Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

WOO consistency

Forum for kitesurfers
SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

WOO consistency

Postby SalmonSlayer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm

I want to be clear that my post is not about WOO accuracy. It is about WOO consistency. I dont care if it measures 3 FT high or low (OK high is better :-))

I have used the WOO 2 & 3. I have worked in industries where judging distances is important. I should be reasonably capable of judging distances.

I do not believe my WOO is measuring my jumps consistently. My Max per WOO is 32.9ft. Before that jump I fully believe I have jumped higher and following that jump I am certain I have jumped higher. I am fairly certain, based on my judgement, I hit at least 40 yesterday, but my WOO red 26ft. I am at the point I want to throw it out. I bought the WOO so I could measure improvement and enjoy friendly competition on the water. I am at the point now that I think it is pointless if the WOO cant provide consistent measurements so I can gauge improvements.

-First I have to consider that it is my perception and nothing else. After multiple observations I dont think it is my judgement that is off, but it could be me.
-Next I am considering that it may be a difference in the board, launch technique or how much I load and pop.
-Third I am wondering if the WOO is just incapable of consistently measuring my jumps.

On multiple occasions I am sure I exceeded my 32ft jump. Then I download the session and I am disappointed. Yesterday, I was more certain than ever that I exceeded my highest WOO measured jump. My growing doubts make me want to leave it on the beach.

Is it me?
Are there reasons why WOO would work differently for different sessions?
Could the board of launch technique make a difference?
OR??

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: WOO consistency

Postby knyfe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:44 pm

I don’t have a Woo but it’s very easy to check how high you are relative to your friends kite in the air. If I look down at kites it was definitely a good jump ;-) just assume that have 23m lines plus a bit of kite makes it 25 then assume they have it a 45 deg which makes it sqrt(2)=1.4 so total of 17 meters.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm

I do not doubt your ability to judge distance, but it is a hard rule that one cannot judge one’s own jump height. This has been true before and after Woo/Xsenr/PIQ.

A good test is to stand on top of a 12 foot ladder. While it feels like you are in orbit, it is only 12 feet, which is a very small jump.

Another way to gauge yourself is to have an observer watch two kiters, one of the two being you. Keep your eyes on the other guy to see how high he jumps. Then afterwards ask the observer who generally jumps higher and how much. You can begin to calibrate your own sense of jump height from there.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm

I have to say I am great at judging other peoples heights from a distance. Before my buddies check their data I will guess their height from the jumps I saw, I am usually within a few feet. I believe the woo is actually very accurate.

Bladesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: HagaPark Öland Sweden
Style: Old school Boosting and looping.
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 13m
Ozone Edge V9 8m
Noblie 2HD 134*42.5
Brand Affiliation: Ozone local teamrider.

Postby Bladesurfer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 pm

matth wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm
I have to say I am great at judging other peoples heights from a distance. Before my buddies check their data I will guess their height from the jumps I saw, I am usually within a few feet. I believe the woo is actually very accurate.
I agree. We usually guess the result before we upload and we are often very near the result. Only once in a while (2/10) someone gets strange result.
I try to use my action cam in combination with my Woo to compare what looks big and what Woo says is big.
These two jumps seems to add up with the Woo according to height and hangtime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUwMvojJnMw Woo said 17.6m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMaI95LUPnQ 12m and 9.7sec

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
I hit at least 40 yesterday, but my WOO red 26ft.
I have not heard that one since woo1 days..
Most complaints are that woo 2-3s are way too generous giving out 40ft scores :-D

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that you hit 40..
what were the conditions and gear?
what was the hangtime on that 40ft jump?

Maybe it's a bad woo, who knows.. mine does not mind giving me 40s on a good windy day.. like today.. :-D

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 am

deniska wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 am
I have not heard that one since woo1 days..
Most complaints are that woo 2-3s are way too generous giving out 40ft scores :-D

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that you hit 40..
what were the conditions and gear?
what was the hangtime on that 40ft jump?

Maybe it's a bad woo, who knows.. mine does not mind giving me 40s on a good windy day.. like today.. :-D
My judgements on my height are using my recorded 32ft jump and estimating how high I go compared to that jump. I am not estimating how high off the water I am jumping. I just dont remember the 32 footer being as high as some of my later jumps at all. Not even close.

I dont know what my hang time was. I got annoyed and deleted the session.

I was riding a 2018 10m Pivot between 2PM and 4PM. See pic

From the responses I am reluctantly willing to assume it is me and not the WOO. Rarely has my judgement been so far different from reality in any aspect of my life.
Screenshot_20180924-181646.png

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:40 am

I feel the same, You know when you've done a big one . But woo doesn't say it. My biggest was on woo1 at 12.6 meters and that was way higher than the 14 meters on the woo 3. Acouple of weeks ago the boys on the beach thought I got around 18 meters but was only 11.9. That one felt the biggest id ever boosted.

andreyk72
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 17, NKB Evo 12 and 9, Flysurfer Sonic FR 15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby andreyk72 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:17 am

Take woo3 and some supported smart watch on the water. You'll get immediate info how you jump. My experience the woo3 does not register some jumps at all by some reason. Initially i thought this is because not clear landings, but not. Maybe because I'm too heavy - 105 kg, and things happen too slow, no idea.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 am

Smartwatch, woo should implement screenlock on wear os swatch. Xensr did..

Return to “Kitesurfing”