zedzed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rhodes Island -
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby zedzed » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:30 pm

We are mid 40s experienced kitesurfer looking for a good spot in Cuba for kite in Nov ? any recommendations?
Spot with good facilities, night life and if there are waves as well - perfect :-)

Any information will be highly appreciated :thumb:

Tnx

AlexL
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cuba in Nov-Dec

Postby AlexL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi

I've been to Pullman Cayo Coco hotel in March, there is a kite school on site with friendly instructors and new equipment, the owner is Cuban-Canadian. The school offers a downwinder to Cayo Guillermo supported by boat and with lobster lunch included.
There are great conditions for beginners with shallow water, there were around 10 kites on that side of Caco Coco.

The hotel is one of the best/newest in Cayo Coco, not sure about the night live (I traveled my two year old daughter :) ). They have daily evening shows for entertainment.

I believe another popular destination is Cayo Guillermo.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:36 am

Cuba has excellent kiteboarding conditions... if it’s windy. Very hit and miss especially in the fall. I’ve been over a dozen times and will go back especially now that my wife and I foil. But seriously I was there for 2 weeks over Christmas this past year... we foiled everyday but were only able to go on our twin tips twice. It has however been windy there for the last 3 months... strongest consistent winds I’ve seen there in 10 years... Oh and there is no night life...hotel entertainment is the best your going to get..

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 am

Santa Lucia fits all your criteria
Wave break 1 km off shore. Large bay. sandy bottom. deep enough to Foil

The last 2 weeks of Nov would be better.
I bring Surfboard and Foilboard (8, 12, 14 m kites)

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Heading to CG in November, have a few questions regarding money. From what I understand I can exchange Canadian to CUC' s at the airport, both coming and
going? I also read that I should be tipping in CUC? Do they take Mastercard or Visa anywhere? I'm guessing they don't have many ATM's as well?!
I want to make sure my info in current. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Cheers, Bob

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:24 pm

justbob wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:13 pm
Heading to CG in November, have a few questions regarding money. From what I understand I can exchange Canadian to CUC' s at the airport, both coming and
going? I also read that I should be tipping in CUC? Do they take Mastercard or Visa anywhere? I'm guessing they don't have many ATM's as well?!
I want to make sure my info in current. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Cheers, Bob
Yah Bob bring the cash you need on CG there is only one bank and the hours are short and they often don't open when they are suppose to. Typically a line up as well. There are no ATMs possibly anywhere in Cuba... I've never seen one even in Havana
Yes Tip with CUC, exchange what you need at the airport and you can exchange more at the hotel lobby desk if needed. Bring your 14m
What hotel are you staying at?
Hit me up on the beach next time you are out. I will gladly answer any questions you have.
Pete

justbob
Medium Poster
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster

Postby justbob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:24 pm
justbob wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:13 pm
Cheers, Bob
Yah Bob bring the cash you need on CG there is only one bank and the hours are short and they often don't open when they are suppose to. Typically a line up as well. There are no ATMs possibly anywhere in Cuba... I've never seen one even in Havana
Yes Tip with CUC, exchange what you need at the airport and you can exchange more at the hotel lobby desk if needed. Bring your 14m
What hotel are you staying at?
Hit me up on the beach next time you are out. I will gladly answer any questions you have.
Pete
Thanks Peter will do. A group of us are going down for my birthday, staying at the MGM Grand Muthu. Price was really good, can't complain about the location. Pray for wind!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm

OK... so I haven't stayed there but I have stayed at the SOL many times. The Muthu is brand new. and sustained some pretty serious damage last falls hurricane (although this is where all the managers of the other resorts hunkered down to brave the storm). It was not open when were were there at Christmas.
You can probably launch on the south east side on the beach in front of the lobster shack. Depending on the wind direction you will be either in the shadow of the point or trapped by it so the further SE you walk the better. We walked down to the beach to the NW.. it was not maintained and the federales posted there were not happy with us exploring down that way at all.. hopefully it will be open up for you as this beach looks amazing for north winds.
Looking forward to hearing all about it... we are heading to LaVentana in November.

justbob
Medium Poster
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster

Postby justbob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm
OK... so I haven't stayed there but I have stayed at the SOL many times. The Muthu is brand new. and sustained some pretty serious damage last falls hurricane (although this is where all the managers of the other resorts hunkered down to brave the storm). It was not open when were were there at Christmas.
You can probably launch on the south east side on the beach in front of the lobster shack. Depending on the wind direction you will be either in the shadow of the point or trapped by it so the further SE you walk the better. We walked down to the beach to the NW.. it was not maintained and the federales posted there were not happy with us exploring down that way at all.. hopefully it will be open up for you as this beach looks amazing for north winds.
Looking forward to hearing all about it... we are heading to LaVentana in November.
My understanding is that there are 2 resorts being built on the point. I can only guess that the northerly beach will be accessible to both resorts at some point in the future.
Makes it a great spot for NNW through SE winds. LV, niiice!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:49 pm

All beaches in Cuba are public so yes it should be accessible to all, but its Cuba, they can do what they want and you really have no say...

Return to “Kitesurfing”