did not have to once loop the kite to keep it alive although once I though I should have and I risked it and it still found wind and rose upwards, whew. I got about 60-80m off the beach and FULLY expected to fail getting going, but holy fkin shit the 16m is much faster than my old 17m Contra. What I need when foiling is I need my 1st downstroke to get me upright and then I need a powerful upstroke to keep me up and tension the lines and the 2nd downstroke is critical. This kite seriously did exactly what I am looking for, it got me upright enough where I could swing the kite all the way to the other side of the window and it happened so fast I was not under the kite and the center lines were tight where my next downstroke yanked me nicely and I was foiling lit up immediately in 10 mph. Stoked!

Bar pressure may be about the same, I cannot pin point why the bar pressure feels different than the contra but it feels different, but not heavier or lighter. weird

Jumping...I love to boost on the hydro...even though it was light I can get going 22mph in those winds on the hydro and can get decent air. I think the Contra is a little larger jumper and floatier, but not sure yet. That's just my first assumption.

Upwind...much better on the Switch kite. I rode some nice angles and she didn't wan't to stall out nor did she even have the hint of stalling out when I was waterstarting which is what my concern was. My NRG is almost unfoilable in light winds because the kite is so slow and stally in those winds and water starting angles you have to put the kite in.

I'm really happy with this kite...I bought a cheap Pansh 15m Apollo 2 foil kite and that thing is just too slow to foil in 10mph winds. It pulls me out of the water then takes 3 full seconds to get the kite back up...I dislike that kite...except I love boosting on it with a TT in 18knots lmfao, fking huge air.

The bad....I think the kite has enough of a lean to the left that I'm going to have to send it back. My right shoulder is sore from holding her up going left foot forward. I'm going to ride it again in a little better wind and then I'm also going to flip my bar lines and attach them all in reverse so as to make damn sure it is not my bar and is the kite. I could clearly tell the kite wanted to dive into the water tacking left foot forward. I also did some nice jumps and 2 times when I jumped going right foot forward the fkin kite was way behind me after the send and dangerously so. Without experience it could have hurt, but I redirected hard as f*** and the kite was fast enough to save me. I checked all my bar lines 5 days ago, they are dead nuts perfect. Anyway...I'll report back, but she is a sweet riding kite for light wind foiling and I am stoked about her, but I think she may be a bit defective.

Overall, if you need a foiling kite for that wicked low end, this kite is killer...I will responds back to some TT riding with it and downloops and such. I'm a fan.
Great review, any updates on this lovethepirk? Did you solve the lean issue, how about TT riding? Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”