Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core GTS4 & XR5
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Re: Beginner kite- Core XR5 or Naish Pivot

Postby CaptainCore » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:26 pm

I used to sell harnesses, 5000 annually, mostly waist, why? It's mainly a vanity thing, everyone thinks waists look cooler, but seats are more comfortable. Personally I use the DaKine Nitrous shorts but with a variety of bars depending on what I'm doing, wind or kite surfing, leisure or racing. Unless the measurement around your chest in the armpit area is bigger than the measurement around your waist, don't even consider waist, they will ride up. These shell style harnesses currently the rage? Mostly Bullshit.
The original shell harness, made by the original Ride Engine company was a custom fit, actually made to measure these latest types professing to use only three size scu's can't possibly do the job for everyone. Prior to them probably the best harness company, Dakine, made 5 sizes and used three spreader bar widths. Some might use a small harness with a 12 inch bar, or a medium harness with a 10 inch, there were lots of combinations that would assist fit. The current trend of trying to fit all body shapes in only three size offerings is BS, so you have to try around, as many harness types and brands as you can, to find a decent fit. We are all different.
The other thing that is important with the two different genres, waist and seat is hook height, with a seat harness the centre of effort is generally lower than the centre of gravity so you might find controlling your position in the air a tad more difficult than with a waist harness which has a higher hook position above your centre of gravity which means the area below the hook is heavier than that above so airborne manoeuvres and tricks are easier to control and land. But, you can have seat harnesses like the Nitrous shorts with a high hook and they don't look to bad in warm water locations just riding in them and a rash. Don't be afraid to experiment, Other than your kite and board, the harness is the most important buying decision you'll make.

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 134 and 136, Cyclone 140, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Slingshot Hoverglide foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 am

By now you have gathered that there are lots of opinions on almost every topic in kitesurfing, some vehemently held. I’ve worn a seat harness for 12 years, hate waist harnesses and gave mine away. Still love my Pivots! :D

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:10 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 am
By now you have gathered that there are lots of opinions on almost every topic in kitesurfing, some vehemently held. I’ve worn a seat harness for 12 years, hate waist harnesses and gave mine away. Still love my Pivots! :D
:thumb: :thumb: I gotta say it's all about the feel on the harness, nothing to do with beginner or not... the pivot is just the best kite, so nothing to worry about that.

Chicken-loop
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: A bit of everything.

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:03 am

LL2017,

I rode my new Pivot for 3 hours yesterday on a North Nugget (strapless) and even though they are different sizes I can say that the Pivot is a lot more wave orientated than the XR5.

The Pivot was a very easy to ride kite. I really liked it at first but I need more time on it to give more info. It took a while to get use to it's flying characteristics as I was on 16m Airush One the day before and I haven't flown a small kites for 7 months. The pivot is easier to keep in the air than the XR5 and requires less attention as the XR5 tends to want to nose dive when at the edge of the window.

If you want pure Freeride, go the XR5...If you want Freeride/Wave go the Pivot, However I would probably go a Boxer 14/16 and a Pivot 10/11 if I chose to go Naish.

I really like both the Pivot & XR5 for different reasons.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop

CaptainCore
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core GTS4 & XR5
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Chicken-loop wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:03 am
LL2017,

I rode my new Pivot for 3 hours yesterday on a North Nugget (strapless) and even though they are different sizes I can say that the Pivot is a lot more wave orientated than the XR5.

The Pivot was a very easy to ride kite. I really liked it at first but I need more time on it to give more info. It took a while to get use to it's flying characteristics as I was on 16m Airush One the day before and I haven't flown a small kites for 7 months. The pivot is easier to keep in the air than the XR5 and requires less attention as the XR5 tends to want to nose dive when at the edge of the window.

If you want pure Freeride, go the XR5...If you want Freeride/Wave go the Pivot, However I would probably go a Boxer 14/16 and a Pivot 10/11 if I chose to go Naish.

I really like both the Pivot & XR5 for different reasons.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop
Or you could go for Gold, and try a Nexus, the kite Core aim at Freestyle Wave.

Return to “Kitesurfing”