Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Kite type and line length % effect on jump height

Postby ichabod » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 am

I'd be really interested to know much effect the kite design and line length has on jumping height. Anyone here with a lot of experience testing with Woo etc with different kite styles? Would be good to hear from pros who regularly jump 20m plus how much they think their kite choice affects their max jumping potential.. are we talking 10% or 50%?

With line length I know that longer lines jump higher and can feel it myself going from 22m to 24m lines. But has anyone got any more quantitative info? (hard to get I know)

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite type and line length % effect on jump height

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 am

If memory serves me correct, Kevin Langree uses 27m lines as that combined with the Pivot gives the best height and control.

My woo hasn't told me I have gone higher than 16m so maybe not the pro you're looking for.

I know that I jump higher on my 10m Edge with 23m lines on 20s it really didn't feel great for jumping as the whip was so fast you didn't have time to really get the most out of it. I haven't tried 27m lines on it. Longer lines for sure take the flavor out of loops but that's not what you're asking.

On my Sonic FR 15, I used to use 27m lines which means the kite is on 32m or something due to the bridle length. On 27s, the kite jumped super well and downloops were tame. These days I am riding it on 23s and it seems to work really well, a good amount of speed through the send and long enough to get good float. I have a new bar coming with 25m lines which I think will be the magic amount. Once again this is different to a tube kite as the bridle means the kite is further away due to bridle. I've had nearly 15m on the Sonic so it's not bad for a light wind kite.

I'd trust Kevin and go with longer lines.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite type and line length % effect on jump height

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 am

I have a contrary experience, I'm jumping higher on 21m lines then 24m. Same bar but moved to 21m when ordering new lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”