Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

DIY short surfboard leash\tail?

Postby CorradoWest » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm looking for suggestions...
When riding my surfboard in waves and losing my board, I get to the beach pick up my board and head back to the water. In higher winds sometimes it's convenient to hold the very small loop of line that is in the leash plug at the tail of the board. When I used this board for actual "surfing" this is where the ankle lease would be attached.
I slip a finger in the loop and the board stays downwind while I time the set waves. What i want to create is a 6 to about 12 inch handle or tail that I can tie into the leash plug to give me more to grab into. But...I want to avoid drag or something that gets in the way. I hope this makes sense. Any of you DIY'ers have solutions you care to share?
Thanks,
CW

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: DIY short surfboard leash\tail?

Postby BWD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:12 pm

If you have an old surf leash just cut the PU leash part and use the webbing Velcro attachment part for your handle.
If not, get some hollow/tubular webbing and some paracord. Tie a loop in paracord and insert the knotted end into the hollow webbing, then tie an overhand knot in the webbing with the knotted cord inside, looped part hanging out end a little, just enough to attach to the leash insert in the surfboard. Leave ends of knotted cord long enough to stick out the other end of webbing. Tie an overhand knot in that end too. Should make webbing stiff so it won’t drag. If not try shoving something else in there, pu tube or whatever...

Return to “Kitesurfing”