Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wind range and gusts - beginner question

Postby Flyboy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:47 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:04 am
Another beginner question:

If I have a kite rated say 15-24 knots for my size and weight and conditions on the day are mostly 15 most of the time but with gusts up to 29 at times - should I

1.go to smaller kite and possibly struggle at 15?

2.Depower and wait out the gusts with current kite as 15 is it is really lightest possible wind I can ride?

3.Go home as it is too gusty/dangerous?
I am a beginner who only went solo a few times so far with total of 10 days kitesurfing :-)
Thanks!
As a beginner you shouldn't go out if it's really as gusty as that. It's not likely to be very enjoyable & with the bigger kite you risk getting into trouble. The major risk in kiting, even for an experienced kiter, is unstable weather. If it's 15 gusting to 29 you might be able to survive the gusts, but should it pick up a few knots you could very rapidly be in serious trouble.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:17 pm

You need a kite that you can handle the biggest gust of the day. As a beginner you can't handle a 10m in 29 knots. So don't go out!!!!!!!

These are the types of conditions that kill people. Wait for cleaner wind. 25knot max for a 10m. In a year or 2 you might have enough skill to weather a 15 knot swing Gusty day.

Other techniques to use are smaller kite, bigger board combo. The big board stays upwind during the lulls better and the small kite handles the gusty wind better. It's a safer combo to have fun on.

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:32 pm

I had similar doubts not that long ago and can relate to your concern.

You may want to invest in a board which will allow you to plane and stay upwind with your smaller kite until you learn more about kite behavior at the limit. It is not a good idea to take the risk and no fun either.

Lateron with more experience you will be able to handle your bigger kite I am sure.

At my home spot we have two windmeters about 1km apart that measure wind at short intervals and provide the history in internet. A luxury. This allowed me to determine that for my kites, ability, and board the usable wind range is 15 knots from extreme to extreme and wider than the brand actually has on their web site (I would be surprised if it was much different for others).

Once I had an incident with a thunderstorm squall when riding my 11m (usable range for me 11 to 26 knots) with violent 40+ knots (max 43 knots) which lasted about 20 minutes but it felt like an eternity. Evidently I was not able to ride in these conditions but by pulling the trim line 100% and putting the kite down on the water to the window edge and delaying as much as possible the drifting towards the shore while screaming and signalling for for help showed me that there is some safety margin if you know what to do. It is important not to use up this safety margin.

Return to “Kitesurfing”