Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What harness to choose? Mystic vs Prolimit

Postby sebastienbolhuis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi guys,

I'm quite new in the kitesurfing scene and I was looking to buy a harness.
Now I found two and am doubting between the 2018 Mystic Star and the 2016 Prolimit Predator.

I was wondering if somebody has any experience with one of these harnesses or could give me some advice.
Also, is there a big difference between a single strap and double strap system?
Thirdly, what impact does the size of the back end of your harness have on performance and support/comfort?

I've looked up some reviews on the predator, which were all very positive, but have not found any on the Mystic Star.

Thanks a lot!!!

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: What harness to choose? Mystic vs Prolimit

Postby POACHER » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 pm

So the first thing everyone here (myself included) will tell you is to go try them on. Don't go by what someone says is "the ultimate" harness because it really comes down to fit. Everyone's body is shaped really differently, so hard to go based off of some random net suggestions.....

However, I have some experience with both companies' harnesses. I had a Pro Limit Predator for a couple of years (liked it!), and followed it up with the Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (liked it better) for another year. I really am a fan of Pro Limits harnesses. They just seem to really hold up well and fit my average/athletic 5'11" and 190 lbs frame well (size Medium) I like the Fat Bar entry/exit system too. Easy on/off. The straps they used are tube webbing and they never frayed, broke or prematurely gave me any issues.

Since then I've tried a few of the hardshell harnesses. I think these are even more important to try on in person to find fit. The 2017 Ride Engine Carbon I bought just didn't work with my back shape well, and the strap system wasn't really holding up so after a few months it was punted. I'm currently using a Mystic Majestic X and I love it. Less curve to it's lumbar so it doesn't create a pressure point on me. It also uses a quick release entry/exist with double webbing straps that are holding up great after a year of use. It's also very light and so far durable.

So this last winter, a friend of mine who has the same Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (M) asked me if he could try my Mystic. So we swapped and went out for a 30 min. session. After the session, I noticed my ribs were a little chaffed and quite sore. I was surprised at just how different the same harness I used to own fit me so drastically from the Mystic. I couldn't wait to get back to my MX. (that friend recently just bought the same harness as well, so he too was sold.)
Not a dig at Pro Limit, I think the difference was more in the traditional harness vs. hardshell and I'll never go back to a standard harness again. I'd love to try a Pro Limit Vapor hardshell harness sometime, but they're just hard to find in the States.

If I was new to kiting I would look at the standard Majestic hardshell and not pay the premium for the X carbon. If you have a chance try a Pro Limit Vapor too. I think the hardshell harness is worth the extra $$$.
In the end, go for what FITS!

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby Rob_85 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:26 pm

POACHER wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 pm
So the first thing everyone here (myself included) will tell you is to go try them on. Don't go by what someone says is "the ultimate" harness because it really comes down to fit. Everyone's body is shaped really differently, so hard to go based off of some random net suggestions.....

However, I have some experience with both companies' harnesses. I had a Pro Limit Predator for a couple of years (liked it!), and followed it up with the Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (liked it better) for another year. I really am a fan of Pro Limits harnesses. They just seem to really hold up well and fit my average/athletic 5'11" and 190 lbs frame well (size Medium) I like the Fat Bar entry/exit system too. Easy on/off. The straps they used are tube webbing and they never frayed, broke or prematurely gave me any issues.

Since then I've tried a few of the hardshell harnesses. I think these are even more important to try on in person to find fit. The 2017 Ride Engine Carbon I bought just didn't work with my back shape well, and the strap system wasn't really holding up so after a few months it was punted. I'm currently using a Mystic Majestic X and I love it. Less curve to it's lumbar so it doesn't create a pressure point on me. It also uses a quick release entry/exist with double webbing straps that are holding up great after a year of use. It's also very light and so far durable.

So this last winter, a friend of mine who has the same Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro (M) asked me if he could try my Mystic. So we swapped and went out for a 30 min. session. After the session, I noticed my ribs were a little chaffed and quite sore. I was surprised at just how different the same harness I used to own fit me so drastically from the Mystic. I couldn't wait to get back to my MX. (that friend recently just bought the same harness as well, so he too was sold.)
Not a dig at Pro Limit, I think the difference was more in the traditional harness vs. hardshell and I'll never go back to a standard harness again. I'd love to try a Pro Limit Vapor hardshell harness sometime, but they're just hard to find in the States.

