Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Harnesses and ribs

Postby edt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:51 pm

matth wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:12 pm
I just don't get the resistance to seats. They work better, give you much better support , less chance of rib injuries, and a far more comfortable IMO.
I like the look of the waist harness better, but there are some seat harnesses which are really sick, the dakhine one comes to mind. Toby has a good look too, he has a black waist harness with black shorts. I don't like the "diaper look". I mean go for it, if it's your thing, but that's the number one reason I think not to wear any old seat harness. I also love the look of the ride engine waist harness (it's what I'm using now). I ride my harness with about 1 or 2 inches slack. To keep it from riding up I will bring the kite down low. The slack gives you a bit more give on a bad crash not as bad for the ribs.

So much about kiteboarding is "style" is your style wakestyle, airstyle, surf, hydrofoil,foil kite, inflatable, what is your style? Part of having style is deciding on waist vs seat. There's no wrong answer. Ride with style, and throw down that's all you have to do. Create a style and make it your own. For me that means waist harness.

If you are worried about your ribs using a seat harness is a great answer. I don't think there's really an good technical reason to prefer one over the other. It really is about style I think. You can unhook perfectly well on a seat harness.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:51 pm
matth wrote:
I just don't get the resistance to seats. They work better, give you much better support , less chance of rib injuries, and a far more comfortable IMO.
I like the look of the waist harness better, but there are some seat harnesses which are really sick, the dakhine one comes to mind. Toby has a good look too, he has a black waist harness with black shorts. I don't like the "diaper look". I mean go for it, if it's your thing, but that's the number one reason I think not to wear any old seat harness. I also love the look of the ride engine waist harness (it's what I'm using now). I ride my harness with about 1 or 2 inches slack. To keep it from riding up I will bring the kite down low. The slack gives you a bit more give on a bad crash not as bad for the ribs.

So much about kiteboarding is "style" is your style wakestyle, airstyle, surf, hydrofoil,foil kite, inflatable, what is your style? Part of having style is deciding on waist vs seat. There's no wrong answer. Ride with style, and throw down that's all you have to do. Create a style and make it your own. For me that means waist harness.

If you are worried about your ribs using a seat harness is a great answer. I don't think there's really an good technical reason to prefer one over the other. It really is about style I think. You can unhook perfectly well on a seat harness.
At the top of your post you quote this ..
matth wrote:
... and then proceed to counter it with "style"! :lol:

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:54 pm

did I tell you about the 22s on my escalade? sometimes its not about performance

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:41 pm
... we got Dakine to design and produce the Nitrous Shorts, most comfortable harness I've ever used and I used to sell them in their thousand.
Agreed. I have been using the Dakine Nitrous shorts for years now. A great product. Ion makes a similar product.
My friends who had rib problems were forced to use these and then they never went back to a waist harness.

:wink: CG
Attachments
dakine2018_nitrous-2.jpg
dakine2018_nitrous-2.jpg (130.28 KiB) Viewed 853 times
48802-4713_B2_cq_composed_resized.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:37 pm

those look awesome.

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:26 pm

I am an older beginner and do not care much about how I look.
Got myself Dakine Nitrous this year having injured my back kitesurfing with a waist last year.
Was very comfortable for me, practically was able to forget about harness and about hook going up when kite is high etc. But main result I was able to forget about my back problem... :D
Obviously low hook means I never felt any pressure on my ribs - even when lofted in the air suddenly and flying over my board :).
The shape of the spreader bar (narrow (vertically) in the centre and wider(higher) to the sides) seems also help not noticing when kite pulls up - even if it rotates slightly up - it still follows the curve of your body... The best way I can describe it is that it is almost like a cylinder - or rather like 2 cones connected in the middle.
Feel is probably similar to hook which can rotate up and down on a pivot.

So definitely +1 for Nitrous shorts from me where ribs or back problem exist.
I think last year I had much more of a struggle with a waist harness AFAICR.
Keep in mind that I am a beginner who does not actually do much :)

I also tried the ION B2 harness on - did not quit work for me as I practically have no bum but a bit of belly (6 ft 2 , 94 kg).
So ION B2 XL was fine in waist but I felt I had a bit too much space/too long leg straps for my small bum. Tried L and waist was too small. Did not try to ride in it though - so this does not mean much - could have been OK with XL.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 pm
edt wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:51 pm
matth wrote:

At the top of your post you quote this ..
matth wrote:
... and then proceed to counter it with "style"! :lol:

Exactly...its all about fashion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”