Rare Poster
Gear: Cab FXs w/ xcal wood
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recommendations for medium-rockered freestyle/wakestyle board

Postby pipelinez » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:10 am

Aloha,
currently riding xcal wood 141 w/ boots and have the feeling that i want something different.
The xcal feels like it has little too much rocker and flex, its kinda slow and starts resonating when the water is not completely flat.
Want something faster and stiffer, with less rocker. Should go upwind easy since im trying to progress my unhooked riding and cba struggling to make ground after crashes.

I know the 2017 Echo has ~4,2cm rocker and the 2016 model has even less. Element is roughly the same, but still 2cm difference to the xcal which i measured at 5,8-6cm.
Grindbase would be nice, but most of the park boards like refraction/flow etc. have even more rocker.
Does anyone have any recommendations and/or experience with boards in that category?
Weight: 80kg/~175lbs.

cheers

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Re: Recommendations for medium-rockered freestyle/wakestyle board

Postby runner1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 am

Naish Monarch or North/Duotone Hadlow?

The Monarch is fast, low rocker.

The Hadlow has a bit more rocker, easier to pop (for me) but slower. It also has a grind base.

Both nice boards

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Postby jorg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 am

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 am

I hear you! i had the xcaliber and the rocker was way too much, didnt like it a lot...i have the fone wtf board now and im very happy, early planning, nice pop and good landings

pipelinez
Rare Poster
Gear: Cab FXs w/ xcal wood

Postby pipelinez » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:04 pm

jorg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 am
https://tonalife.com/product/pop-20/

happy with my POP V1
speedyRider wrote: I hear you! i had the xcaliber and the rocker was way too much, didnt like it a lot...i have the fone wtf board now and im very happy, early planning, nice pop and good landings
Had the pop on my list already. Sadly there are no people around, so no possibility for a test.
I know rocker is not everything regarding planing/upwindability but would be sick if i can get some measurements from both of you guys ;)!
runner1 wrote: Naish Monarch or North/Duotone Hadlow?

The Monarch is fast, low rocker.

The Hadlow has a bit more rocker, easier to pop (for me) but slower. It also has a grind base.

Both nice boards
Don't like the naish boards at all. Had a look at north/duotone team series & hadlow, but they're a bit pricey.

Boards i'm considering so far:
LF Echo,Element
Fone Wtf
Tona Pop

Probably won't get to test ride all of them, so i'd appreciate it if you guys share your experience!

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:14 pm

pipelinez wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:10 am
Aloha,
currently riding xcal wood 141 w/ boots and have the feeling that i want something different.
The xcal feels like it has little too much rocker and flex, its kinda slow and starts resonating when the water is not completely flat.
Want something faster and stiffer, with less rocker. Should go upwind easy since im trying to progress my unhooked riding and cba struggling to make ground after crashes.

I know the 2017 Echo has ~4,2cm rocker and the 2016 model has even less. Element is roughly the same, but still 2cm difference to the xcal which i measured at 5,8-6cm.
Grindbase would be nice, but most of the park boards like refraction/flow etc. have even more rocker.
Does anyone have any recommendations and/or experience with boards in that category?
Weight: 80kg/~175lbs.

cheers
Was going to suggest going up in size as opposed to reduction in rocker but 141 for 80kg is about right, something to consider maybe? I would guess it's the flex rather than rocker that's causing you probs. I hate compromising performance for things like upwind and the non fun side of things... after a good run of jumps and tricks i tend to do a single monster tack out to sea too make back the ground... then repeat :D

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 pm

How about the Crazyfly Raptor or Bulldozer?

Return to “Kitesurfing”