Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Re: Beginner kite- Core XR5 or Naish Pivot

Postby Barryg101 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 am

As a beginner absolutely no need to be splashing out on new kites like these even if $$ is not a concern . It's pointless, buy a good secondhand kite for half the price and when you've gotten some skills and understanding then start searching for a kite that suits .

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Barryg101 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 am
As a beginner absolutely no need to be splashing out on new kites like these even if $$ is not a concern . It's pointless, buy a good secondhand kite for half the price and when you've gotten some skills and understanding then start searching for a kite that suits .
I dunno. I've seen kiters be taken for a joy ride coming back with an old very worn kite because they could not judge well that the kite was worn.

bradleygood
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks below Nags Head
Ocean City, NJ
LBI, NJ
Gear: 2017 Slingshot Wave SST Kite 9M
Real Slingshot surfboard strapless
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bradleygood » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:10 pm
Barryg101 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 am
I dunno. I've seen kiters be taken for a joy ride coming back with an old very worn kite because they could not judge well that the kite was worn.
Yea a used kite means someone else banged it up for a year and unloaded a damaged kite. Or beginners at a kite school banged it up.

Buy the new kite and then practice flying it and body dragging until you are an expert and don't bang it up, take care of it. That's what I decided.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:53 pm

If only you knew how many people drop half a fortune on all the latest gear only to never use it and then sell it all 18 months later. So many practically unused kites out there that go for 30% off or more.

OP: It’s pretty easy to judge whether a used kite is a good deal or not. Check for cuts on the leading edge and whether the trailing edge feels like tissue paper. Check bridle lines and pulleys (if it’s got them) for wear. If the kite has had repairs I would steer clear.

You say you want to go into jumps and hooked-in tricks, you need to get a good used kite (like a Rally or Bandit) you can bang up while you progress. It won’t be long before you’re at a decent level if you can get out once or twice a week. But if money is no issue the XR or possibly a Nexus or Enduro (XR is not a great wave kite) would be my suggestion.
Last edited by SaltWaterDog on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:53 pm
If only you knew how many people drop half a fortune on all the latest gear only to never use it and then sell it all 18 months later. So many practically unused kites out there that go for 30% off or more.

OP: It’s pretty easy to judge whether a used kite is a good deal or not. Check for cuts on the leading edge and whether the trailing edge feels like tissue paper. Check bridle lines and pulleys (if it’s got them) for wear. If the kite has had repairs I would steer clear.

You say you want to go into jumps and hooked-in tricks, you need to get a good used kite (like a Rally or Bandit) you can bang up while you progress. It won’t be long before you’re at a decent level if you can get out once or twice a week. But if money is no issue the XR or possibly a Nexus or Edge (XR is not a great wave kite) would be my suggestion.
Its clear to someone who has seen the difference a few times. A beginner does not have that skill. OP is already asking for a kite to get into jumping and hooked in tricks...the pivot is perfect for it. :thumb:

Look I am not saying a beginner should never buy a used kite, I am just saying there is heightened risk because of the beginner's inexperience in evaluating the gear. I also think it's a good chance to start a customer relationship with a shop simply because of all the questions and help a beginner needs.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm

My comment was directed at bradleygood and I agree with you, it’s not always straight forward buying used gear and yes, there is more risk you’ll get a dud. I’ve had friends get their instructor involved and I’ve helped out a few newbies myself. It’s not complicated, you just have to make sure you check all the right boxes.

Pivot is a great 3-strut option (certainly my favorite Naish kite) and it’ll turn better than the XR. Depends what OP wants. Personally, I enjoy boosting and hooked-in riding the most so 5-strut XR it is. Pivot can’t compete with the XR for airtime and the XR will never deliver wave riding like the Pivot.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:29 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm
My comment was directed at bradleygood and I agree with you, it’s not always straight forward buying used gear and yes, there is more risk you’ll get a dud. I’ve had friends get their instructor involved and I’ve helped out a few newbies myself. It’s not complicated, you just have to make sure you check all the right boxes.

Pivot is a great 3-strut option (certainly my favorite Naish kite) and it’ll turn better than the XR. Depends what OP wants. Personally, I enjoy boosting and hooked-in riding the most so 5-strut XR it is. Pivot can’t compete with the XR for airtime and the XR will never deliver wave riding like the Pivot.
:thumb: :thumb:
I have not ridden the XR, but I'd say the pivot can compete with most kites when it comes to airtime ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYPknhKwog&t=36s

updated link: yeah the youtube link doesn't support https.
Last edited by tautologies on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Damn, just says “playback error” when I click. New link please.

I’ve had a few tacks on a Pivot and loved it. Responsive, agile and stabile when you need it to be. Definitely a great progression kite and one that both beginners and advanced riders can enjoy equally. For me, that is the holy grail of kite design.

With respect to airtime I’ve only had similar take-off with the Edge. Highly recommend XR demo if you get the chance.

bradleygood
Rare Poster
Ocean City, NJ
LBI, NJ

Postby bradleygood » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Its really fun to get a new kite when you are a beginner! Makes you happy and excited! I just got mine an hour ago! Slingshot wave SST 2017 $599. And my wetsuit last night. O'neill Hyperfreak. $269. Really like both things and am excited to get out there - hopefully this weekend if it is calm enough at Lakes Bay in NJ....seems like the storm will stay south enough maybe.

bradleygood
Rare Poster
Ocean City, NJ
LBI, NJ