Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm
Brand Affiliation: None

My tube is wet

Postby Whattheflock » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:21 am

On the inside. I left the valve out during a boat rescue and a little water got inside the tube. I got most of it out though. Any advise?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: My tube is wet

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:55 am

That's what she said.

... had to. Just....had to.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 am

Wasaga so fresh water ? No problems then it will evaporate next time you are pumped up if it's a dry day.

Salt water, bad news because the salt water after evaporating will leave behind large salt crystals which can cause minute pinholes in the bladder.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:50 am

So what happens to the salt crystals drying on the outside after a session?
Dry kite rolled up, then maybe a few weeks later, bounces around a car for a while, why are my bladders not all failing?

GregK wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 am
Wasaga so fresh water ? No problems then it will evaporate next time you are pumped up if it's a dry day.

Salt water, bad news because the salt water after evaporating will leave behind large salt crystals which can cause minute pinholes in the bladder.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:26 am

salt inside is no issue for kites. I have had this a few times and it doesn't affect the bladder. There will be millions of salt crystals between the outside of the bladder and dacron already. Try and drain the kite and pump up a few times. The pressure of air rushing out when deflating the main bladder will pull the remaining droplets out after a few sessions. I would bet every main bladder has a few sand grains in there already from pump nozzels, and these don't cause constant bladder failures.
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks guys. It was freshwater. I have the kite pumped up in my basement upside down so all the water has a chance to run down to the air hole..

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:27 am

Been doing doing kite repair full-time for the past 6 years, and have seen what happens when salt water is left inside LE or strut bladders, for example here's the wingtip of a kite that's had a a few wet pack-downs without draining out the saltwater that got in, or flushing with fresh water :
The clear particles inside this bladder are not sand, they are salt.

Agree that a few teaspoons of saltwater will likely not coalesce and evaporate in one or two places, but with a bit more, maybe several tablespoon or more, that will collect in the wingtips or strut end fold-over, where it slowly evaporates, creating the large ( several mm ) sharp-edged sodium chloride crystals. Once all the water has evaporated, the crystals will move around, and if in a fold of excess bladder that sees bladder pressure and water impact pressure, they will pinhole the bladder. I know this from being the guy tasked with finding and patching slow-leaking kites, and explaining why the kite has so many pinhole leaks.

Also agree with Billy G-G that most sand inside a bladder isn't a problem, because usually sand particles have rounded edges. Sharp-edged shell fragments or small sharp pebbles, different story.

Return to “Kitesurfing”