If I was new to kiting I would look at the standard Majestic hardshell and not pay the premium for the X carbon. If you have a chance try a Pro Limit Vapor too. I think the hardshell harness is worth the extra $$$.
This is good advice. Whatever fits you best is best. I’m also a fan of hardshell harnesses.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Whole reason for making so called hardshells are short spreader bars. They make hardshell to solve problem that will be sorted by itself by sufficient long spreader bar. Most harness have ridiculous short bars. The point of spreader bar is SPREAD /spread load to sides so load doesnt pinch you/ and it cannot happen if is too short.
Go for harness where you can choose spreader bar size and choose one that really SPREAD. If the back side is competent enough it will be ok than.

sebastienbolhuis
Rare Poster

Postby sebastienbolhuis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm

POACHER wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you so much for the advice, appreciate it a lot! I wanted to buy one online, but I guess i'll head out to a shop in order to try them on :D

sebastienbolhuis
Rare Poster

Postby sebastienbolhuis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:30 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:17 pm
Whole reason for making so called hardshells are short spreader bars. They make hardshell to solve problem that will be sorted by itself by sufficient long spreader bar. Most harness have ridiculous short bars. The point of spreader bar is SPREAD /spread load to sides so load doesnt pinch you/ and it cannot happen if is too short.
Go for harness where you can choose spreader bar size and choose one that really SPREAD. If the back side is competent enough it will be ok than.
Thanks, so the bigger the better?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:46 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:17 pm
True as far as it goes but there is more to the story. The pinch is one aspect of the hard shell benefit that a much longer spreader bar might help with but does nothing for the fit/bar movement. A hard shell worn tight the way it is supposed to be worn will, if it fits properly, will keep the harness and bar from moving side to side as well as up and down. Used with a rope slider this makes toeside much more comfortable and easier than any softer waist harness. Especially if you are jumping as well. Keeps everything where it needs to be so less rib damage/pain with riding and on big crashes. The longer bar will not change this aspect from my experience.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Almost every good modern harness is "quite" hardshell for quite long time and controversially hard shell are no longer so hard anymore. First hardshell ride engine was all custom mades /literary baked on your back/ this for sure work as you describe /even thought not really necessary/. But as soon as they start production version /when Slingshot buy them/ they made it a lot softer because they must be comfortable for every people and that true hard shell will be not. Good strap design /2 per side from different angle/ and general shape and material is as important as "hardshellness". Also any harness with rope will work infinitely better than same harness with hook - because with hook there is lever that twist harness either to sides and either up and down - so they are more forces and it wont stay on place and if you tighted it enough that it will the resulting forces are uncomfy to you. Ride engine in general have very good spreader design and a lot of sizes to choose from. Also whole harness is very good design. But IMO this is why they work. Ozone harness is one of softest harness quite minimalistic design and works very good also. Very locked. About spreader bar size.
It must spread almost to your hip bones so you are virtually pulled on your hip bones and not crushed. But any bigger and you cannot tighten it enough and it will be loose. Actually spreader fit is much more important than harness back fit because it is unadjustable and harness itself you can adjust with straps etc... So optimaly they should make more SB sizes and less harness sizes. But in reality there are a lot of harnesses that share one SB size for all sizes.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm

sebastienbolhuis wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Hi guys,

Now I found two and am doubting between the 2018 Mystic Star and the 2016 Prolimit Predator.

I was wondering if somebody has any experience with one of these harnesses or could give me some advice.
Thirdly, what impact does the size of the back end of your harness have on performance and support/comfort?

I've looked up some reviews on the predator, which were all very positive, but have not found any on the Mystic Star.

Thanks a lot!!!
Buy a hardshell, it does make a difference.

So it’s either Ride, Mystic X, or Ion something I believe. But do go hardshell.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm

vannibombonato wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm
sebastienbolhuis wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!!!
Buy a hardshell, it does make a difference.

So it’s either Ride, Mystic X, or Ion something Ion believe. But do go hardshell.

Return to “Kitesurfing”